Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Correction Bolus Dosages

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  breezeonby 
Hi Richard - Thanks for your answer. I do understand your instructions as I have now finished reading "Using Insulin" which I found reinforced and clarified the info in "Think Like a Pancreas".

I am still having problems getting dosages right. I have settled on 26 units of Lantus before bed as instead of my pre-insulin morning BSL's of 360, they are now in the acceptable range. I did the half-day fasting test and the BSL s stayed good throughout. However after three hypo-free nights, I had a hypo last night at 3.30am! 48. I had the regulation amount of glucose and my morning level was 74 -that was good as I usually rebound really high after a hypo. I am puzzled as to whether I should reduce the Lantus more tonight, to avoid a hypo. Even though all the rest of my basal BSL's seem ok for the last few days. The hypo during the night could possibly have been because I took a one hour walk 6 - 7 pm.
Try to lower your Lantus by 2 units per night for about 3 days to see how that affects you. If you are still going low, then reduce your dose by another 2 units. Lantus does not usually cause lows unless you are taking too much of it. It has no peak. Exercise can affect your blood sugar levels for 24-48 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.