The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused about which diet to follow...a low carb, high fat diet or something vegan like the Esselstyn diet. Especially because I want to watch heart and artery health. The low carb high fat diet is good for my BS but is it good for my arteries and my heart...Any advice in this regard?

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Most of us who have used a low carb/high fat diet have found our cholesterol numbers have gone down, as well as Triglycerides. Also our good cholesterol and HDL have gone way up. Also my Blood Pressure has gone way down as I cut out carbs. My doctor feels the best way to avoid heart disease is to maintain a normal weight and on a low carb diet I am down to 120 pounds. You can still incorperate a vegetarian diet into low carb if you want too. I try to eat at least 3 veggie meals a week.

Reactions: foxl and Shanny

·
Registered
716 Posts
Think you have to find what works for you. This is how I try to eat. Lots of greens plus tomatoes - Lots of nuts - Lean Protein like chicken & fish - almost always have flax meal 250 grams yogurt, iso whey protein & a few berries for breakfast. If I have bread with a sandwich it is almost always a dark bread & is packed with greens and meat usually ham or roast beef. Never drink milk use un-sweeten Almond milk & whipping cream. If I have pasta it is a minimal serving. Never desert of any kind. There are a few other things in there but that's pretty much the core of how I eat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I follow a low carb high fat diet but I feel much much better when following a strict vegan diet. Problem is that I find it much easier to follow a low carb high fat diet than a vegan diet but judging from how I feel when eating vegan, vegan is the better diet for me. But, I must also say that I do not eat any grains whatsoever and very limited fruits when following a vegan diet. So it is in essence a low fat, low carb, low protein diet.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I follow a low carb high fat diet but I feel much much better when following a strict vegan diet. Problem is that I find it much easier to follow a low carb high fat diet than a vegan diet but judging from how I feel when eating vegan, vegan is the better diet for me. But, I must also say that I do not eat any grains whatsoever and very limited fruits when following a vegan diet. So it is in essence a low fat, low carb, low protein diet.

Basically, a periodic starvation cycle? Despite your "feeling", perhaps there is a reason you only do it for short periods? For me personally, eating "plant-based" is what got me diabetes in the first place, I wouldn't even think of going back there.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I'm confused about which diet to follow...a low carb, high fat diet or something vegan like the Esselstyn diet. Especially because I want to watch heart and artery health. The low carb high fat diet is good for my BS but is it good for my arteries and my heart...Any advice in this regard?

I suggest you watch the video from beginning to end which is in the first post in this section under the heading:

"The Food Revolution -- AHS Presentation by Dr Andreas Eenfeldt"

As a diabetic, I think you would be hard-pressed to do better than Dr. Eenfeldt's advice on how to eat a healthy diet. It is so for everyone, not just diabetics but even much more so for diabetics. Note that Dr. Eenfeldt himself is neither diabetic nor overweight and never has been. He was drawn to eating healthy by working with his patients who suffered from metabolic syndrome, obesity and diabetes and after seeing the amazing results that LC/HF gave them.

Note near the beginning that he shows how doctor's were giving diabetics the RIGHT advice in 1917 (drop all starches, eat fats freely) and then "somehow" as lobbies grew strong and dietary advice was largely taken over by AGRICULTURAL concerns both in Sweden and the U.S., the official "advice" suddenly became absurdly wrong-headed and remains so until today.

Every minute of that video is extremely useful.

Also, take careful note of his remark about how many beginners go wrong when attempting low-carb. Every carb cut from your diet needs to be replaced with fats in the ratio of 9g of carbs = 4g of fat.

You must get energy from one or the other - fats or carbs. They are the only two sources of ATP, the energy source for your body's cells. Many "official" sources falsely present glucose as THE source of ATP ("energy"), but the truth is that it is only one of two sources and no longer the best one for us diabetics!

As he rightly points out, many beginners dabbling in "low-carb" fail to do that, suffer from lack of energy and other problems and then [falsely] conclude that "low-carb doesn't work for me". Beware of that pitfall. I have met MANY on forums like this one who made exactly that mistake.

We should always call it LC/HF like the Swedes and not just "low-carb" in order to clear up this confusion.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
... somehow this post ended up in the wrong thread ... oops ...

·
Registered
561 Posts

Out of curiosity, what are you eating if your diet is low in fat, carbohydrates, and protein? I defer to you, but are you eating enough?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I basically followed a raw diet based on low carb veggies such as zucchini, cabbage, cauliflower, peppers, low GI fruits like blue berries or strawberries, green juices ( freshly juiced) and limited seeds such as grounded linseeds and organic soy milk for breakfast. I also ate stirfried veggies.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm slowly making my way back there because I think it works for me...bloodsugar control when on this diet is excellent, no heartburn or digestion problems like when I'm on Atkins and my blood pressure actually becomes excellent when on this diet and I sleep much better. But it is very challenging and the willpower to make this a permanent lifestyle unfortunately is not there.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm slowly making my way back there because I think it works for me...bloodsugar control when on this diet is excellent, no heartburn or digestion problems like when I'm on Atkins and my blood pressure actually becomes excellent when on this diet and I sleep much better. But it is very challenging and the willpower to make this a permanent lifestyle unfortunately is not there.

François? Would you be able to develop a sort of hybrid way-of-eating using the basis of vegan and then including small amounts of protein & fats - enough to make it a bit less challenging & require less willpower - just not enough to compromise the benefits you derive from vegan? Most of us are using bits & pieces of several plans which meet our personal needs; very few of us subscribe to one specific diet with no variations.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Shanny, I think you are right. I must find something inbetween and that is the only way it can become a sustainable lifestyle. A diet is always a temporary thing and the challenge is to work out something that is sustainable over the longterm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You have no need to be confused about the dieting program just follow the good dieting program that have no side effect and not cause of the hair fall problem that is the most common.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I basically followed a raw diet based on low carb veggies such as zucchini, cabbage, cauliflower, peppers, low GI fruits like blue berries or strawberries, green juices ( freshly juiced) and limited seeds such as grounded linseeds and organic soy milk for breakfast. I also ate stirfried veggies.

I abandoned soy milk and all non-fermented soy products after I became convinced they are very unhealthy. Try googling [soy anti-nutrients] for example.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Has anyone been given a specific number of carbs per meal? I know everyone is different. My doc and dietian both told me 35 carbs a meal. I tried that and it did not work at all. He increased my Lantis from 26 to 28 and that didn't really do anything. I just didn't tell him and cut more carbs out and am better under control. He tried me on metformin but I got pancreatitis again and decided injections would be better for or me. They cyst on my pancreas the first time ingot pancreatitis was so large they had to attach my pancreas to my stomach. That is why I am so such a strange diabetic. Lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts