The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so today is the first day of battling a flu bug. I have felt nauseated, chilled, achy, etc. The problem I'm having is that the only thing I seem to be able to keep down is Ichiban soup and ginger ale with real sugar.

I know this is not a good diet for me and I cringe every time I take a sip of the ginger ale, but it seems to be the only thing that is working. Even water at this point makes me gag.

How do the rest of you cope with a flu or cold bug?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I Simply Wait it OUT!

Okay, so today is the first day of battling a flu bug. I have felt nauseated, chilled, achy, etc. The problem I'm having is that the only thing I seem to be able to keep down is Ichiban soup and ginger ale with real sugar.

I know this is not a good diet for me and I cringe every time I take a sip of the ginger ale, but it seems to be the only thing that is working. Even water at this point makes me gag.

There are no secrets to beating the flu bug. We simply must take good care, and be extra sensative to the fact that our BGS may vary somewhat. There is also the chance that we could dehydrate, so be careful, and take it one dxay at a time!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think when you are sick, you need to do whatever possible to get better. That may mean eating more carbs than normal. Being sick by itself will send bgs soaring, so the sooner you get well the sooner you can get back to normal.

O

·
0 Posts
it's not fun that's for sure... get better soon :) Personally I just make sure I keep my fluid intake high and make sure I get plenty of rest. I take this herbal tonic called "multi-vital" by a brand called 'greenridge'. I actually get annoyed with others who happily sneeze on me and then tell me they have a cold. Oh I want to slap them! I personally think people are inconsiderate when they come to work sick with contagious bugs. I seem to be unfortunate with viruses as I wind up with a respitory infection almost every time and it takes me ages to recover from a common cold as a result. Some who know me can't figure out why it annoys me so much... I just know that it's not as easy for some. I told one of my staff today actually to stay home tomorrow as I've been watching her sneezing all over the joint... and she was asking me "where is everyone"... off sick with colds of course... like you should be! I know some people like soldiering on... but please! Well I'm washing my hands over 100 times I reckon just to make sure I'm not picking up their bugs. That's my vent for the day. lol. Again, I hope you get better quick and that you are resting.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sandra ... Hope you feel better right quick! :hug:

Ichiban and ginger ale may be your best friends right now.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

I have to be careful when I am around someone who has a cold or flu. I have low immunoglobulins so it takes forever to recover from most bugs. I hope that you feel better soon. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what this "bug" is that I have. I'm really not sure if it is a bug or if it is the Metformin. I didn't take any of my Metformin yesterday because I was unable to keep anything down. This morning I woke up, didn't feel too bad. Took my Metformin and within about 4 hours the nausea and feeling of being unwell started all over again.

Could it be the Metformin. I have felt crappy for a month but thought it was just a change in diet and that I would start feeling better soon. Instead, I feel worse.

O

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure what this "bug" is that I have. I'm really not sure if it is a bug or if it is the Metformin. I didn't take any of my Metformin yesterday because I was unable to keep anything down. This morning I woke up, didn't feel too bad. Took my Metformin and within about 4 hours the nausea and feeling of being unwell started all over again.

Could it be the Metformin. I have felt crappy for a month but thought it was just a change in diet and that I would start feeling better soon. Instead, I feel worse.
If you don't have fever.... then I wouldn't be surprised. I was very sick on Metformin and put up with it for years.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Some folks say the extended-release version of Metformin is easier on the system.

Whatever is happening to you, I hope it clears up ASAP.

More good thoughts ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts