The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading posts like crazy, trying to figure out which artificial sweetener to use. Once I decide on one, I run across another post that says no, don't use that one for this reason or that.

So far I have only tried Splenda in the packets. I put it in barbeque sauce, spread it on the meat, but when I baked the meat, the sweetness baked out.

I figure if a sweetener spikes someone else's bg, it will also spike mine. So is there a sweetener out there that doesn't spike anyone's bg that cooking/baking doesn't destroy it and that hasn't been proven to be unsafe to use?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't really tried any sweeteners in baking... but... just because it spikes one person, doesn't mean it will spike you. Best bet is to try it, and if it does, you learn for the future.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Personally, I use Splenda because any of the other sweeteners are unavailable in our grocery store and I am not big on ordering online and paying shipping charges, which increases my food budget drastically.

I have used Splenda in my coffee, cooked with it, baked with it and it seems fine. For baking and cooking, I buy it in a bulk bag. I use the packets for my coffee.

It has not made a difference in my BG levels at all, either way.

I tried Stevia and it is still sitting in the cupboard as I found it very bitter and not for me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I looked online, it comes in crystals or powder, I don't know which to order. Do you know what the difference is, or is there a difference?
I use the crystals . . . not sure I've ever tried the powder. Maybe others here have & will pipe up.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I buy Erythitol on Netrition.com . It is great in baking and doesn't spike me a bit. Sometimes I mix it with stevia. I think different sweetners have different effects on bg. What you need to watch out for is if they are bulked up with dextrose or malodextrine, check the label. As far as BBQ sauce I buy the Walden Farms brand on Netrition. It has 0 carbs and doesn't spike me.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I use the crystals as well, mostly because that's what I've found cheapest at Amazon, and what looks coolest in my sugar bowl :)

The powdered dissolves a little easier so would be better if that's an issue. But I'd think you could just pulverize the crystals in a food processor just as well.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
741 Posts
lol @ moon...oh that cracks me up...it does have to look pretty I so agree!

I love stevia but only in the liquid form...and its way too expensive...I don't get sugar spikes from any sweeteners...I use stevia because its not artificial...but when you buy it in pill form its got 'fillers' in it...I will try some erythitol as soon as I can find some..I don't really want to pay for the shipping either lol...I'm off to hassle my local health food shop and see if they can get some :)...

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I just bought some Truvia crystals...should I not open it or is it good? I don't use a lot of sweeteners and am still using cyclamate in my coffee but is it good? I can return it...

O

·
0 Posts
well my $0.02 worth is that I use low GI sugar if I want to add sweetness. I don't tend to use a lot of it... although I have found it doesn't spike me. I use it in baking for the family too. It's just sugar coated with molasses which slows down absorbtion of the sugar in your blood. But the downside is I don't think it's sold in USA or anywhere other that Australia as yet. Maybe in the future you could find it on your shelves?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sweeteners...

I would recommend Stevia. It is a plant extract that you can now get in liquid or powdered form. When eaten naturally (it is a plant, looks similar to mint) it has a bit of an aftertaste. What they sell in stores (health food department) I think has no aftertaste.

This is something I came across while looking up all sorts of stuff related to diabetes recently:

Sugar Substitutes
In an effort to cut calories, overweight people will consume beverages with sugar substitutes. This strategy backfires as the pancreas is stimulated to release insulin without the presence of glucose in the blood stream. The individual cells respond by removing receptor sites for insulin. When the body does consume food, the cells are unable to uptake much of the resulting glucose because of the reduced number of insulin receptors and the glucose circulates to the liver where it is stored as fat. Additionally, sugar substitutes tend to be much, much sweeter than real sugar and create a craving for very sweet substances.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sam M said:
I would recommend Stevia. It is a plant extract that you can now get in liquid or powdered form. When eaten naturally (it is a plant, looks similar to mint) it has a bit of an aftertaste. What they sell in stores (health food department) I think has no aftertaste.

This is something I came across while looking up all sorts of stuff related to diabetes recently:

Sugar Substitutes
In an effort to cut calories, overweight people will consume beverages with sugar substitutes. This strategy backfires as the pancreas is stimulated to release insulin without the presence of glucose in the blood stream. The individual cells respond by removing receptor sites for insulin. When the body does consume food, the cells are unable to uptake much of the resulting glucose because of the reduced number of insulin receptors and the glucose circulates to the liver where it is stored as fat. Additionally, sugar substitutes tend to be much, much sweeter than real sugar and create a craving for very sweet substances.
I have been using Stevia a little. Use it in unsweetened Almond Milk when I can find it. Also use it in my yogurt a little. Tried it in coffee but it just killed the coffee. Have not baked with it but going to give it a try in banana bread.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I personally prefer Truvia... I can not taste the after taste but my wife can... on the other hand i can taste the after taste in all the others but she can not...

NOW the important part.... The Sauce... I use the recipe that is all over the internet for the Coke Sauce but I substitute either Diet Coke or Coke Zero... and I use low Carb ketchup (Sometimes :) ) I will make a large batch and bottle some up... It seems to keep pretty good.

In fact I will be starting a Batch soon to use with my Ribs tonight...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Is there any chance of a bit more info on the low GI sugar?
I find two types of sugar spike me much less than regular refined sugar:

1) Turbinado sugar (closer to raw, less-processed sugar, though still 'processed')
2) Honey

Neither of those can I have in large quantity (honey spikes me less than the turbinado sugar does, though) and I always have them with something fatty to slow absorption/digestion.

For packet sweeteners I use Truvia (a blend of erythritol and rebiana - the latter actually comes from the stevia plant) and Stevia. Stevia doesn't go so well in some things it seems, which is why I also have my Truvia. Neither of these affects my BG's.

I have tried Splenda in the 'for baking' package, but found it spiked me - I'm honestly thinking it was the high quantities of maltodextrin they use to make it's crystals, as drinks with Sucralose don't seem to affect me at all.

For diet sodas I seem fine with anything with aspartame or sucralose - but I ONLY ever consume diet sodas with my meals now, and no more than one per day.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is a confusing what sweetener to use. I'm currently using Truvia, but wish I could find it loose...I hate having to open those little packets. I use Splenda for my baking, plus I recently bought Equal in the pourable container...not to crazy about the "taste". So far, I gonna stick with using Truvia.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It is a confusing what sweetener to use. I'm currently using Truvia, but wish I could find it loose...I hate having to open those little packets. I use Splenda for my baking, plus I recently bought Equal in the pourable container...not to crazy about the "taste". So far, I gonna stick with using Truvia.

Shoppers has Truvia in small containers here

Or online
Truvia Sweetener - 1 Container (9.80 oz) | Meijer.com

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have tried many sweeteners....truvia, stevia, stevia in the raw, etc. I am currently using agave nectar. I haven't baked with it so I can't comment on that but it has not spiked my bgl even when I use a lot in my tea

I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts