The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing symptoms of neuropathy in my hands and feet for the past few weeks. My main concern though is I have Acanthosis nigricans on my under arm, between my legs, and forehead. I decided to get a glucose monitor. I didn't check every day, but on random days.

I'm overweight and have uncontrollable blood pressure as well.

2 hours after eating dinner I get numbers between 110 and 125 and for fasting I get between 90 and 105. This is based on a few random days only though.

On a side note, one of my BP medications includes as a possible side effect pain in extremities, so that could also be the cause of my neuropathy like symptoms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just did an at home A1C test and got a 5.7 result which means I am Pre-Diabetic I think. :( My father loss his legs to diabetes just after 5 years, and died after 11 years due to complications from it.

Will Pre-Diabetics always become Diabetics or is there still hope. I am only 27 and I don't want to die before I am 40 from this. :(.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What is your diet like? I would cut carbs so you can start losing some weight

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would say your numbers may indicate the beginnings of Insulin Resistance or Metabolic Syndrome. Both conditions are precursers to full blown diabetes. Since Diabetes runs in your family I would start to be very proactive about diet and exercise. Lowering your carb intake, especially processed carbs should help your weight, BP and blood sugar. I would go to the doctors for a full physical and dx.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am already seeing the doctor this week for uncontrollable HBP, gets up to 170/100 at night even with all kinds of medications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also wanted to say I have been dieting and have lost around 25 lbs in the last 90 days and need to get rid of another around 100 lbs to be at a healthy weight. Took 4 years to gain this weight, and seems so much harder to lose it.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
In my experience, if you do eat low carb, really low...say about 20-50 a day, you'll continue to lose weight and your blood sugar as shown by your A1C and high blood pressure will go down. You probably can stave off drugs for a few years if you do this and continue the way of eating for the rest of your life. Just avoid breads, flours, sugar of course and other sources of carbohydrate. You may well discover better insulin response and that will tide you over for some years.

If it took you 4 years to gain the weight, be prepared to spend a year at least to lose it if not longer. But, it is the way to eat for the rest of your life and not have complications.

Good luck, and report and ask any questions you want...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had uncontrollable HBP for over 10 years, even when I was a teen of normal weight. I was so bad with monitoring and taking my meds too. For at least 5 years I had significant sleep apnea and hypoxia when I slept. People begged me to get my apnea checked out saying I stop breathing for so long each night. I ignored them.

I decided to turn things around two months ago. Did a sleep study that showed significant hypoxia last month when I sleep due to apnea. 70 to 75% Oxygen level during sleep. Levels like this can do damage I think and increase blood sugar levels. I am now on a CPAP, dieting and working out, actively monitoring by BP and taking my BP meds, and talking to my doctor about how we can get my blood pressure under control. I will also go over with him some of my concerns with the darkening skin and limb pain I have been having.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Sorry to welcome you to the club

1 - 9 of 9 Posts