The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a homeless man in Columbus who has been making news. Ted Williams was standing near a busy freeway, he was holding a sign asking for help. As I understand, Ted has a great voice for radio and commercials and he has got several job offers and Ted is showing up on the news and he appeared on Dr. Phil today and he will be on Dr. Phil again tomorrow. This man has a rap sheet and has about 9 children and a wife and he never paid child support and his wife is partially blind. I guess he is still married but has a girlfriend who has a rap sheet as well. I really hope that this 53 year old man can get his life together and take his new found fame and get off the streets and get rid of his girlfriend. He left the Dr. Phil show today and went back to his hotel and his daughter went to the hotel and I guess they got into a major name calling battle and the police had to be called. Not a very good start, Even Oprah is going to help him by giving him some work for her new network. Maybe I should go out panhandling and ask for a better job. Dr Phil said that the best predictor of your future is what you did yesterday. I don't think that this guy can change, he has been living homeless for many years and admits that he has had drug and alcohol problems. If you have heard about this story, I am interested if you think he can change?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'd hate to try and predict what any individual might do - I do believe that everyone has the ability to change.
If I was going to give someone an opportunity to turn their life around I could probably find hundreds of deserving people who are already working at it and showing that they recognize that it is ultimately up to them. People who are doing the best they can and just need a break.
If I was going to bet on someone.. it wouldn't be this guy.

G

·
hi Breeze - yeah I heard about that guy... he was on the news here too. I suppose we can't be too quick to judge him as everyone deserves a fair chance. Although I would think that it would be nice if we hear he has kicked his alcohol & drug problems and he is supporting all his children as a result of the work he is getting from all the publicity. I'd hate to think that he just uses his new earnt income on supporting his bad habits. I work for Aust govt agency that does have dealings with homeless people all the time. It's sad to say but the vast majority have substance abuse issues and this is what often caused their homelessness in the first instance. It's hard to change and break addictions without professional help and the sheer willpower of individuals to do so as well I think. But I'm sure we all know of people have have turned their lives around for the better... so it can be done. :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like my hometown famous homeless man is already having problems. I missed Dr. Phil and the news but my Mom said that he is on his way to rehab. I wish him well, he has many problems that need to be dealt with before he starts taking care of 9 children and a partially blind wife and a girlfriend to boot. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts