The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that cinnamon powder does very well in promoting insulin secretion. I tried it before and really, it made me choke. I can do it at times but it's such a chore that I can't let in as a part of my routine.

I have looked for ways on how to intake maybe at least a tablespoon of cinnamon everyday. As I said I have tried directly spooning it into my throat which is very unpleasant. I have also considered of putting them inside an empty capsule which I did before, when I dried my own bitter gourd fruits. Pound and ground them and placed them inside empty capsules. The thing there is, it's very time consuming.

It's been months actually since I started thinking about cinnamon until I saw this dessert from my childhood that still exist in a local dessert store here.

It's called a "Cathedral Window." It's basically gelatin within a gelatin. After I realized that, It hit me.

I can make an unflavored gelatin and add a whole lot of cinnamon powder to it. It's gonna serve as a binder and it will be easier to swallow.

Just make the jello, cut them into cubes and swallow them every now and then. It's also smooth and it will be easier to swallow. I'm not gonna chew it though. I'm going to treat this as a tablet or a capsule which is interesting since capsules are also made from gelatin.

Now before I run to the nearest store here, please tell me if this is a good idea. Will gelatin interfere with my BG (im gonna use unflavored, sugarfree)? Is cinnamon really effective?

So there, I just wanna ask this here since I know that this forum has all the 1st hand knowledge that will be very helpful to me.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Reyes . . . you might look around and see if cinnamon capsules are available ready-made at the pharmacies over there. They are in this country, and it would sure be easier.

That cathedral window is a wonderful dessert though - I may have to make it up with s/f flavors - rummage around I see if I can find my ring mold! Thanks & good luck finding some cinnamon capsules at the pharmacy.

·
Registered
930 Posts
how to beat the OGTT

my insulin response with out enhancement is only about 20mg/dl per hour but up to 58mg/dl per hour with supplements and metformin

The Pretest:

TESTING Glucose Tolerance with cinnamon, real rise = about 300 mg/dl
Using Accu-Check Aviva gucose meter #755

old test at 2 scoops showed a rise of 127//115 mg/dl and took 4 hours to stabilize instead of two hours

this test showed at 1 scoop a maximum rise of 39 mg/dl at one half hour and took 3 hours to stabilize, never reached 140mg/dl

392 - 122 = 270mg/dl / 2 hours = 135mg/dl fake insulin response

18:10 92 Aviva 92 mg/dl

18:45 drank smg 1 scoop 310 calories 49 grams of sugar, so 25 grams of glucose x 4 = 100 calories, x 3 (mg/dl blood glucose) ,= 300 (mg/dl blood glucose) ,, so 392 mg/dl total

18:51 took cinnamon 2.5 grams

19:00 116 Aviva 116 mg/dl

19:20 131 Aviva 131 mg/dl, so 131 - 92 = 39 mg/dl rise 30 minutes after

19:45 120 Aviva 120 mg/dl, so 120 - 92 = 28 mg/dl rise one hour after, droped 11mg/dl in 30 minutes
new test strips #779
19:52 131 Aviva 131 mg/dl, DOES NOT MATCH! BAD STRIP??

19:55 retest 122 Aviva 122 mg/dl now matches

20:45 104 Aviva 104 mg/dl, dropped to 104 in two hours

21:22 took r-lipoic acid, primrose oil,

22:26 96 Aviva 96 mg/dl

THE FULL MONTY !

TESTING Glucose Tolerance with cinnamon, or how i got away with consuming 620 calories without my blood glucose going thru the roof

my real A1c is 7.7% , eAG 174mg/dl

using cinnamon to lower my OGTT

Using Accu-Check Aviva gucose meter #779

Starting Blood Glucose Level was forced down with glyburide 5mg 12 hours ago

13:51 98 Aviva 98 mg/dl

15:56 92 Aviva 92 mg/dl

15:58 took 2 x cinnamon 750mg "Swanson Full Spectrum Cinnamon"

16:01 2 scoops of smgainer (cheap muscle gainer) 620 calories, 98 grams of carbohydrate, 49 grams of glucose?

16:06 took 2 x metformin 500mg took 2 x metformin

16:30 144 Aviva 144 mg/dl

17:00 149 Aviva 149 mg/dl, 149 - 92 = 57mg/dl rise

18:03 120 Aviva 120 mg/dl, 2 hours after taking drink

19:00 111 Aviva 111 mg/dl, 3 hours after taking drink

ColaJim

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the thing. It's either i'm stupid (lol i hope not) or there are no available cinnamon capsules here in our area. I've searched that months ago I finally gave up and looked for an alternative.

I'll try to look again but if in case there's still none available, will my idea be good? Or am I better off swallowing cinnamon as is?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
That's the thing. It's either i'm stupid (lol i hope not) or there are no available cinnamon capsules here in our area. I've searched that months ago I finally gave up and looked for an alternative.

I'll try to look again but if in case there's still none available, will my idea be good? Or am I better off swallowing cinnamon as is?
Where I live, almost every store that sells vitamins and supplements, sells cinnamon in capsules. I take them everyday, I am not sure how much they help.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've seen suggestions that you just spoon dry cinnamon down your throat. That doesn't sound like much fun. I just add it to my coffee. It is really nice there.

It did make a huge difference for me at one point but doesn't now. That might be because of changes in the diet. I've also read a study that said it didn't do any better than a placebo.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Vinegar can also lower the blood sugar level. Maybe you can take a jigger of vinegar, add the cinnamon and a little artificial sweetener, and have a cocktail that will work well for you. :confused:

Actually, I do NOT expect you to try this. It sounds rather repulsive to me. :p

Reactions: kazz8888

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vinegar can also lower the blood sugar level. Maybe you can take a jigger of vinegar, add the cinnamon and a little artificial sweetener, and have a cocktail that will work well for you. :confused:

Actually, I do NOT expect you to try this. It sounds rather repulsive to me. :p
But the thing is, Cinnamon is not water soluble. It's actually bark from a tree so it wont dissolve in any kind of liquid and that's the reason it should now be used in large quantities in cooking.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cinnamon is not water soluble.
I saw it on a coffee counter (might have been a Starbucks at an airport). I've never ordered a coffee there, I'd probably have to cash in my savings bonds to do that, but thought that was a good idea. I do mix it in my coffee regularly now. Of course it doesn't dissolve, but it mixes in and these days 'close enough' is good for me.

It does make a really nice addition to the taste.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm saying this due to lack of information about this. How much cinnamon is needed to take an effect on my glucose levels? I'm thinking that half a teaspoon just wont do. Am I wrong?
Maybe. I have seen somewhere that 1gm can be enough.
I take about 4 gms (approx 1 level teaspoon) twice a day. I mix it with my breakfast cereal concoction and yoghurt and with my fruit and yoghurt in the evening. I started with only about half this quantity and built it up gradually as I got more used to the taste. I liked it right from the start however so it was easy to add more.;)
Some info is here WHFoods: Cinnamon, ground - but there are other sites too. Just type "how much cinnamon to lower blood sugar" (without quotes) into google.:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use cinnamon by adding it to things such as yoghurt etc. However, I certainly ain't ever noticed any improvement in blood glucose levels.

My bottom line is that it can be a nice thing to add to foods and might very well be of some assistance in helping to lower blood glucose levels - but certainly do not expect too much.

In my opinion, cutting back on starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pizza etc - is the way to go - especially for Type 2s.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cinnamon backs up on me- heartburn, and or aftertaste - friends say it works great for them, but I can't hack it- even in pill form

Using ALA has been a MIRACLE

After 2 weeks
fasting
under 100 most of the time
I can get as low as 80 with hypoglycemia

at 70 or lower, I cant look at the TV or Light bulbs- EYES become very sensitive, and appear bright-

small glass of OJ takes care of that problem
maybe 2ounces

Jay

1 - 20 of 25 Posts