The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a seeeerious craving going, here! This one looks Marty-Easy! LOL!

Coconut Cream Pie
4 eggs
¼ cup butter
¼ t salt
2 t coconut extract (flavoring)
2 t vanilla
½ t baking powder
1 cup unsweetened coconut
2 cups heavy cream
½ cup Splenda (I will use Erythritol)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 9 inch pie pan.
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into prepared pie pan and bake for approximately 1 hour until top is golden brown and set. Cool. Store in refrigerator overnight to give the “crust” time to better set up. Top with whipped cream prior to serving.

Total net carbs are 31. Each 1/8th of the pie piece has 4 carbs.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, MAAAN am I craving this! I may not make it hoem without buying the coconut extract! LOL.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Now, you have me craving it. I need to go to the store and buy coconut extract and heavy cream. I guess I will be going to the store after all.

Reactions: foxl

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Thanks for the report, Linda - this is going to be Monday's dessert for some non-lowcarb friends. They won't know what hit 'em!

·
Registered
741 Posts
this looks yummy!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Linda, it was great! Served it tonight to guests who aren't low-carb, and they really liked it. Served w/ raspberries, blackberries and whipped cream.

It's light and with that great top browned crust of float-to-the-top coconut.

The best part of the pie? Leftovers!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Looks easy enough and sounds absolutely delish!

Now, where do you find unsweetened coconut? I've looked in the grocery store, but they only have sweetened. Health food store? I have to go there today to get Psyllium hulls for Optimists crackers that I am going to attempt to make tonight. Hoping I can do this. I like to bake, but not necessarily that great at it! I am also going to attempt Moon's secret chocolate cake and a low carb pumpkin cheesecake with a nut crust for Thanksgiving. I'm going to see if anyone in my family can tell that it is low carb or not.
Also found my sugar free fat free jello pudding with heavy cream spikes my sugar. After looking at the ingredients on the pudding package I figured out why...food starch, maltodextrin, and something else I don't recall right now. So, now I am going to try heavy cream with dark chocolate almond milk instead and see how that fairs. I really like this little treat; makes me feel less deprived from goodies. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The hardest part is letting it rest in the fridge! It smells wonderful, baking!

Yes ... pudding messes with me. I use one TSP to stabilize my whipped cream. Anymore and BG goes berserkers.

Unsweetened coconut is at Indian and Asian grocers. For this recipe, the finer the better!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've ordered unsweetened coconut online from Amazon & Netrition . . . and I found it at my little local grocery once too - Best Choice brand from the Associated Wholesale Grocers right here in Kansas City KS! :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
As I said, the pie was great. I also said it was light, which it was, but maybe lighter than the actual recipe.

You see - I did a lot of cooking yesterday for guests, and was doing too much multi-tasking. The dinner was great, I ran two dishwasher loads last night to clean up. This morning I stumble in to make coffee, open the microwave to nuke a bit of leftover, and ... there sat a little pyrex cup with the butter I had melted to put into the coconut pie mix.

So .... I can only imagine how much better it's going to be if I add all the flippin' ingredients! Sheesh.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL! Mine came out more cakey than pie-crusty. My husband however, assures me I can make that anytime!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My <ahem> lower-fat version :rolleyes: came out with an awesome top crust, but no bottom one at all. Was able to carefully serve without it falling apart and it really was delish.

Hardest thing was scrambling to find coconut extract. Whole Foods was out in all their stores, said anything with coconut flies off the shelf and they have trouble keeping it in stock (er - order more, no?)

·
Registered
741 Posts
As I said, the pie was great. I also said it was light, which it was, but maybe lighter than the actual recipe.

You see - I did a lot of cooking yesterday for guests, and was doing too much multi-tasking. The dinner was great, I ran two dishwasher loads last night to clean up. This morning I stumble in to make coffee, open the microwave to nuke a bit of leftover, and ... there sat a little pyrex cup with the butter I had melted to put into the coconut pie mix.

So .... I can only imagine how much better it's going to be if I add all the flippin' ingredients! Sheesh.
I think we were separated at birth! lol I LOVE you

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Limited shelf liife somehow reminds me:

Last night we had plenty of food - before dinner, dinner - and a guest said she couldn't have more, she had eaten so much.

Me: You know there's dessert.
She: Yes, but there's a separate stomach for that.

Reactions: d33na and Shanny
1 - 20 of 33 Posts