The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted in another forum my concerns about my 10 year old grandson & today learned his parents are no longer communicating with his endocrinologist or taking him for appointments. They are most assuredly in denial. He was diagnosed Type 1 about 5 months ago. He was taken to the ER and admitted with a sugar level at 635. A dietitian & endocrinologist visited those days and set up a treatment plan. He was put on insulin with regular calls to report levels to the Dr. His sugar roller coasted for weeks as they were learning how to dose insulin. During this time they began to research the internet and began monitoring carbs and having him drink massive amounts of water to lower his sugar. At first they believed he is in HONEYMOON phase, which he probably is.They believe he is not a Type 1 and maybe l.5 or most likely 2. They stated "Water is his insulin".
Today he visited the house and informed us he is not seeing the Dr. and he doesn't feel he is diabetic. He stated his parents took him to have cheese fries last week and his sugar was 463 afterwards. Water was given and his a.m. level was 178. Most days his sugar is low 70's up to 150 as long as he eats right and has lots of water. They seem to think this is okay. I am Type 2, taking Metformin. It is hard enough for this 61 yr old to keep A1C below 7.0 with monitoring diet, etc. We are very concerned as to what will happen to this little guy when he crashes..

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I had hoped this wasn't the case. Levels 140 and above are not acceptable, as you well know. :grouphug:

Are you able to get hold of his (former?) doc and/or endocrinologist? They will probably be reluctant, at best, to offer you any info, but may well appreciate any info you give them.

We care. Please keep us posted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts