The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went out and bought a deep fryer - a fairly expensive one - and have discovered, deep in the instructions, that olive oil is never, ever to be used in it. They recommend blended vegetable oil.

Before I take it back, I'm wondering if people here use coconut oil successfully in deep fryers. The instruction booklet says not to use olive oil or peanut oil because these oils can cause the fryer to overflow or cause fires.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I cannot say I have tried it. Coconut oil is supposed to have a higher smoke point than most.

But it still forms trans-fats at high temperatures. You would not want to reuse it. AND it is costly!

Have you googled deep-fryer, coconut oil?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It would probably work but boy would it be expensive. I think most people use vegetable oil and then reuse the oil.

·
Registered
930 Posts
For a diabetic a deep fryer is just suicidal because of the free radicals generated by high temperature cooking. Diabetics already have excessive free radicals in their blood that are destroying the vulnerable Omega-3 fatty acids that they desperately need for their cells to function. Some diabetics even take antioxidants to try to reduce the damage.

ColaJim

Today I went out and bought a deep fryer - a fairly expensive one - and have discovered, deep in the instructions, that olive oil is never, ever to be used in it. They recommend blended vegetable oil.

Before I take it back, I'm wondering if people here use coconut oil successfully in deep fryers. The instruction booklet says not to use olive oil or peanut oil because these oils can cause the fryer to overflow or cause fires.

Thanks.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
556 Posts
Jim is probably right, but I occasionally use my deep fat fryer. The first time I used it after being diagnosed I used coconut oil, but it turned brown after the first use, and you are not supposed to reuse coconut oil once it turns brown, so changing the oil after every use is too costly an option for me.

I now use peanut oil, it can tolerate high heat and can be reused. Any oil can overflow in a deep fat fryer, depending on how much liquid/moisture is in the food you are frying. I always lower the basket a tiny bit into the oil, and it usually starts to bubble pretty high, then I take the basket out a second, then lower it partly back in, and keep doing that until there is no danger of it overflowing once the whole basket is completely lowered.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cannot say I have tried it. Coconut oil is supposed to have a higher smoke point than most.

But it still forms trans-fats at high temperatures. You would not want to reuse it. AND it is costly!

Have you googled deep-fryer, coconut oil?
Thanks, foxl, looks as if coconut oil is not a good idea, just on cost alone!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a diabetic a deep fryer is just suicidal because of the free radicals generated by high temperature cooking. Diabetics already have excessive free radicals in their blood that are destroying the vulnerable Omega-3 fatty acids that they desperately need for their cells to function. Some diabetics even take antioxidants to try to reduce the damage.
Thanks, Jim, that sounds too scary to try. I'll take it back to the shop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim is probably right, but I occasionally use my deep fat fryer. The first time I used it after being diagnosed I used coconut oil, but it turned brown after the first use, and you are not supposed to reuse coconut oil once it turns brown, so changing the oil after every use is too costly an option for me.

I now use peanut oil, it can tolerate high heat and can be reused. Any oil can overflow in a deep fat fryer, depending on how much liquid/moisture is in the food you are frying. I always lower the basket a tiny bit into the oil, and it usually starts to bubble pretty high, then I take the basket out a second, then lower it partly back in, and keep doing that until there is no danger of it overflowing once the whole basket is completely lowered.
Thanks Spunky. I'm obviously a newbie when it comes to deep frying! I think I'll take the deep fryer back to the shop today.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I once had a fry baby ... but I discovered that it was hard to regulate the temperature. Between that and the oil and the high temp ... not for me!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have heard of free radicals but never knew what it meant until I looked it up on the web just now. Most of the sites listed 'fried food' as one of the things to be avoided, so I guess it includes food fried in oil in a pan on a range. I'm not so sure I can give up fried food. What a revolting development this is!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I don't really eat deep-fried foods at this point, but if I was, I'd try beef tallow. I don't believe it breaks down at all under high heat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't really eat deep-fried foods at this point, but if I was, I'd try beef tallow. I don't believe it breaks down at all under high heat.
Do they carry beef tallow in grocery stores? I wonder if lard breaks down under high heat. That might be easier to find at the grocery. My mother and grandmother cooked with lard when I was a kid and the food always tasted great.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It would probably work but boy would it be expensive. I think most people use vegetable oil and then reuse the oil.
Jwags, I noticed that you take coconut oil daily. So I rushed out and bought a tub of virgin c oil. Why, I have no idea :). I now use it as a moisturiser mostly. Is it better for diabetics to virgin olive oil?.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Yes, Coconut Oil has a lot of properties other oils don't. First it doesn't create free radicals when heated like all vegetable oils, even oli oil. It is a medium chained fatty acid that can be burned for energy, instead of carbs. It is also a source of Lauric Acid which is found in breast milk. I sauté meats and veggies in it. It is also good in smoothies and soups.

Reactions: Whatever

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I use it all the time to deep fry. LouAnn, cheap and tasteless. Fries wonderfully.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Coconut Oil has a lot of properties other oils don't. First it doesn't create free radicals when heated
Whew, that was a close call. Although Mom and Grandma did a good job cooking with lard, it and beef tallow sound totally horrible to me. It's a relief I don't have to go there.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yes, Coconut Oil has a lot of properties other oils don't. First it doesn't create free radicals when heated like all vegetable oils, even oli oil. It is a medium chained fatty acid that can be burned for energy, instead of carbs. It is also a source of Lauric Acid which is found in breast milk. I sauté meats and veggies in it. It is also good in smoothies and soups.
Thank you Jwags. Much appreciated. I occasionally do cook with it.
Will use it more often for consumption now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts