The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up and stuck myself. Had 2 cups of black french roast coffee over 1 1/2 hrs, then lifted weights for an hour. After 5 minutes rest, I stuck myself again. Reading was up 15.??????
I thought black coffee didn't have sugar and I thought exercise was supposed to lower your sugar.?????

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think lifting weights (by itself) may raise sugar levels. Aerobic exercise can lower it I think.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
When you "stuck yourself" I assume you were testing your blood sugar. What was that test result? If you exercised without having anything but two cups of coffee then you did not have enough carbs in your body. Carbs are necessary to provide the energy you need for exercise. If you exercise without enough carbs then your liver dumps a load of carbs into your system to keep you from going into shock. The problem is that it dumps too many carbs and that raises your blood sugar. If you had eaten breakfast before exercising you would have been OK. I always exercise after eating a meal or snack and I never have higher blood sugar when I have finished. Unless you put a lot of sugar in your coffee it should not have raised your blood sugar as much as 15 points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts