The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've that 1/2 a tsp a day of cinnamon can decrease blood glucose levels by up to 20% and effects are visible with 20days.

Tried it this morning putting it in my tea! Rank! And suggestion of how to use it? In my cereal maybe?

Anybody got any experience with the effects of cinnamon?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The cinnamon thing is definely a YMMV thing. I have used tons of cinnamon since diagnosis and it hasn't done a thing for me. If I were you I think I would concentrate on eliminating food that spikes you. Many of us can't eat cereal in the morning because it spikes us over 120. I like cinnamon and still use it, but by itself it doesn't lower my bg. I do put it in my low carb cookies and muffins that are made without flour or sugar.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:D googled! Thought it might mean something like that lol.

My breakfast is usually when I get to work some point between 9&10 and is wheatabix or oats, ss milk, a banana and a flax seed n nut mix, I use to pit a bit of honey on until I got diagnosed the other week. I also tried dropping the banana but it didn't seem to make a significant difference so left it in.

When should I measure after eating to catch spikes?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
We all have different goals for after meals. I have been at this for 4 years and I have gradually lowered my goals. Originally my goals were 180, then 160, then 140 then 120 and now 100. It is a lot of trial and error. I like my morning bgs in the high 70's - high 80's. To achieve that I have to watch my after meal bgs. The lower the pp #'s the lower my fastings. I try to regulate my meals to 15 carbs-25 carbs. In the morning I try for under 5 carbs. For your system divide US numbers by 18

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've always loved the taste of cinnamon and use it mostly cooking sweet potatoes. But, once I was diagnosed with this dreadful diabetes, I was told that cinnamon was a very healthful, helpful friend to lower BS. I now take the capsule, you see the ad here by Puritan Pride and I have it on my signature. My diabetes educator recommended and on the advice of my PCP is the reason I taking this. My BS is lower, is it from watching those carbs, or the meds with a help from cinnamon? It just might be a YMMV thing.:confused:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use cinnamon caps too but I can't honestly say they really do me any good but I keep taking them because of a recommendation that it helps to lower BSL. Ok, I give up... what is YMMV?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use cinnamon caps too but I can't honestly say they really do me any good but I keep taking them because of a recommendation that it helps to lower BSL. Ok, I give up... what is YMMV?
LOL! I had to "google" it too. But, I won't do that to you.

Literally means "Your mileage may vary" but is often used in forum talk meaning that your results will vary.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok been checking levels.

8am - 10.1 (181)
An actimel drink at 8.20
9.39 - 11.4 (205.2)
Took 40mg glycozide
Ate the b.fast above
10.49 - 10.8 (194.4)

I know these levels are high but looks like my b.fast does not spike my bloods. I'll check again in another hour :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I added Cinnamon Extract about a month ago, and my levels HAVE gone down...

Of course, I've also been continuing to lose weight and have been exercising more and more as I get into better shape... So my levels may be the result of the exercise/lower body-fat, etc. as opposed to the cinnamon.

I wish I could say with 100% certainty the cinnamon extract helps...

What I can say for certain is as long as my levels are continuing to improve, I don't see me changing my diet, supplement or exercise routine. So the cinnamon stays. As does the ALA I started taking, also.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I added Cinnamon Extract about a month ago, and my levels HAVE gone down...

Of course, I've also been continuing to lose weight and have been exercising more and more as I get into better shape... So my levels may be the result of the exercise/lower body-fat, etc. as opposed to the cinnamon.

I wish I could say with 100% certainty the cinnamon extract helps...

What I can say for certain is as long as my levels are continuing to improve, I don't see me changing my diet, supplement or exercise routine. So the cinnamon stays. As does the ALA I started taking, also.
That's really great and I'm happy that your routine is working for you. Me, I can't seem to loose any weight to save my soul. I eat basically salads and or soup for lunch every day; as a rule I don't eat my evening meal pass 6 or 6:30 in the evening, I walk about 2 miles a day 3 -5 times a week and I just can't seem to loose anything. It's so discouraging sometimes I just wanna sit down and have a good cry!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That's really great and I'm happy that your routine is working for you. Me, I can't seem to loose any weight to save my soul. I eat basically salads and or soup for lunch every day; as a rule I don't eat my evening meal pass 6 or 6:30 in the evening, I walk about 2 miles a day 3 -5 times a week and I just can't seem to loose anything. It's so discouraging sometimes I just wanna sit down and have a good cry!
This may sound like a silly question, but are you eating ENOUGH? Not taking in enough calories is one of the surest ways to frustrate weight-loss efforts.

Soup and salads are usually quite low-calorie, and usually very low in protein. You need enough calories, and enough protein and fat to ensure that you don't lose muscle when you exercise.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This may sound like a silly question, but are you eating ENOUGH? Not taking in enough calories is one of the surest ways to frustrate weight-loss efforts.

Soup and salads are usually quite low-calorie, and usually very low in protein. You need enough calories, and enough protein and fat to ensure that you don't lose muscle when you exercise.
never considered that but it is definitely worth investigating more. Thanks for the tip!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cinnamon is a part of my daily diet. I really don't know how much I use because I put it in/on a lot of the things I eat and I'm sure I use more than you stated each time. I put it in yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal etc. I had taken the pills but they didn't change anything.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I take it in capsule form. The bottle says take two a day and they are 500 mg. The capsules also include Chromium. I take 3 each morning and if I remember I also take 2 or 3 before I go to bed. I've always had a strange system and anything I take to include tylenols and other pain medication, if I take it often enough the same dosage does me no good at all. It's almost like I get use to it and it doesn't work. The same thing applies to things like deorderant. I keep 3 different kinds on my dresser and rotate them daily... otherwise if I keep using the same thing, it stops working

·
Registered
344 Posts

never considered that but it is definitely worth investigating more. Thanks for the tip!!!

Thumbs up here. I started losing weight over a year ago. I hit a plateau and stopped losing weight for over three months. I wasn't losing so I ate less, I still didn't lose so I worked out more, that didn't work so I ate even less. You do get the snowball effect here. Eventually I started gaining back to the tune of 15 pounds. I was extremely week, light headed ( I think I posted that here) and was very frustrated.

Today I count all of my calories. I am on a 1740 diet per day. If I work out I eat them calories back. In one month now of being on this program I have lost the 15 pounds that I gained back and am two pounds lower than my lowest weight since I started over a year ago. So it is working, I feel better, my bike rides are stronger. This program that I follow is called Myfitnesspal.com and it can be downloaded to most smart phones so as you eat you can add your food. Simple program and is working for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts