The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused. Do I buy fat free, low fat or regular when it comes to these products? Also, low fat cheese or regular cheese? Are the cream cheese spreads okay to use?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Cream cheese is great for me.

Yogurt, cottage cheese ... not so good. Read labels, by brand, and test like mad.

I LOVE cottage cheese, too!:(

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Never buy "low fat" anything, just a fancy way of adding more crap into something that doesnt need messing with

Reactions: Cricket

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the info. I'm very new at this and still learning. I can't check my levels yet as not seeing the doc until this coming week. Was diagnosed by default in ER late last week and put on Metformin in the meantime so no idea what my numbers are. But I have gone very low carb and starting to learn all I can in the meantime. Also have given up all sugar and anything white.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I buy the full fat version, if possible. I like to buy the organic full fat sour cream and cream cheese. I used to be able to eat greek yogurt, but now it does spike me over 120. I don't have good luck with cottage cheese, plus it has a lot of sodium in it. I would rather eat Ricotta Cheese. I do eat a lot of hard cheeses and have no problem.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I use the full fat versions of all those dairy products and I also use full fat mayonnaise, as well as heavy whipping cream to use instead of milk. I dilute the cream with water for anything that calls for milk, and it has never disappointed me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use the full fat versions of all those dairy products and I also use full fat mayonnaise, as well as heavy whipping cream to use instead of milk. I dilute the cream with water for anything that calls for milk, and it has never disappointed me.
How does the diluted cream compare with milk? I've been using the 0% fat milk for as long as I can remember and don't really care for even 2% anymore.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
How does the diluted cream compare with milk? I've been using the 0% fat milk for as long as I can remember and don't really care for even 2% anymore.
Fat free (or skim) milk has a lot of carbs in it. i believe 12g per cup, but its been so long since ive had it, that i cannot remember

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Fat free (or skim) milk has a lot of carbs in it. i believe 12g per cup, but its been so long since ive had it, that i cannot remember
Yep, one cup of skim milk has 12g carbs. One cup of diluted cream (1:1 with water) has 3.5g carbs.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
One cup of diluted cream (1:1 with water) has 3.5g carbs.
I'll be )(#%&#. What an idiot. I thought whipping cream was free since it showed 0 carbs/serving, but of course that serving was 1-2T. I've been whipping it with erythritol and eating a cup whipped easy. It wasn't enough carbs to spike me, but 3 carbs here 3 carbs there starts adding up. Lesson learned. I need to look these things up!

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'll be )(#%&#. What an idiot. I thought whipping cream was free since it showed 0 carbs/serving, but of course that serving was 1-2T. I've been whipping it with erythritol and eating a cup whipped easy. It wasn't enough carbs to spike me, but 3 carbs here 3 carbs there starts adding up. Lesson learned. I need to look these things up!
I eat it with abandon too, Moon . . . and the lowest fasting I've had recently was 115 (6.3) the morning after Easter dinner when we pigged out on Marty's waffles totally SMOTHERED with whipped cream & strawberries. What I usually do is s/f strawberry gelatin, smothered in whipped cream.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I wish our Walmart would start stocking almond milk . . . but there's another supermarket down on the Interstate that sells Almond Breeze, so at least I can get it. If people thought I was nutty before, what would they think if they knew I now live on almonds? Raw almonds, roasted almonds, almond flour, almond butter, almond milk?! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been using "Silk" almond milk unsweetened... 8oz- 1carb, 1fiber

bugg:)Walmart special
Thanks, bugg! I was thinking about checking Silk out. Now I'm pretty sure I will!

·
Registered
609 Posts
2 softened bars of full-fat Original Philly cream cheese, 2 eggs, a little anise extract, and 1/4 cup Truvia sweetener, whipped with a mixer, and baked for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, chilled and scooped into a desert dish and voila! my grandmother's South Philly Cheesecake without the crust - so far the best part of being diabetic!:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
718 Posts
I really need to figure out how to make a cheesecake...sigh...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
2 softened bars of full-fat Original Philly cream cheese, 2 eggs, a little anise extract, and 1/4 cup Truvia sweetener, whipped with a mixer, and baked for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, chilled and scooped into a desert dish and voila! my grandmother's South Philly Cheesecake without the crust - so far the best part of being diabetic!:D:D:D:D
Mmmmmmm ... !

Wonder what that would be like with crushed almonds or something on the bottom?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts