The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I admit it, I still view myself as a new boy in the life of a diabetic.

Exactly one year ago, I got my first HbA1c - 8.2%.

As part of my relaxation therapy I spent the next nine months playing with the various formulae for matching the ninety day average fasting blood sugar with the HbA1c.

My next test came out at 6.2% (the calculation said 5.08%) but that was only after eight weeks - so "case not proven" as we'd say in a Scottish Court.

My February test came in.

My calculations said 5.14% (Nathan forumla) - the actual value 5.1% Pretty good, thought I but one swallow doesn't make a summer. So wait 'til May.

The May calculation 5.20% - the actual value 5.2% - Spot on!

So I started to believe I had something vaguely useful. So let's see what today's result gave me.

Over the last month my average has been creeping up towards the 90s - June was 87, July better back at 84 but August so far has been 88. My calculations said 5.23%. And what did I get?

5.0%

So much for calculations! Or perhaps I should say, "so much for the quality control of test strips!"

I don't expect perfection (OK, so I really do, ..) but I do expect the pattern offered by testing to be useful.

I was completely in agreement with Eric (@thosebackpages) in not liking the pattern of upward creep he and I have been "enjoying".

My wife was threatening to do unkind things to me when I started talking about using my Levemir to nip the creep in the bud. As it turns out she was right to slap me down but what is a well intentioned student of diabetes to do when his only tool sends the wrong signal.

Being fair, the test result is better than I hoped for. I didn't really expect to be pushing out of the 5% club in that direction - so, great but come on big Pharma Companies - how about some quality control.

:violin:Moan over!

John

· Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is fantastic to read John. You've worked hard, and it's showing in the numbers.

I go for blood work next month, we'll see what it brings. I've felt a huge "burn out" this summer. On everything, really.
Thanks Eric,

Wish I could take the credit but it's the OH who manages my diet and it works well. I just need to follow orders.:wink:

As I said, the lab results were better than I expected - hopefully your results will be just as good.

John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.