The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a good slaw recipe to take to our Christmas family gathering, but of course I don't want to bring an experiment... needed to try out the recipe first. Found one that sounded very good, so last night I mixed together the dressing for it so I could taste it. Oh man, the dressing is simple but so good.

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
sweetener to taste

The recipe calls for cabbage, carrot, celery, apple, raisins and walnuts, and that is how I will make it for Christmas, but when I make it just for DH and me, of course I will leave out the fruit.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
At our house, whatever we want is 'normal'! This recipe is more like what I called an apple salad I used to make before 'D', but now the apples are too carby. My mom used to put pineapple in her slaw. Beets sound good, but they'd be too carby for me now too. :(

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I think I'll give this a try. Now that I can once again eat a small amount of apple, I'll add that and walnuts. Not going near the raisins or carrots though!! Don't even have them in the house. Out of celery right now too, but I can add that next time. How much cabbage to that amount of dressing?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a link to the original recipe.
Slaw

Once you look at the original, you will see why I didn't include the link in my first post. Not at all a good recipe for diabetics unless we tweak it a lot.

I left the salt out when testing the dressing. I think it would be better without, but that's just my opinion. Tweak to your own liking.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have been making my own Coleslaw dressing using mayonnaise, lemon juice and sweetener, but I really like the idea of adding sour cream to the mayo. This will be my next batch, thanks. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts