The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! My thread probably is no surprise to anyone who has diabetes, but testing and treating diabetes is very expensive. I get a 3-month supply of my medications at a time. I have a set insurance copay but my pharmacy always shows on the receipt how much my insurance saves me. If I had to pay for my medications and supplies out of pocket, I wouldn't make it. My insulin alone for 3 months retails for $1700. I am not sure what my true out of pocket expense is per year, but it is up there. How do you survive? I do buy some extra supplies that my insurance doesn't pay for, but I shop for the lowest price on everything. And then, diabetics usually buy some special food as well. If you don't have diabetes-then you have no idea of the expenses.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My pharmacist was the first to say it aloud when I presented with prescriptions for diabetes meds . . . "it's one of the most expensive ailments there is".

Thankfully I was on (cheap) metformin during the time before I aged into Medicare.

Now here's the incredible part: Once I qualified, I got all my Medicare policies in order, and I also qualified for a Missouri state assistance program. So when I picked up my meds this month, I owed not one cent. If it comes about that I need insulin or a brand-name drug, I will owe a co-pay, but right now when everything is generic, my insurance covers the whole thing. That one blind-sided me - I would never have expected total coverage. Thank you, State of Missouri!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shanny, that is great! My Mother is on Medicare, but she doesn't take any prescription medication. And she rarely goes to the doctor-probably not the best thing to do, but she doesn't get sick! Anyway, being on insulin can get expensive. The alcohol swabs, syringes, sharps container and then the insulin. Do you buy much special food?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
At first the grocery bill expanded quite a bit, but I've gotten it down to where it's about business as usual around here again . . . I always cooked from scratch anyhow, and have gotten most of the tried/true recipes modified for low carb now. We do buy a lot more cream cheese and heavy cream than ever before, but even that consumption has subsided since the beginning. I just have to look a little farther afield for my Olé tortillas & Dreamfields pasta! :p

Like with yesterday's CB&C . . . I made it same as always - corned beef roast in the crockpot with veggies dumped on top (I sauté the cabbage in a skillet first to wilt it down so more will fit in the crock), so we still had cabbage & carrots - I just deleted the spuds. It was perfectly delicious & we ate it again tonight! :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It is so expensive. You cant imagine how thankful I am everyday for the exceptional medical coverage I have. A 3month supply of my insulin runs me about 53.00. Syringes, lancets, and testing strips cost me nothing. I did have to pay about 1100 for my new pump and the first three months of supplies, but the pump itself was 6000 dollars, so I am not complaining. I am greatful everyday for it. I just cant imagine how hard it must be with no coverage :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow come to Australia - it's not as expensive over here. We've got government subsidies or something that reduces the price to affordable amounts. I think it's called the PBS? Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme? My levemir penfills for 5 packs of 5 cost me around $30 or so. They were much more expensive before they got put on the scheme, but my doctor had samples he gave me until they came on the scheme lucikly.

But we do have to pay for glucose strips - and they keep rising in price everytime I go to buy some! It's crazy!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I know people who order insulin and/or diabetes meds from Canadian pharmacies. One diabetic in northern Maine drives into Canada every few months and buys a several month supply. It costs much less than in the USA. Walmart has a special program for diabetics, but I don't know who qualifies for it. I buy some of my meters and strips at Walmart. Their Relion meter and strips are very reasonably priced.

G

·
It's Going To Start Costing More..!

With the new "Obama Care" that was just passed we all had better get use to the fact that medical/medicine is going to cost not only more.. but it'll take us longer to receive those so called benefits.

They're cutting how many millions from Medicare and the advantage plans? Don't forget that 2014 is when most of the plan goes into effect, while some taxes and other costs will go into effect immediately.

It's bad enough that we have the big "D", but to place us under the above situation is completely uncalled for.

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
158 Posts
hi

Iam a recently diagnosed diabetic and I noticed you are from Texas.May I ask how do you cut cost.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts