The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get so confused about diet. I try to go for the lowest carbs I can find. When I was diagnosed, my doctor suggested I shoot for 45 carbs per meal. My step-father, who is also Type 2, said that was too low. My doctor told me I could eat whatever I wanted, I just have to fit it into my carb allowance. I was doing fairly well at first, but I'm starting to follow my usual pattern. I get frustrated with the counting and start to slack off. A perfect example is ice cream. The first month, I was measuring it out and only allowing myself so much. Lately, I've slid back and not even really paid much attention to how much I've eaten. I've been told for as long as I can remember not to eat much fat. Now I'm trying to get used to buying regular fat versions of cottage cheese, sour cream, salad dressing, etc. I'm recovering from addiction to pain pills, but I can't seem to get my diet right to control my blood sugar yet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Connie :D, I would know how frustrated you can be as we all loooove food. Carbohydrates are the main thing here and there are too many food sources that has carbs in them.
So think of the things that we supposed to avoid like cake, Icecream, Chockolate YUM :eek:, and the like. but I would have a bite once in a blue moon.

Exercise should be with everyone!! and drink lot's of water!!! Take this in and don't go like a bull at a gate but maintain consistency and raise some sweat. Take with you some fast carbs like candy or Orange Juice if you feel low.
So yes this is where carbs are not OK but there are times to take carbs when you're low. ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Connie, welcome to DF. Many of us have recieved terrible advise about diet from doctors and dieticians. They don't want to deprive us so they tell you that you can still eat all the carbs you want just in smaller portions. What they are missing is that many of us are carbaholics, so if we have 1/4 cup of a carb we are always going to want more. I think it even makes it harder to diet and keep bgs low on a higher carb diet. The science behind low carb diets is to feed your body just enough carbs from healthy sources to give you energy. This way you eliminate most carb cravings. I try to get all my carbs from veggies and low carb treats I make with ground almond flour or flaxseed. These foods don't require a strong insulin response. Use your bg meter to test at 2 hours after you eat diffferent foods. The foods that are good for you are the ones that keep your bg low. Since we are all different, it takes a lot of testing. I also find that some foods may not spike me right away but will store more glycogen in my liver giving me higher bgs the next morning from DP ( dawn phenomenom)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts