The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is not happy news for many of us, perhaps ...:(

I am experimenting (as I have before a few times) with cutting down my caffeine intake. I am down to 2 c of weak (gravity-filter drip) coffee per day (economical, too!) plus everything I can extract from one tea bag. I was drinking herrr um, a LOT more coffee than this.

Interestingly, the most notable thing I am seeing in my blood sugar is a 20 -point drop in DP (I test PRE-COFFEE). I suspect this would have to do with lower circulating adrenal hormones. We shall see if it holds up, over this week ...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I also experimented with eliminating coffee last year when my bgs were out of control. I eliminated it for 2 months and still got bg spikes late in the morning. The only thing that works for me is taking a 2nd dose of metformin late in the morning which prevents the dump. I am now back to drinking 2 cups of strong coffee most mornings and have more or less eliminated DP. But I know we are all very different.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was getting a little indigestion in the mornings & finally decided to switch to decaf. So far, so good, but it hasn't been long enough to really tell much yet. Haven't switched out my green tea either, but it doesn't seem to cause any trouble.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I started drinking decaf coffee about two years ago because I think it taste better than caffeinated coffee. Then I started drinking decaf cola, again because it taste better. The biggest difference I can tell other than the taste is I don't walk around trembling and shaking all day...hea!

bugg:target:cured the shakes

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey, Bugg, I was drinking a lot and not getting any jolt, whatsoever. All the better reason to cut back!

I need a jolt of some sort available for the times I DO need it .... :p

But wow I slept last night. I woke up cold, then went outside and was, like, "Oh, it's cold out. THAT's why it is cold!"

BG a better than typical at 115 ... but, that is 10 pts higher too.

G

·
well I'm more a coffee drinker than a tea drinker. I stopped drinking coffee (and any other form of caffeine) for several months to see if my stomach would get better and no change whatsoever... so coffee is not the cause of my stomach upset. Now I just stick to 2 cups of coffee in the mornings.... sometimes I have a cup in the afternoon nowdays. But I don't tend to have more than that.. I haven't noticed any impact on my BGLs with drinking it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only, my impact is via increased adrenaline, so it is more subtle -- I had a couple of stressful tax-related events this spring -- 10 filing, 2) getting a computer generated return letter saying I owed $9,000. My BG went up for 3 days each time. So I know adrenaline affects my BGs, quite a bit.

It's that, not a short-term spike, that is making me consider stressors and what I can do to cut back.

G

·
Only, my impact is via increased adrenaline, so it is more subtle -- I had a couple of stressful tax-related events this spring -- 10 filing, 2) getting a computer generated return letter saying I owed $9,000. My BG went up for 3 days each time. So I know adrenaline affects my BGs, quite a bit.

It's that, not a short-term spike, that is making me consider stressors and what I can do to cut back.
oh yeah, stress does raise your BGLs... I know about that one. lol

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't drink coffee that seriously but when I do it's the top shelf coffee!!! My biggest problem is coke and getting off on this stuff is by no means easy.
I can see that too much of a good thing has it's problems. Coffee is one of them. :confused:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One week out, I appear to have shaved about 15 pts off my FBG -- ie, DP, by cutting my coffee in half.

I am glad it is expensive right now ... it gives me a bit more incentive. I do feel like the colors aren't as bright.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts