The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I tried all kinds of oatmeal brands when I was first diagnosed but they all spiked me big time. It was a sad day since I absolutely love oatmeal but a 220 BG reading took care of that. Regardless, 29 carbs puts it at my limit for the entire day. However, if you've found that it doesn't spike you (and that combined with the amount of biking that you do), I think you're fine to eat it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
what was your portion size? for me I can eat ~ 15 carbs before I spike too high, it doesent matter if its oatmeal or pasta or rice 15 carbs will raise my BG about 20 pts.

compare oranges to oranges and amount of carbs in oatmeal to the amount of carbs in the pasta you eat. that did spike you.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Steel cut oats are the most "whole grain" you can get... but they spike some people and others they don't.

If you like oatmeal and it doesn't spike you, then I don't see a problem with it.

Steel cut oats don't spike me, but I personally don't eat oatmeal because it's not really a nutrient dense food, it's just filler. I get much more important nutrients from farm fresh eggs, nuts, etc. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My portion was the 1/3 cup per the instructions. What was great about it for about the first time after eating I was not hungry until noon. And this morning I ate at 5:30 am.

·
Registered
78 Posts
1/3 c pre-cooked. after cooking it's a little over 1c depending on how much water is used.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Gee, 27 g. would 'eat me alive' in the morning or basically any other time! That's almost a days worth for me.

I'd say tread carefully and test after for a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts