The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard years ago (I read it in Balance, the magazine of Diabetes UK) that cinnamon is a natural antiglycaemic and thus could be beneficial to diabetics, particularly DM2. This has recently become of interest to me again; I was in hospital for five weeks (admitted for tachycardia, kept in for obstructive sleep apnoea), and when admitted was erroneously flagged as being treated for my DM2 by diet only. (This despite the fact that my medicines box contained some very conspicuous repaglinide packets.)

Of course, not surprisingly, during my stay I had some of the worst BG readings since I was diagnosed in 2000 (one was over 12 IIRC) -- not helped by the fact that my stay included the Christmas period, when I allow myself a few sweet treats. The doctor who discharged me said that over my stay I'd had an average reading of 7·0 (again not surprising — my usual average is more like 5·5); what did surprise me was that he regarded this as "good". (Evidently, he knew little about diabetes and even less about statistics; 7·0 is supposed to be the maximum reading, so if it's the average (implying that about half the readings in the sample are above that), that's not good but very bad as the readings are overall far too high.)

I've now been discharged (two weeks ago) and put myself back on repaglinide, and my readings have dropped back to normal. But repaglinide is no longer on my repeat-prescriptions list (leaving me officially without any BG medication, as metformin has been cancelled due to kidney problems), and when I saw a nurse yesterday for a drug review, she didn't restore it because she took the same view as the doctor!

I've now emailed my GP (pointing out the argument I've given here, and that as I suffer from background retinopathy, good BG control is vitally important), and am awaiting a reply.

In the meantime, what about cinnamon? Does anyone here know about this, particularly dosage levels (assuming the stuff works, of course) and what are good vectors for taking it? (I've found that up to half a teaspoonful in a tall cappucino gives the coffee a great taste; I suspect that low-calorie hot chocolate might be another good one, but I haven't tried this yet.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey robert,

I don't know what the right dosage levels are..
But some while ago (I think about 3 months) I red an article about cinnamon that thold me that cinnamon does not work for diabetes.
They do said that cinnamon only works in very high dosage, which is not good for the human health.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome Robert: :)

I'm sorry to hear that you are having kidney problems,
apnea, and experiencing tachycardia.

My sugars would usually go up while in hospital also unless
I didn't eat all of my meal plus I would drink a lot of water.

I just put it down to little or no exercise. Someone who
is just lying in bed(which most do since they don't feel well)
will have higher sugar levels. I used to get up and walk the
halls some but it still wasn't enough where at home I was
way more active.

The body has to be active, allowing the receptors to accept
the Insulin (whether injected or natural) in order to help lower
the Person's sugar level. Exercise, if at all possible is an
important part of a Diabetics regime.

I do agree with Becca about the cinnamon. Although it has
been mentioned as helpful in lowering sugar rates most of the
Diabetics that I have heard from say that it does not work.
That includes Type 1 for sure and most of Type 2's. I'm
wondering if the Type 2's who claim it works for them aren't
experiencing the placebo effect. The power of suggestion can
have powerful results. If they believe it and it works for them,
then by all means they should continue wusing it.

I have tried it(1 teaspoon on food 3x a day for 2 mths.) but I
noticed no difference in my blood tests. :rolleyes: Then I heard you have
to use it for a year before it starts working. Really?? I don't like
it that much. I do have it on food sometimes because I enjoy the
taste ocasionally. Others like it in their coffee, etc.

As Becca mentioned, I've also read that too much can be harmful
to a Person.

Be sure to check the ingredients in the low-cal, sugar-free products.
Many have the sugar alcohols(not real alcohol)which raise blood sugars especially Maltitol. The sugar alcohol Erythritol(polyol)has the least
impact on the blood sugar. It also causes less intestinal distress than
other sugar alcohols.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts