The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new here. Type 1 diabetic going on 16 years. Glyco usually in the 6.1 to 6.8 range.

Here's my conundrum.

Chronic, Gnawing, Burning Left Side Pain. Had it now for......oooooh....4 years. Tested for parasites, gastroparesis, viruses, panrcreatitis, gallbladder, kidney, liver, spleen, celiacs...all negative. Had the upper and lower scope, endoscopic ultrasound, 3 CT's...etc, etc, etc...man this is getting old.

Goes away when I lay flat on my back or when waking up first thing in the morning. It usually isn't there until after eating breakfast. Food triggers it, sometimes I get mild fever 99-100 degrees. And recently, I have started noticing excessive perspiration on my left side only, under my arms and along ribs.

This is so fun because every time I go to a doctor they just stare at me like a deer in headlights and tell me they want to run another CT or do more bloodwork, which inevitibly comes back normal. My last doc visit, they even recorded an elevated temperature. 99.8. Concerned, and seeing I wasn't just making up a complicated story, doc ordered kidney, liver, pancreatic enzyme tests...all of which came back normal.

Mainly, I just wanna know....any other type 1 diabetics out there with the problem or similar set of symptoms? If so, what the heck is it?? Maybe this isn't even diabetes related, I don't know what to think anymore.

My hands and feet are great, no tingling or numbness at all and I don't seem to have any apparent forms of neuropathy. My last digestive emptying study was "slightly" fast...not slow or dangerously erratic.

Anyone? Same stuff? ...left side pain, laying on back helps, eating makes worse, not so bad first thing in morning before breakfast....sometimes fevers, and left side sweating. Weird I know....trust me, I know! I'm at my wits end though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Gee this is very strange indeed and I suppose the BG's are well in control. I don't have the condition that you have but I sure hope that there is someone out there that can help. :)

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, welcome to our community! Have you been to an allergist? You may have a food allergy. I am allergic to shell fish (crab, shrimp, clams, lobster, etc). I have terrible reactions when i eat them. You may have a food allergy too. Some people are allergic to peanuts and suffer when they eat them. There are many other foods that some people cannot eat. If you have the pain after breakfast then examine what you eat for that meal. Start eliminating one of the things you eat on a regular basis to see if it helps. If not then eliminate another instead, etc. You may discover an allergy this way by trial and error. I still advise a food allergy test so seeing an allergist might help. Good luck!

Richard

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have had chronic left side pain for almost 3 years now. All of my tests and scans come back normal as well. My doctors prob think that I am crazy. I am also at my wits end. My pain is semi relieved when I lay on that side. Let me know if your docs find anything. I am curious as to how you are doing today. ____________________________________________________
Hello all, I'm new here. Type 1 diabetic going on 16 years. Glyco usually in the 6.1 to 6.8 range.

Here's my conundrum.

Chronic, Gnawing, Burning Left Side Pain. Had it now for......oooooh....4 years. Tested for parasites, gastroparesis, viruses, panrcreatitis, gallbladder, kidney, liver, spleen, celiacs...all negative. Had the upper and lower scope, endoscopic ultrasound, 3 CT's...etc, etc, etc...man this is getting old.

Goes away when I lay flat on my back or when waking up first thing in the morning. It usually isn't there until after eating breakfast. Food triggers it, sometimes I get mild fever 99-100 degrees. And recently, I have started noticing excessive perspiration on my left side only, under my arms and along ribs.

This is so fun because every time I go to a doctor they just stare at me like a deer in headlights and tell me they want to run another CT or do more bloodwork, which inevitibly comes back normal. My last doc visit, they even recorded an elevated temperature. 99.8. Concerned, and seeing I wasn't just making up a complicated story, doc ordered kidney, liver, pancreatic enzyme tests...all of which came back normal.

Mainly, I just wanna know....any other type 1 diabetics out there with the problem or similar set of symptoms? If so, what the heck is it?? Maybe this isn't even diabetes related, I don't know what to think anymore.

My hands and feet are great, no tingling or numbness at all and I don't seem to have any apparent forms of neuropathy. My last digestive emptying study was "slightly" fast...not slow or dangerously erratic.

Anyone? Same stuff? ...left side pain, laying on back helps, eating makes worse, not so bad first thing in morning before breakfast....sometimes fevers, and left side sweating. Weird I know....trust me, I know! I'm at my wits end though.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Here's my conundrum.

Two things come to mind.
1. Food reactions. I would keep a detailed diary of what you eat and also the ingredients of any foods that are packaged including sauces, seasonings, rubs, etc. I
For me it is corn and corn is in everything. If I eat corn I end up in neuropathy nightmare that lasts up to 48 hours. The one good thing is that I am losing weight since I have removed corn from my diet.
2. The other thing to consider is that you are Omeprazole or some other OTC proton pump inhibitor. I take Protonix and before I was on it I would get horrible chest pains that made me sweat and I really thought I was having a heart attack. The only thing that would stop it was Pepto Bismo and a gas pill that had simethicone in it.

I knwow it will take time to figure out what the culprit is but I know you can do it. I wish you the best success in your detective work and finding the culprit and finally obtaining relief.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts