The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am considering using the pump and am interested in thoughts, opinion, experiences pro or con. I have been noticing that the signs of high or low levels are not as evident after 5 yrs of living with T1 and think it may be time to consider this option.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Be prepared to test a lot, like 8 to 10 times a day. The second thing is the cost. Not just the cost of the pump but the cost of the supplies. What I spend for a three month supply of supplies would buy a couple years worth of syringes. As far as control goes it is the best way to go but requires twice the work.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm an MDIer and don't see any reason to change since I'm well controlled on my current regimen. I think no matter what the delivery system, it takes committment and effort. I just don't see the need to incur the additional expense right now. Who knows...maybe I'll feel differently in the future. I know that many, many pumpers are very happy with their tool of choice.

Jen

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm an MDIer and don't see any reason to change since I'm well controlled on my current regimen. I think no matter what the delivery system, it takes committment and effort. I just don't see the need to incur the additional expense right now. Who knows...maybe I'll feel differently in the future. I know that many, many pumpers are very happy with their tool of choice.

Jen
I am glad that you refered to it as a tool because thats all they are. I would still be on MDI myself if it was not for my basal requirements needing to change so much throughout the day. It is definetly a personal choice and is not for everyone.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
If my pump was not covered by insurance I would have to quit. It is very expensive!!! If you really work very hard to know how to use your pump and take every effort to get great control, you should have fewer highs and lows. I know I did. That could result in your feeling your highs and lows much more easily.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm thinking of asking my endocrinologist about this next week when I see him.... I have to eat with my kids at work and can't leave my room so I can give myself a shot...food is high carb and I can tell that a couple hours later I'm high...I get really crabby and easily stressed... Do you have to be above a certain a1c to qualify with most insurance companies?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts