The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new in these parts, but I note that a few of the 'old' pros around here are taking some amount of Coconut oil daily. Somehow, although I've been scanning the web for a few weeks now, this has not shown up on my radar screen.

THEN.... when I did visit some of the Coconut Oil sellers I learned there are a goodly number of products (and prices) out there, not just one, and the difference in price is substantial.

So what's the scoop on this stuff?? Is the premium stuff really premium and worth it?

Thanks in advance for any input!

george

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
gkoller, welcome to the forum. Yes, there is a difference in the coconut oil you may purchase and use. You certainly want a quality one, and extra virgin or cold-expelled is probably the way to go. I know many here purchase from Netrition. I have purchased from Tropical Traditions. If you google either you will come upon their websites. Coconut oil is a wonderful addition to a diabetic's low carb/high fat way of eating. I use coconut oil to cook, bake, as a spread rather than butter, on homemade low carb crackers (see Recipes for Optimist's cracker recipe), mixed in to salad dressing, in place of other oils to make salad dressing. Some even put it in their coffee or mix with heavy cream for their coffee. Many many uses for it, and it is an excellent saturated fat for your system. My lipids have dropped dramatically by using coconut oil.

Hope you find a good one, and use it often. Also, if you haven't done so already, pop into the Introductions part of the forum and let us know about you and your diabetes, what your numbers are, and what you are currently doing to treat. There are many wise wonderful people here, and we welcome all to the forum.

Reactions: gkoller

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you NayNay,

BTW I did a search on Coconut Oil here and didn't see that this subject was just somewhat covered. Your posting actually added nicely to that thread. (On the first search before posting when I saw google results come up I assumed that site specific stuff would be given first, not so. Seems a little strange?)

It seems that the Oil is assisting by providing "lasting power" to a meal as well as the "right fats" without the "bad fats". Then, in addition, has at least a positive role to play with lipids (which I don't know anything about yet).

Coconut oil is going to be my #3 supplement and get into my diet on at least a trial basis.

Thanks again,

george

PS Netrition seems to have good quality selection, reasonable prices as well as a good shipping rate.

I'm doing Garlic & Fish Oil. And I'm "playing" with Apple Cider Vinegar already, but at 40ml dose - before retiring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts