The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have read a great many posts about people struggeling with what we have come to call control. Now control by nature is an agresive term. It would mean making someone or something do what you want it to do. Then the reality sets in that we really can't control diabetes but in reality it is the one in charge. It calls all the shots and decides if it likes what you have done.

What we must do is let it believe it is in control and be bubmissive in what it wants. We must bow down and say hes oh Great D Master you are right and I will no longer question your wisdom.

I really think the key is to be submissive and do what is expected of us by or own diabetes. Just my point of view. Please share your point of view.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I think this is a personality thing. If I took a submissive point of view it would depress me too much. I feel less depressed over diabetes than I do other issues over which I have zero control, and it's all precisely because I have a (misguided or not)belief I can control it.

When diabetes becomes recalcitrant, then I'll have to move to other methods to rein it in, but still with an attitude of 'I'm gonna corral you, you SOB"

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
LOL
I guess you`re right!
To believe we control our diabetes is as we believe that pigs can fly....:rolleyes:
My hope for the future is to learn to satisfy my diabetes so it doesn`t make me feel like crap with way to high or low bloodsugar.
I thought I`d finally learned that my diabetes requires the insulin taken about one hour before a meal. But guess whar happened? For the first time in weeks the insuline did it`s job after 15 minute, which made me to a really dizzy and sick slave of my diabetes which made my bloodsugar drop like a rock right down from 7,3 to 2,2 in 15 minutes.:eek:
Hah! Control the diabetes? I admit it, I don`t control it at all. We just live together:cool:

Reactions: Adjitater

·
Registered
497 Posts
You can control what you eat, you can control your feelings (To a point), you can control how you think about a future that is unknown. All the things you can control are not what determines what, when and how your diabetes will make you feel physically somedays. If you submit to your diabetes it makes it easier on you and you will not be overwhelmed when or if it happens.

I decided to work with my diabetes and deal with it how i can, now I cn do better but 6 months in, I'm pretty good. I eat right, I have lost 56lbs, my kids are learning to eat right. All the things that one with diabetes should do. Now it's a partnership, I'm not going anywhere and neither is my diabetes, all I can do is keep him happy and essentially that makes me happy.

Control or submit, either one is helping you deal with something that most people don't worry about and that we have. I don't even expect people to understand my diabetes, why should they? If they want to know something, I tell them. I work with a guy who has had it for 16 years nows, his doc tells him how to eat, his doc tells him what meds, his doc tells him to test 1 time a week. And you know what? He does all that and has never had a complication, never been over 6.3 A1C and is happy. He doesn't troll the internet looking for answers, he lets his doctor take care of the dissease and he gets busy living. That is how I want to do it.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I think this is the most balanced -:)
and hold hands and sing Kumbayah! :lalala:

Actually, I think Adjitater is correct and that, in controlling all the things that we need to control....food intake, BG testing, exercise, parents-in-law (oops, sorry, that one just slipped in there) ...then we do, in fact, submit to the big D. We are saying, yes you are the boss and if you tell me to eat low carb, I will. If you tell me to test after each meal, I will and if you tell me... never mind....I'm still on the parents-in-law thingy.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
man, its a fine line thats for sure.

eating to my meter, but not wanting to get fat again means theres not a whole lot that im willing to put in my mouth.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do think we each have to know how our diabetic body reacts to all sorts of things food, meds, stress or exercise. We definitely have to live our lives differently than if we didn't have D. I don't know if I would call this submission but more Reality. I know what will happen if I don't maintain control. I do think a lot of diabetics are out of control and really don't think twice about bgs, food or complications, now to me that is the scarier option.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
While "partnership" is the balanced, healthy term, I have a heckuva time getting there. To me, partnerships are agreed upon by all parties, while diabetes is like a burglar I've surprised in my bedroom. I may choose to be lenient, but no way am I gonna form a partnership -- based on MY stuff -- with anyone who invades my home!

That said, I'm still mulling over a good term for this forced relationship.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Long ago just after my diagnosis I had the attitude that while I may have Diabetes, it does not have me. Funny how over the years my attitude has changed. When I first started using insulin and told my doctor, "I'm having constant 'lows' between 10:00 a.m. and 4 p.m." He did NOT believe me and I was too ignorant to know enough to cut back on my insulin at those times.

My body kept telling me, but I didn't listen well. Now....things are different. Most the time I listen to what Diabetes is saying. What choice do I have - if I don't listen, then the big 'D' knocks me backward just to get my attention. It is a love/hate relationship we have. I hate it when I don't feel good, but love it when everything lines up well and BG are stable for a day or two or maybe even three :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
There are parts of diabetes that we can't control, but we can control how we react, emotionally and physically.

I'm far from perfect, but I do try my best to control my behavior--testing, eating right, exercising, seeing the doctor--so that I can exert as much control over the disease as possible. I know that one day the disease will progress despite my best efforts, but that's okay. I don't think of that as submitting or surrendering to diabetes. Diabetes will change and I'll have to change, too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I once knew a man who got angry at the weather -- seriously! Not much he could do about it either way... except dress and plan his daily activities appropriately.

With my diabetes I have a lot more "control" than I do over the weather. I am not a victim to my circumstances but I do need to recognise the circumstance of my having a carbohydrate tolerance disorder.

It is what it is.

I see not point in fighting against it, nor submitting to it... both of which seem to me to be negative viewpoints.

I choose not to lead the rest of my life with a negative viewpoint.

Reactions: foxl

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Submission/Control of D is like having a new born baby in the house, yea your in control, especially when they wake up screaming in the middle of the night wanting something to eat. Control is using your brain to over come the obstacles placed in your way.

Reactions: Cadydid

·
Registered
710 Posts
I prefer to think of my diabetes project as a collaborative effort: My conscious mind is tasked with recognizing what my body and sub-consious mind are offering as input and taking whatever action is necessary when the time arises.

Sometimes it goes in reverse - we train the background operators. Take hypos, for instance. When we experience our first low, our autonomic system tells us that we are in terrible danger and need to eat, eat, eat. As we become more experienced, we train ourselves that this is an inappropriate emergency response; we learn that we will not die, and that we can treat the low with just enough carb to return to a favorable blood sugar level. Our body learns that panic is not necessary - just cooperation with the conscious mind.

Jen

·
Registered
78 Posts
For some reason Im thinking boxing ring after reading this.. its me and diabetes and we are there gloved up and ready to go.. it got its first punch in when I got diagnosed but I got mine when my A1C went down over 2 points in just 10 weeks.

Its back and forth from there.. some days I get the better punch in and some days it does. Neither is winning by a knockout.. its pretty much a 50-50 fight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts