The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have been learning a lot here for the past couple of weeks and finally decided to introduce myself. I was diagnosed with type 2 in early august of this year. I had been hiding from it for years by not going to the doctor. I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies and have been overweight for most of my life. I had to go to the gynecologist for an infection that would not go away and she sent me for blood work suspecting D. Sure enough, that was it. I am a teacher, so this could not have come at a worse time. Went to the doctor, A1C was 9.5. He gave me metformen, a glucose monitor, gave me handful of pamphlets, and said something about carb counting. I cried and could not bring myself to say the words, " I have diabetes" . I told my husband and best friend that my sugar was a little high.

One of the blessings turned out to be that I was so busy with work, I did not have time to look at the pamphlets the doctor gave me. I just decided I was going to eat as low carb as possible. I went back to the dr. After 4 weeks. I had lost 11 pounds and my numbers were
down some but he upped my dose of met to 1000. It was about this
time things calmed down in my life and I started searching for more
information on the internet. I First read here about the lc/hf and
what the Ada and most doctors recommend. In fact my doctor told me that my AC1 needs to be under 7. I read a lot of the articles linked here and began making some of my own goals.

My doctor had referred me to the diabetic nutritionist. By the time she called to set up the appointment I was having good success with low carb eating. I went to the meeting anyway and sure enough she was very shocked that I was pretty much eating from one side of the chart. I told her that I had no doubt that if I ate the recommended amount of carbs my sugars would be much higher and I would just need more medicine.

The next day I had my 3 month check up at the dr. My A1c had gone down to 7.0. Better but not good enough for me. I told the doc what I was eating and what the nutitionist said. He told me to keep doing what was working for me. Kept my Meds the same. Gave me something for high cholesterol even though I don't have high cholesterol, and gave me some thing to help speed up the weight loss.

I guess that is where I am for now. My fasting readings have been between 120 and 103. My 2 hours after meals from 137 - 96.

I have a few questions but I will get to those in one of the other threads. I want to thank you all for being so helpful and such a great source of information.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Welcome! Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us! I lurked for a couple of weeks too when first diagnosed. I don't know what I would do without the good folks on this forum.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, vcooper. 'Coming out of the shadows', that sounds quite mysterious. You are one of the lucky ones who got the straight skinny on diabetes before reading pamphlets or seeing a dietician. You are doing great, keep up the good work and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Finding out that you are diabetic isn't funny but the condition can be managed. The name of the game is "Counting Carbohydrates and Eating to your meter."

An excellent site to explore is www.bloodsugar101.com. Jenny Ruhl, the author is diabetic and discusses the issues intellegently without resorting to jargon. It's well worth an hour or two.

The other trick, you've already spotted. The members of this forum have been through it all themselves - ask any questions you want, there will be someone on the forum who has the answer.

We're all different and some tricks that work for one person won't always help another individual but the ground rules are the same for us all.
  • Cut back on Carbohydrates
  • Keep (or get) your weight down to "normal" - and you may well find that cutting carbs helps this a lot - it did for me - 30lbs in as many weeks.
  • Stop smoking
  • Keep the exercise going
As I said, hello and welcome.

John

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'm so glad you came out of the shadows! Welcome to the group. I wonder how many others are hiding in dark corners. Glad we could help you...sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was in the shadows for 2 years before I found Internet forums. I was a lone wolf using myself as a science experiment. When I found DF and other forums it was like I found a home. All of a sudden I was talking to people who had the exact same problems as I did. For way too long I had blamed myself for my diabetes and still couldn't figure out why I got it. I bought into the media that if you exercised , ate veggies and fruit and whole grains that you wouldn't get Diabetes. Well, I did all that and I still got it. But the good thing is tht I learned it is not a death sentence and I can control the complications by eating LC/HF and keeping my bgs under the ADA recomendations. Some days it is not easy and my bgs have a mind of their own, but I am in this for the long haul. So glad you came out of the shadows and joined us.

G

·
Welcome to the forum. I've been diagnosed for less than 2 weeks but was fortunate enough to find this place within hours of the diagnosis. Unfortunately I read the stuff the doctor gave me first and shopped for all the wrong food, but started the LC/HF diet within a few days after reading all the information recommended here.

As you've already found, the support of the people here facing the same problems helps with managing the physical and emotional issues of the 'D' diagnosis.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's a pleasure to welcome you aboard, vcooper. Sounds like you have a sensible doc too, since he accepts your way-of-eating & how it improves your blood sugar. Mine is the same way - he didn't teach it to me, but he definitely accepts that it works.

My doc also prescribed the cholesterol meds - apparently a rather knee-jerk reaction to a diabetes diagnosis, but I persuaded him to let me go off it. There is a lot of controversy about statin drugs & if you have any time to study up on it, you may want to pass on it too - especially since you DON'T HAVE high cholesterol! Which one are you on, btw?

I want to thank you for joining us & I hope you can visit often.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Great success - congrats on coming out of the gate swinging!

It's shocking how such a simple concept (not eating the carbs that our bodies can't tolerate) can be so ignored by so many in the medical community. Just the other day a friend was here telling about her elderly father with a new diabetes diagnosis, but she (even without these forums!) figured it out and knew something was wrong with the advice she was given. So she stopped feeding him the carbs, basically put him on low-carb, and *magic*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts