The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old laptop is acting up worse all the time, and this time after the BSD, it didn't recommend restarting normally. When I allowed it to launch the repair mode, it needed the administrator password, and I haven't the remotest idea what that would be! So yes, I'm the only one who ever runs this thing, but we've had it for several years & my memory isn't what it used to be.

So I cancelled out of the repair mode & crossed my fingers it would load normally, which it did. But I surely still need to go back & fix whatever went wrong, and there's no way I'm gonna remember this password. Where exactly do I go from here?

And if I disappear completely, at least you'll know what happened.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't suppose you have either the installation disks or a restore partition on your hard drive, do you? Can you share the mfr and the model number?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
What system are you running XP, and what browser are you using

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't disappear!!!! :Cry:

I know next to nothing when it comes to computers but... give the ol' laptop a big slap. Maybe it will help?

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I hate computers, passwords and especially Dells. Several of my kids have Dells that have died a premature death. We had a friend set up our Wireless a few years ago and when my daughter came home from college no one could find the password for her to log on. Hopefully your computer comes back to life.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
First off, switch to using Google Chrome instead of Firefox as your browser. Firefox has its many problems. I switched to Chrome and it is much better. Also, you should be able to go to Control Panel and go to Users to either find your password, or you can change your password for Administrator there. Let me know if this works. If not I will check with my daughter who has a Dell Inspiron as well. And if that doesn't work, I will check with my computer guru from work. Let me know.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Your going to be ok... Your computer is younger than mine. I'm an XP. LOL... Old stuff... I might buy a new one for Christmas.... Anyway everyone wright down your password somewhere you can find it. Very important to keep it in a safe place where you know where it at all the time. Very Important...!!!

bugg:confused:can't find his pass word...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Shanny said:
The old laptop is acting up worse all the time, and this time after the BSD, it didn't recommend restarting normally. When I allowed it to launch the repair mode, it needed the administrator password, and I haven't the remotest idea what that would be! So yes, I'm the only one who ever runs this thing, but we've had it for several years & my memory isn't what it used to be.

So I cancelled out of the repair mode & crossed my fingers it would load normally, which it did. But I surely still need to go back & fix whatever went wrong, and there's no way I'm gonna remember this password. Where exactly do I go from here?

And if I disappear completely, at least you'll know what happened.
If I had to guess I would say that you are running out of memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I had to guess I would say that you are running out of memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes
I definitely am - I've had "install more RAM" on the shopping list for months. Thought I'd be able to get it when I replaced the keyboard awhile back, but the budget said nope (between the budget & my meter, this "nope" crap gets old! :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your going to be ok... Your computer is younger than mine. I'm an XP. LOL... Old stuff... I might buy a new one for Christmas.... Anyway everyone wright down your password somewhere you can find it. Very important to keep it in a safe place where you know where it at all the time. Very Important...!!!

bugg:confused:can't find his pass word...
I can't remember when we got this - our kid in Parker CO gave it to us because he was paying my dues to play World of Warcraft, and he wanted me to have a big laptop with all the bells & whistles to play on (yeah, I know REAL gamers don't use laptops . . . ;)). Now I know it's been two years since I QUIT playing WoW, so who knows & I can't remember. :p And he won't be giving us too many more big presents since he got married in the interim! :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off, switch to using Google Chrome instead of Firefox as your browser. Firefox has its many problems. I switched to Chrome and it is much better. Also, you should be able to go to Control Panel and go to Users to either find your password, or you can change your password for Administrator there. Let me know if this works. If not I will check with my daughter who has a Dell Inspiron as well. And if that doesn't work, I will check with my computer guru from work. Let me know.
I may try Chrome again someday, but I tried it when it first came out & I wasn't impressed. I was a Netscape person from the get-go, and I'm still with Mozilla. There are some very practical add-ons for Firefox.

·
Registered
360 Posts
password

Shanny....while you are on the forum can you say you forgot your password and maybe it will ask you a prompt question or let you change it. I had to do that on one of my games. It wont help your computer but will keep you from starting over on this forum.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I did google your laptop and the operating system and it does sem to be a common problem with that computer. No fixes I could find. Would it be possible to upgrade the memory and load win 7.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I know I am odd man out but the worst buy ever was when I decided I needed a laptop :doh:that was $800. I could have used to get something I really needed. It took about a nano second to decide I hated the thing. well it did take a week or so, then Best Buy said I have to pay a restocking fee> I won't walk in that place ever in my lifetime. It is a HP win7. blu ray movies yada yada. I had it with the thing. closed it up & it s back in the box it came in till .......

I am online with my Huge big screen HP & nice big keyboard . I am happy..:ranger:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Our first laptop was HP, and it was a nice little machine - our same kid gave us that one - lol! He seems determined to keep us online. ;) But he also purchased the extended warranty from Best Buy and they drove us CRAZY! I will never darken their door again either. Every time we needed service, they found an excuse to wipe the hard drive. What the heck is up with THAT?! Then when he got this one, he tried to avoid Vista, but apparently there wasn't a choice, because he customized a lot of things, but he couldn't get away without Vista.

This little cutie booted up smoothly this morning, so keeping fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Earlier this year around middle of May, my old computer died. I knew it was about to expire since my younger son kept saying "Mother, you need to add memory" yeah, yeah.....and I would forget to do it. So....guess the ole' puter had enough one day and just simply quit!

My brother who knew I was not fond of BestBuy offered to accompany me to shop for a new one. Did I mention he is great when it comes to spending someone else's money??

At the end of the shopping day, I did end up with a new computer from BestBuy and brother didn't have any trouble telling the salesman NO, we don't want that feature.

Since my old computer was Windows XP and the new one is Windows 7, I had a lot of learning to do and more yet to learn.

What ever did we do without computers???

·
Registered
66 Posts
I may try Chrome again someday, but I tried it when it first came out & I wasn't impressed. I was a Netscape person from the get-go, and I'm still with Mozilla. There are some very practical add-ons for Firefox.
That's smart. With all due respect to NayNay and others who are free to like what they like, Firefox is far from problematic in general and right now while you're focusing on fixing your laptop, you want fewer things to address, not more...and regardless of which browser you may or may not prefer, it is not what's causing your issues.

You said you had a 1720; did you buy it new with Vista already on it, or is it an XP machine you later upgraded to Vista? Cuz if it's the former, you're most likely in luck and you can reset the machine to the way it was when you got it.

If you think this is better done off-forum, I can email you the instructions...

Reactions: silvertiger

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
You said you had a 1720; did you buy it new with Vista already on it, or is it an XP machine you later upgraded to Vista? Cuz if it's the former, you're most likely in luck and you can reset the machine to the way it was when you got it.
Actually, even if a while ago it couldn't be downgraded to Vista, you may want to check the manufacturer's site again to see if they've released XP drivers. I know some computer companies were forced to release XP drivers because so many people hated Vista.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts