The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and got a pedicure & manicure yesterday evening and the lady who does my nails has T2 diabetes. We were talking and to my surprise, this lady did not know what a "glucose tablet" was and better yet did not know what type of meter she tests with and does not know what an A1C is. After she finished my nails, I went to Walmart and bought her a bottle of glucose tablets and 2 small packs for her purse and car. This lady should know better. I explained fast acting carbs to her and how important it is to test when she starts to shake. She had been eating chocolate to combat the shakes from being low...OMG... I hope that I was able to help. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
After she finished my nails, I went to Walmart and bought her a bottle of glucose tablets and 2 small packs for her purse and car.
How nice of you, and how sad she is so lacking in information. Do you suppose there is a language or other barrier to her understanding, or do you feel she just hasn't been properly educated by her MD?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Unless she is on insulin and or drugs that foce the pancreus to produce insulin, why would she need glucose tablets?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
She had been eating chocolate to combat the shakes from being low...OMG... I hope that I was able to help. :)

Yes, chocolate is not absorbed as rapidly as glucose! I was told to use 2 TBS of raisins if I did not want to buy glucose tabs. (but, they got kinda funky in my purse, as I did not need them once I went off SU meds, LOL).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've tried almost every brand of glucose tabs and the best ones are the Reli-On ones at WalMart. They have a tropical medley kind that are yum. I hate plain orange and raspberry.

Just FYI to those of us who use the tabs.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I've tried almost every brand of glucose tabs and the best ones are the Reli-On ones at WalMart. They have a tropical medley kind that are yum. I hate plain orange and raspberry.

Just FYI to those of us who use the tabs.
I keep a small tube of cake frosting in my bag

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I use cake frosting too when I ride my bicycle, no mess no fuss. I used to use candy, but what do you do with the wrappers?

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes, chocolate is not absorbed as rapidly as glucose! I was told to use 2 TBS of raisins if I did not want to buy glucose tabs. (but, they got kinda funky in my purse, as I did not need them once I went off SU meds, LOL).
You're the one who makes sauerkraut in her purse, if I remember right . . . no wonder the raisins "died" . . . :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How nice of you, and how sad she is so lacking in information. Do you suppose there is a language or other barrier to her understanding, or do you feel she just hasn't been properly educated by her MD?
This is a rather quiet women, so getting any information out of her is tricky. I think it is a combination of a language barrier and the lack of proper education.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*lots* yummier than those glucose tabs and it works fast :)
I looked at the cake icing the last time I was at the store and there seems to be alot of carbs in one small tube. Can anyone explain what kind of cake icing to get?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Unless she is on insulin and or drugs that foce the pancreus to produce insulin, why would she need glucose tablets?
Surprising as it may seem even those on Metformin can go low. It is rare but it does happen. I carry glucose tabs with me as well. I have enough friends who have diabetes as well and you never know when they will come in handy. I have found that using glucose tabs work the best in treating low blood sugars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I didn't know about Glucose tablets until I went to a Diabetes nutrition class in a city health clinic about a year and a half ago (I was laid off my job and had no health insurance!) They gave me several free packets, which I kept in my bedroom, bathroom, car glove box, etc.

We poor folks don't always have access to the best health education or services.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts