The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good 'remedy' for cold sores? I haven't had one for a long time, but this week I got the old familiar "tingling" on my lip and just knew when I woke up the next morning the cold sore would be there. And.....I was right. It hardly seems worth going to the Dr. because I don't think there is much he can do to hasten the departure of this thing. So far I've been dabbing it with alcohol. :(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Does anyone have a good 'remedy' for cold sores? I haven't had one for a long time, but this week I got the old familiar "tingling" on my lip and just knew when I woke up the next morning the cold sore would be there. And.....I was right. It hardly seems worth going to the Dr. because I don't think there is much he can do to hasten the departure of this thing. So far I've been dabbing it with alcohol. :(
I haven't had one for many many years, but all I ever did was the same as you're doing - alcohol or peroxide . . . anything to dry it out. It's the herpes simplex virus, so I s'pose an antiviral of some sort would hurry up the healing.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Have you tried using mouthwashes?
It`s a common way to treat it for many people here.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This has always worked for me, and when I was a practicing Pharmacist, it was my recommendation

At the first inkling of an oncoming cold sore I will take 3 Grams of lysine followed by 2 Grams of Lysine every couple hours over the next couple of days. I would also rub in Carmex Lip Balm.

Reactions: MCS and d33na

·
Registered
360 Posts
Insulation Tim is right. It is amazing how lysine helps.

·
Registered
741 Posts
*nods* yup Lysine .... works a treat

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This has always worked for me, and when I was a practicing Pharmacist, it was my recommendation

At the first inkling of an oncoming cold sore I will take 3 Grams of lysine followed by 2 Grams of Lysine every couple hours over the next couple of days. I would also rub in Carmex Lip Balm.
Is this 'Lysine' available OTC? Anything to help the blister dry up and go away is good IMHO :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I take the tablets. They are in the vitamin area at WalMart. I take 2 tabs twice a day the first 2 days. They are not expensive. I have heard Abreva helps too. It is a cream but kinda high.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Can you recommend a place to buy this product? I've looked locally and can't seem to find it - unless I'm just not looking in the right place. Or is it better to find it at an online store? I did find the Carmex Lip Balm, but not the lysine :(

·
Registered
370 Posts
Can you recommend a place to buy this product? I've looked locally and can't seem to find it - unless I'm just not looking in the right place. Or is it better to find it at an online store? I did find the Carmex Lip Balm, but not the lysine :(
Typically in the vitamin section of the drugstore; walmart; Target, etc. It may be listed as "L-Lysine".

I also think that Carmex in conjunction with the Lysine is the key but you have to get on the regimen quickly.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Typically in the vitamin section of the drugstore; walmart; Target, etc. It may be listed as "L-Lysine".

I also think that Carmex in conjunction with the Lysine is the key but you have to get on the regimen quickly.
Thank you kindly for your explanation. I've looked twice at our local Walgreen's store and couldn't find it. But they have recently remodeled so it is rare to be able to find anything where it 'used' to be. I found the Carmex and just wanted to have the lysine on hand for the "next time".

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Believe it or not, I found it today in another drug store when I wasn't even looking :) I also found Lysine lip balm in the aisle where they keep OTC cold medicines.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 12 of 12 Posts