The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been missing my Coke (the legal soft drink:devil:) ) since being DX with diabetes. Snorebabe bought me a CO2 machine to infuse my water with carbonation. It works great! I got my fizz on! BUT I still miss my Coke.

Does anyone have any experience with a cola flavored water enhancer? How do they taste compared to Coke, Pepsi, etc.?

I just found online a Stevia sweetened cola flavored water enhancer from SweetLeaf Stevia® Sweetener | Natural Stevia Sweetener.

Anyone tried it? I think I can get it locally, as they say my local Kroger sells it, but I am just looking for opinions.

When I seen the name of the website....I automatically thought of this "Sweet Leaf". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9T75cDONmE :vs_cool:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with a cola flavored water enhancer? How do they taste compared to Coke, Pepsi, etc.?
I've been a Coca~Cola drinker for 68 years. Since I could reach the coin slot and drop a nickel in for a 10-oz bottle. I tried Pepsi; I tried RC; I tried off-brands of "cola" and none of them are Coca-Cola. When you drink ¾ of bottle of ice cold Coke...and let it sit there and get warm...not even Coca~Cola is Coca~Cola anymore.

I buy my Coca~Cola in 12-ounce 8-packs (39 grams sugar). I drink maybe one a day...with a lunch sandwich...or maybe with dinner. I've got my refrigerator set so that it's around 33 to 35 degrees at the bottom shelf where the Coke sits. I drink about two-thirds of the 12-ounce bottle with the meal (26 grams sugar), then throw out the rest. Why throw out the rest? Because tomorrow all the "fizz" will be gone...and we both know, Coca~Cola without the "fizz" tastes like RC cola.

If you're just a "cola" drinker...you may find a combination that you'll tolerate. If you're a true Coca~Cola fan...you'll never find a substitute.

As an aside: I quit smoking cigarettes about 20 years ago. I smoked 2 packs of Camel regulars a day for about 40 years. When people started quitting smoking and R.J. Reynolds raised the prices of Camels...I bought a cheaper brand of cigarette...I wasn't gonna let R.J. Reynolds hold me and my habit hostage. I smoked 1 cigarette out of that pack and tossed the rest in the garbage. The last day I ever smoked.

Some things...there's just no substitute for.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Bounty, I guess you can get away with that many carbs all at once because you are on insulin. I'm not all that picky about colas, and I even drink them room temp. (Boy, are we opposites on that.)

But I do enjoy the first hit of carbonation - the "buzz". So I would think the CO2 machine would be great for that. Snorebaby - there is a site that has a lot of food products that fit low-carb (and gluten-free, etc.). They carry several brands of flavorings. You might want to see what they offer as far as a cola flavoring. netrition.com (I have a whole bunch of different flavorings - probably way too many.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bounty, I will drink a coke watered down...flat....warm....as long as it was Coca-Cola. I can only drink about 1/2 can of Pepsi. I will drink other flavors of soft drink but prefer my Coca-Cola.

I know there won't be an exact match, but something close. Like VeeJay said...it's the fizz. It won't be an every day drink or all I drink, just a good alternative.

Veejay, thanks for the site info. I have bookmarked it. Looks interesting and maybe I can have my hamburger bun again! :vs_smile:

Thanks for the replies!

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
I used to love Coca-Cola. Would have a coke for lunch, supper, and about anytime I was thirsty except breakfast. Hehe, may be why I am here now.

I didn't like any of the artificially sweetened soft drinks, so I just quit them altogether. I now drink regular tea, green tea, hibiscus tea, water, and occasionally one of the fizzy flavored waters. If I want it sweet, I use pure powdered stevia.

Reactions: Snorebaby

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Bounty, I was going to ask you how you can be diabetic and still drink Coke. I thought for a moment and now I know.

I too quit cigarettes about 20 years ago, thankfully I never was a soft drink drinker, just coffee and water, a beer on occasion.

My wife has a degenerative bone and joint disease and arthritis. Her doc told her years ago to quit the Coke, all of it. She won't and still drinks maybe +- a 6 pack a day. Her Coke is more important than her health. She has had numerous surgeries for her condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts