The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being from a very small town with a very limited grocery store, they do not stock coconut oil, nor will they order it in for me. What can I use instead of coconut oil? Anyone know?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I order my Coconut Oil online from either Amazon, Vitacost, Swansons Vitamins, or Netrition. It is always a lot cheaper online than in the store. The only other food that would give you the bg lowering benefit would be the canned full fat coconut milk. The Walmarts around us carry CO but it costs a lot more than online.

Reactions: foxl

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Being from a very small town with a very limited grocery store, they do not stock coconut oil, nor will they order it in for me. What can I use instead of coconut oil? Anyone know?
I bought Palm Oil at a local 'No Frills' here in Alberta. Most Loblaw chains probably carry it, so check out any 'Extra Foods', 'No Frills', Loblaw or SuperStore near your area, and they may have it.

Palm Oil and Coconut oil are very similar oils, so when you can't get Coconut oil locally, you can use the other.

·
Registered
31 Posts
is olive oil good enough or coconut oil is the way to go for everything? and i never cooked with coconut oil... does the food have a coconut taste?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Most oils including olive oil will oxidize when heated. This create free radicals in our body. If you use Olive Oil use it raw. Coconut Oil is the only oil I know that won't oxidize at high heat.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
^ interesting find. but isnt coconut oil higher in fat than olive oil?
I think all oils are 14 g of fat per tablespoon, whether it is margerine, butter or olive oil or Coconut Oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts