Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Confused diabetic

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Shanny 
#1 ·
Hi!
I've had diabetes type 1 since the summer of 2003. When I got diabetes I was 11 years old. The hospital that detected it found it unnecessary to give me any information on how my diet should be. And only gave the diet course to my parents. It probably makes sense to not give an 11 year old this course, but anyways.

I figuratively woke up a couple of years ago. I tried to fix my bloodsugar levels. But didn't manage. It's quite difficult for a 14 year old to do this all on herself.
My parents were never especially good at practicing what they had learned in that diet course. And I never understood properly what I could eat and not. I've basically lived on a rule that goes like this: "I can eat anything I want, just need to take enough insulin."
But this rule doesn't really work, and now I'm sick and tired of having almost continual high bloodsugar.

I use insulin. Insulatard at mornings and evenings, Novorapid before meals and when bloodsugar is high.
I usually take more insulatard in the morning, than I do in the evening. But lately I have woken up in the night or earlier in the morning with low bloodsugar values. Any tips on how I can prevent this? (sorry if I seem a bit stupid about my own disease. I think I might be just that)

Also I get this insane craving for lots of food when I get low bloodsugar and usually end up with high levels instead. If I eat too much, should I take extra insulin?

What Im basically wondering is: What can I eat? How many carbs can I eat a day? How can I learn to count carbs? And how can I know how much insulin is needed for each type of food? Should I be worried about fast and slow carbs? :S

Also. Im a girl. When "that time of the month" comes, it seems to me that I need more insulin. But it seems to change from time to time. Sometimes I need more insulin 1-2 weeks before, and sometimes I just need extra insulin during. Any tips?

Getting very confused,
Janine

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.