The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Yesterday I had an appt w/ a new internist. Like her. Told her upfront I was not open to taking statins so she didn't do a lipid panel though based on my prior results she said she would recommend one. Of course. My iron is a little low, everything else is good.

I'm now a proud member of the 5% club with a 5.6 A1C.:whoo:

Although I was hoping for lower, I'll not kvetch!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Way to go. I know I was excited too when I made the 5% club too

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
That's fantastic news! Congratulations.

I'd have opted for the new lipid panel after my experience doing low carb/high fat....I had been on statin since I had my stroke, but no longer!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd have opted for the new lipid panel after my experience doing low carb/high fat....I
Yeah. The reason I didn't is that I was new, we were going over a lot of health issues not just diabetes, and I was so grateful not to get the pressure for statins that I opted to go with the flow. My lipids in late May weren't good, and since they don't change all that quickly (they didn't from Feb-May for me even though I was low-carbing) I figured I wouldn't push my curiosity at just 3 more months out.

Lipid panels are cheap via labs online, and I'm thinking of doing this independently in a month or two because I can keep my doc out of the loop and noodle over it w/out risk of pressure.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the 5% club. I agree with you on the Statins. I gave into my doctor and did them for more than a year until they destroyed most of my muscles. So now my doctor is on board about no statins, too. I do think low carb is the best way to go to keep HDL high and LDL and Trigs lower. My LDL is not as low as it would be on statins, but I don't care. How do those online labs work? There is also a device similar to a bg meter called a Cardio Check. It measures LDL, Trigs and HDL on separate strips. It is rather expensive around
$125 and the strips are around $5 a piece. But much cheaper than a regular lab test.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can order tests online at Online Medical Lab Tests | Blood Tests. You don't need a doctor's order, you pay upfront online, and you get the results yourself and share or not. The participating lab is LabCorp and it's awesome that they give access to lab work to the actual person whose body it is - and who doesn't have insurance or a fat wallet.

A basic lipid panel is $25. A1C plus lipid panel = $45 I'm sure there's one near you - you can put in your zip here Online Medical Lab Tests | Blood Tests | Locate a Lab - Find the Nearest LabTesting Facility ,

A close friend is now battling sudden high liver function. One of the suspects? Her statin. They're right now doing tests to eliminate other possibilities before dropping the statin. And yes, your experience is one that's lodged in my brain on this statin issue.

I'll be a lot happier when my LDL starts coming down though. It saw a bump up during the first 3 months on low carb, but am holding on tightly.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
:peace: Good on Ya! :peace:

When I grow up, I wanna be like you!

(And yeah, I'd have skipped the lipids too. Same reason. But I just might check out that online labs link.)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I grow up, I wanna be like you!​

Yeah right - with your fastings you'll be passing me right by, m'dear!

But thanks :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Yeah, my fastings are (mostly) pretty good. My mid-days, however, can be a whole 'nother story!

·
Registered
741 Posts
congrats moon....ok now I want to catch up to you...you will be my goal!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Congrats moon. You Rock!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Really impressed with your 5.7!! Truly awesome Moon :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Interesting about LabCorp doing the online tests. That's where mine go when my doctor orders them. Wonder what she pays for them?????? I'm gonna look into that!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, pretty stupid, but I got the A1C wrong. Was going over all my lab tests online and it was actually 5.6 ! Went to edit the post but am not allowed to do that any longer - Shanny, couldja wouldja slip in and change that .7 to a .6 for me?

I told a friend who is diabetic, though not as insulin resistant as I am, about my new A1C and she told me something shocking. She was on metformin and when her A1C came in <6% her internist reduced her met saying she didn't want her getting below 6% because it wasn't healthy for her, she was concerned about her going too low.

I said since she's not on insulin that isn't an issue, to which my friend said she thought it had something to do with her heart, but she was just grasping. Having had a quintuple bypass some years ago, she thinks what applies to me doesn't apply to her, and I gently suggested she run this theory of her internist's by her cardiologist ...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Congrats on the 5.6 Moon and welcome to the 5% Club!

Ummm....you DO know about the club membership fee, right? Last time I checked, it was plate of brownies to everyone in the club. :boink:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I told a friend who is diabetic, though not as insulin resistant as I am, about my new A1C and she told me something shocking. She was on metformin and when her A1C came in <6% her internist reduced her met saying she didn't want her getting below 6% because it wasn't healthy for her, she was concerned about her going too low.
My doctor said when I hit an A1c of 6.3 that he didn't want me below 6 too....

...also I used to take blood pressure pills (even though my blood pressure was from having my house robbed 5 times in one year) and I took myself off them...the doctor said that they (doctors) like diabetics to have lower than normal blood pressure...my blood pressure is fine and I said I wouldnt take any more pills than I need...tis a crazy world

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lipid panels are cheap via labs online, and I'm thinking of doing this independently in a month or two because I can keep my doc out of the loop and noodle over it w/out risk of pressure.
Curiosity killed the cat. Although refusing statins, and coming to understand lipids might not mean much, I still want to keep an eye on them and see what effect my diet/nutrition changes are having.

My LDL is a stubborn cuss, but I'm very pleased with the positive ratio trends:

March - May - September

Cholesterol ... 221 - 241- 256
Trigs ... 191 - 164 - 125
HDL ... 35 - 41 - 57
LDL ... 155 -174 - 174
Chol/HDL Ratio ... 6.3 -5.9 - 4.5
LDL/HDL Ratio ... 4.4 - 4.2 - 3.1

Love labsonline. You get the results via .pdf - no fuss, no muss, no docs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts