The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I do moderate exercise (cardio type) like 20-25 minutes slow running alone, but sometimes join with a friend.

And she likes to make (lucky only sometimes) some short 20-30 seconds high intensity intervals, so I try to go along with her pace, and most of the time I can.

But as I´m eating low quantities of carbs (and often I run early in the morning without breakfast, my concern is if this high intensity intervals are healthy/unhealthy for me, or am I running the risk of dizzy or hypoglycemia due to lack of energy?

What do you think? Anyone with the same concern?

Thanks.
Mary ODG

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have no problems kicking it up in intervals as I exercise. As long as I keep my fat intake high, that is my energy source. I work out daily now between 40-60 minutes- I dont have that issue. As a matter of fact, the endorphins kick in and I feel better and get more energy post- workout.

Are you a T2 w/insulin? Do you have a history of hypos? Are you eating anything pre-workout? If you are just starting LCHF, you may need to have a snack like some cheese before. Everyone is different. I would test pre workout and post.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
When I started LCHF my body took a while to adjust and when doing strenuous hiking I'd go hypo. I measured a BS of 46 once and felt weak and energy depleted. I'd carry dried fruit and a banana to restore my BG. Now that I'm in ketosis my body adjusts by itself and I no longer get hypo. I can generally hike for hours without eating and remain strong. I test often while doing so and find my BG is in a normal healthy range.

You will have to test yourself at different times and under different conditions to see what works for you. If in doubt, carry food to get your BS up if it gets too low.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi.

I do moderate exercise (cardio type) like 20-25 minutes slow running alone, but sometimes join with a friend.

And she likes to make (lucky only sometimes) some short 20-30 seconds high intensity intervals, so I try to go along with her pace, and most of the time I can.

But as I´m eating low quantities of carbs (and often I run early in the morning without breakfast, my concern is if this high intensity intervals are healthy/unhealthy for me, or am I running the risk of dizzy or hypoglycemia due to lack of energy?

Thanks.
Mary ODG

The only way to know is to test your BG after the workout.

You dont say what drugs (if any) your on.
If your on insulin you could easily have a hypo.

·
Banned
63 Posts
I cannot exercise at all without first eating something then I wait about an hour. I mostly have eggs and a meat for breakfast. hth

Hi.

Thanks.
Mary ODG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thanks everybody.
I´m a T2 diabetic woman, not insulin right now.
I'm currently on 500mg Metformin ER once a day.

I will start to measure my BG pre and postworkout, thanks

Luis

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Without the Insulin or the sulfonylurea (name starting with 'gl' & ending with 'ide') pills you will not go hypo with any form of exercise. In all probability your liver will dump and you will be hyper.

BTW HIIT is much better than simple exercise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I cannot exercise at all without first eating something then I wait about an hour. I mostly have eggs and a meat for breakfast. hth
I'm with you on this. I'd need to eat first or I'll be in the 60s. I only wait about a half hour though. YMMV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts