The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a type one diabetic and have been for 18 years. I'm 26 years old and my A1C has been between 7.5 and 10 for most of my life. For the past three or four years, it has been between 8 and 9. I also have thyroid disease and Celiac's disease. I have a healthy weight.

For two and a half years now, I've been suffering from pain in my back and neck region. Specifically the muscle that begins at the point in my shoulder blade and ends in the back of my neck. I feel the pain concentrated in the point of my shoulder blade. The pain is almost gone when I'm lying down with no pillow and is at its worst when I'm sitting. I can't wear necklaces or anything like a helmet because the weight hurts a lot. Advil helps very little. I've been going to physical therapy for six months, which has helped a little bit, but overall I've seen very little change in the amount of pain I have. I find that if I sit for more than 20 minutes, say at dinner, I have to stand up because the pain is too bad. The pain is usually in the right shoulder, but alternates to the left occasionally.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I'd be so incredibly grateful for any help.

All best,
K

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Have some one find the groove in the middle of your shoulder blade when your arm is wrapped to your side. This groove house a nerve that travels down your arm. If its inflamed ( bursitis ) it will hurt like poo and make everything around it hurt. Have them press on the nerve gently, if it hurts like heck theres your problem. Steroid injection should take care of it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Have you gotten any dental work done? I know it messes me up! I had a crown that was absolutely disabling -- have your dentist check all your cusps.

Also CHECK YOUR THYROID.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thyroid is good, and I haven't recently had any dental work. When someone pushes on the spot I feel relief while they're pushing, but the pain comes back as soon as they stop. It definitely doesn't hurt the rest of my arm. I've tried the injections, and they only helped for a few days. I also get massages, which feel nice, but don't help the pain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi...I am a type 1, I have been having collar bone and right shoulder pain for months now. Sometimes it radiates down to just below my shoulder blade, but mostly my right shoulder and collar bone! I take 2-3 advil at bedtime which helps this and my RLS in my legs! Will be seeing a dr...sometime in the next month for this problem! Hope you feel better and find an answer soon!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Do you get a "real" massage? A massage that actually helps your muscles relax doesn't feel "good" at all. In fact, it usually feels uncomfortable, but not to the point of pain, but then afterward your muscles are so much looser that it feels much better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you considered tying a chiropractor? I had very little movement in my neck and a sore back a lot of the time coupled with headaches and after treatment from my chiropractor (it took a while) I feel like a million bucks. No headaches and no problems with my neck or back.

Linda

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Thyroid is good, and I haven't recently had any dental work. When someone pushes on the spot I feel relief while they're pushing, but the pain comes back as soon as they stop. It definitely doesn't hurt the rest of my arm. I've tried the injections, and they only helped for a few days. I also get massages, which feel nice, but don't help the pain.
Could it be the chair you are spending most time in, then? Perhaps adjusting your posture ... I have TMJ, and am amazed by how the slightest change (witness my dental temp crown) helps! Anything that moves my jaw position ...

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am a type one diabetic and have been for 18 years. I'm 26 years old and my A1C has been between 7.5 and 10 for most of my life. For the past three or four years, it has been between 8 and 9. I also have thyroid disease and Celiac's disease. I have a healthy weight.

For two and a half years now, I've been suffering from pain in my back and neck region. Specifically the muscle that begins at the point in my shoulder blade and ends in the back of my neck. I feel the pain concentrated in the point of my shoulder blade. The pain is almost gone when I'm lying down with no pillow and is at its worst when I'm sitting. I can't wear necklaces or anything like a helmet because the weight hurts a lot. Advil helps very little. I've been going to physical therapy for six months, which has helped a little bit, but overall I've seen very little change in the amount of pain I have. I find that if I sit for more than 20 minutes, say at dinner, I have to stand up because the pain is too bad. The pain is usually in the right shoulder, but alternates to the left occasionally.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I'd be so incredibly grateful for any help.

All best,
K
I am sorry that you are having problems with your shoulder and neck region. I don't know what is causing your problem but it could be a pinched nerve or pulled muscle or torn rotator cuff or any number of things. I would ask for a referral to see an orthopedist and a neurologist to find out what is the reason for the pain and what is available for treatment.
There are several people on the neuropathy forums that have similar pain like you are describing. Neuropathy can affect one nerve or several nerves or many nerves. Let's just say neuropathy doesn't play fair..
With your symptoms I would want to find out what is the cause, so I can get treatment that helps or heals, the latter being the optimal choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I stumbled on to you post from several years ago about your pain between the shoulder blades and neck. Reading your post, it sounds like I have the same symptoms. Did you ever figure out what was causing this? Hope you are well..

·
Super Moderator
9,522 Posts
The OP hasn't been back to the forum since June of 2013, and most of those responding haven't been around actively in awhile. If you would, start a new thread in this sub-forum. You will have a better chance of it being seen and responded to more quickly by someone who has recently dealt with this.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
@Nugentjr87

This is, indeed, a very old thread, which, for some reason,wasn't automatically closed after a year of inactivity. All the folks who posted in the thread are no longer active on the forum.

I'll leave it open to see if you get any responses. If not, you probably should start a new thread that describes your own issues - which might get more replies.

(I did think the suggestions on this thread were good, though).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

All best,
K
Hey mkatiem, back in 2005, I was diagnosed with Cervical Spinal Stenosis aka bulging discs on my C4-C6. My pain was as you described:crying:. I had to sleep in a sitting position surrounded by pillows. The only time my shoulders didn't hurt was when I raised my arms above my head. I would actually feel some relief. I made a doc appt, and he scheduled me for an MRI. I finally had a diagnosis and immediately started treatment. I've been avoiding surgery. So far so good.

For treatment, I was getting steroid injections on my C4-C6. I had to be knocked out for the injections cuz any sudden movement would have been no bueno! I was also on Motrin and Flexerell.

Sure, once in a while I reach for something or turn around too quickly, and I can feel some pain. Most days are great, and some days, I feel like I'm 90 years old!

Talk to your doc about getting an MRI to see what's going on. Good luck :smile2:.

Reactions: VeeJay
1 - 14 of 14 Posts