The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused about my numbers. From the reading I've been doing I thought that my glucose would go up after a meal then go back down again, but twice now I've seen a lower number 1 hour after a meal than the two hour reading.

Here's what I'm seeing:

Yesterday wake up 173
1 hr after dinner 108
2 hr after dinner 135
Before bed last night 123
Wake up today 186
1 hr after breakfast 197
2 hr after breakfast 184
didn't check at lunch
1 hr after dinner 103
2 hr after dinner 118

Breakfast today was the way I expected, higher after 2 hrs than 1 hr, but dinner last night and tonight seems backwards. Should I change my test timing, maybe 1 1/2 hr and 3 hrs after? Or am I just being too picky?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Dinner tonight was roast pork, about 1/2 cup of cooked cauliflower, and a salad with ranch dressing. About 7 grams of carbs for the meal. I didn't test after lunch but that was garlic parmesan wings, I'll call that 1 gram even though it was just chicken, butter, 1 clove of garlic, and 1/4 cup of parmesan. Breakfast was a tortilla wrap around deli turkey, swiss cheese, mayo, lettuce, spinach, celery, and tomato. I'm guessing around 10 grams of carb there. No snacks.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It depends on what you ate. Are you low-carbing?
You stole my question lol! I have a feeling that whatever cac67 is eating, it includes carbs that are often slow-acting. With that said, I think many people will have a higher 2-hour reading that one hour reading.

I read somewhere (bloodsugar101?) that your BG level peaks at 1hr 45m PP and by the 2 hr mark has started to lower. I may have to test that with my meter this week to see if it's true for me.

Meds can also have an effect on levels. Something is definitely happening during the overnight period to get cac67's levels that high though.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Breakfast was a tortilla wrap around deli turkey, swiss cheese, mayo, lettuce, spinach, celery, and tomato

Mayo, cheese are fats and slow the absorption of carbs. also lettuce spinach and celery are fiber and slow digestion down.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Breakfast was a tortilla wrap around deli turkey, swiss cheese, mayo, lettuce, spinach, celery, and tomato

Mayo, cheese are fats and slow the absorption of carbs. also lettuce spinach and celery are fiber and slow digestion down.

I go back to my original thought that your breafast (giving higher 1hr numbers) is faster acting than what you eat for dinner where you have higher 2hr numbers. Just a guess from this rookie lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That was the meal that went as expected, higher at 1 hr than 2 hr. But that is good to know about fats slowing the absorption of carbs, I can use that in planning.

I'm on Glyburide 5 mg twice daily, plus omeprazole for heartburn and lisinopril for high blood pressure.

O

·
0 Posts
everyone spikes different and it does depend on what you eat. It also depends on whether or not you have any stomach digestion issues too. For me I have unpredictable digestion and I can sometimes peak at 3 hours after eating, and other times an hour after eating. Because everyone is different, it's just a matter of testing regularly and getting an idea on how your body responds to food and anything else for that matter. Eg. with me stress can send my BGLs through the roof and it can stay high for a couple of hours or more afterwards without food. It can be frustrating and it doesn't matter how long you've had diabetes, you are always given a surprise of some sort at some point. :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
With a lot of Type 2's, we may get "liver dumps" when we are not eating. This is usually do to Insulin Resistance and misignals between liver and pancreas. I find my highest bgs of the day are when I wake up, especially if I sleep in for an hour or so, like weekends. If I eat right away (something lowcarb) than my bg will stop climbing and sometimes actually come down. I think this is because I have jumpstarted my insulin production. I think I have a lazy pancreas and it needs that spurt of insulin once in awhile.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With a lot of Type 2's, we may get "liver dumps" when we are not eating. This is usually do to Insulin Resistance and misignals between liver and pancreas. I find my highest bgs of the day are when I wake up, especially if I sleep in for an hour or so, like weekends. If I eat right away (something lowcarb) than my bg will stop climbing and sometimes actually come down. I think this is because I have jumpstarted my insulin production. I think I have a lazy pancreas and it needs that spurt of insulin once in awhile.
My biggest numbers are morning too. This is my 4th day, and I had my lowest morning number yet at 159.

I wonder if I might just be expecting too much too fast. I may just stop worrying about it so much for now and let my body adjust to the changes in diet and medication for a week.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
High fastings are caused by Dawn Phenomenom. It is one of those things that there are no magic answers to. I finally got mine down to around 100 give or take a few points. It took a very low carb diet and lots of metformin. Are you on any medication now. If not you may want to discuss that with doctor.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I may just stop worrying about it so much for now and let my body adjust to the changes in diet and medication for a week.
I've had to shrug it off myself - it's an aggravation, because all the rest of my numbers throughout the day are good & my A1c is dropping, but my averages & the A1c would all be even BETTER if not for the dumb DP!

A few of us have discovered that if we get up earlier & test, we get a more favorable number, but I spent my entire adult life getting up early to go to work, and now that I'm retired, by golly I'm gonna sleep in if I can! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Mine seems to run high compared with the numbers many chase, but I'm happy enough if it is in the 90-110 range. No meds to counter it and I may be wrong, but I don't see a problem if it stays in that range and I'm a full member of the 5 club.

Is there a problem thinking that way?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine seems to run high compared with the numbers many chase, but I'm happy enough if it is in the 90-110 range. No meds to counter it and I may be wrong, but I don't see a problem if it stays in that range and I'm a full member of the 5 club.

Is there a problem thinking that way?
I can't answer that, I just don't know. Right now my goal is to try to stay below 140. Once I've achieved that goal, I'll make a new one. Eventually I'd like to get into the normal range.

And switch from Glyburide to something safer.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I can't eat a tortilla for b'fast, lunch seems to be better for me and tomato is an edgy food for me. For some reason I just can't do carbs in the morning. So bacon and eggs are my go to foods for then. Also, is the mayo sugar free? Some are, some aren't.

Just random thoughts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't eat a tortilla for b'fast, lunch seems to be better for me and tomato is an edgy food for me. For some reason I just can't do carbs in the morning. So bacon and eggs are my go to foods for then. Also, is the mayo sugar free? Some are, some aren't.

Just random thoughts.
No, the mayo is plain old Helmans. But I was at 186 waking up, 197 1 hr after eating it and 184 after 2 hours, so it doesn't look like it was much of an issue. Lucky for me. :)

I had bacon and eggs 3 days straight and I wanted something a little lighter and quicker. I don't think I could eat the same thing for breakfast every day, especially since I'd rather just skip it. I know I can't, but I just don't get hungry until I've been up a few hours.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
No, the mayo is plain old Helmans. But I was at 186 waking up, 197 1 hr after eating it and 184 after 2 hours, so it doesn't look like it was much of an issue. Lucky for me. :)

I had bacon and eggs 3 days straight and I wanted something a little lighter and quicker. I don't think I could eat the same thing for breakfast every day, especially since I'd rather just skip it. I know I can't, but I just don't get hungry until I've been up a few hours.
Try just eating a little something when you get up, and eat more later, when you would normally eat breakfast. I use this technique when I can't eat breakfast right after I get up--for example, because I'm traveling, or going out to eat breakfast with others. Yesterday was Father's Day breakfast with our oldest daughter and her family. I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep, so about 5 a.m. I got up. My FBG was 95. I had an avocado and a cup of coffee with coconut oil. We met at the restaurant at 7:30, and, at 7:46 a.m., my BG was 78. We at breakfast, and my 2-hr PP was 95 again. That was my highest reading for the day.

I find that when I'm traveling, or avocados are otherwise not readily available, a single-serving packet of roasted pumpkin seeds works for me, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts