The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

a little about is I am 18 years old, female, 5'1", and is about 119 pounds. I would say my diet is really awful and mainly consists of junk food, meat, rice, macaroni, and egg. In the summer I suffered from a cough that wouldn't go away and so I ended up taking about 3 types of antibiotics. After I ended getting stomach problems that might be IBS, I am getting colonoscopy in June. My symptoms of diabetes started around the same time my stomach problems started.

Symptoms and little info

- back in the starting of September I woke up one day and I had to go washroom really badly every hour. This lasted for a day or two. The pee was clear to light yellow and was a huge amount compared to what I drank.

- same symptoms came back in early October the day before a midterm

-same thing again happened in early November the days before my midterm

-in middle to late November I got a cold and so my symptoms of frequent peeing lasted and then continued into December.

- During this time I have been going back and forth from my doctors to get a diagnoses of my IBS and my bladder problems.

-January I went back to my doctor because I am experiencing a floater in my left eye that comes and goes but is still visible to this day. Also vision was off, but has now got better. Did end up going to a eye doctor also who said it was just because of the bright light of sun during winter in my area ( I always have problem seeing outside and so I tend to squint a lot).

- In that January appointment the finally made me do a urine sample. Before they sent the test result it seemed like I had a UTI and so I was given antibiotics for it.

-Symptoms still occurred and so I return in February where I learnt that it was not in fact a UTI cause it was negative for it and also negative for sugar. They basically ended up saying it could be all in my head or anxiety/stress related. But because I was coming in a lot they did ask if I wanted to do a blood test just to make sure I didn't have diabetes even though they were 100% sure that it wasn't diabetes. I of course already tired of them putting down my symptoms refused (though I regret that now)

- They told me to just wait 15 min if I get the urge to pee to train my bladder. It did seem to work for I was able to hold my bladder up to 6 hours with a little urge of peeing. But yesterday, out of nowhere, I have been needing to go to the washroom every 30 min -2 hours depending if I drank something. I would say my output is greater than my input which is a flag for me because since October I never had that symptom. I always peed out what I drank in and that was a little bit.

-other symptoms I am experiencing is dry mouth when I am hungry or for no reason at all. Water does not seem to help, but making sure my mouth is hydrated by saliva does seem to help it. I also seem to be getting hungry faster but I feel like this is just because of my metabolism, in my head, my diet, or because for the past year my meals tended to be hours apart to the point I would starve myself immensely before eating (due to not going grocery shopping or because of my school/work schedule).

Sorry if this is a long post to read. Any advice I get I will be thankful for. I am also asking if I should go ahead and get a glucose meter just to test at home?

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Yes, do get the meter. A more economical meter and strips, Relion Prime, can be bought at Walmart.

Don't just do random tests. Here's the protocol that will give you the information you need to determine if you are diabetic, or at least having difficulty processing carbohydrates.

Test before you eat. Then 1 hour after your first bit. Then 1 hour after that.
(Pre-meal, 1hr pp, 2hr pp) Non-diabetics typically won't see numbers above 140, but diabetics will.

Do this for several of your typical meals. Record what you ate, and what your meter readings were. Then post them here and we'll analyze them.

Whether or not you are diabetic, with a diet like you describe, you're most likely going to suffer from some health problems because of it. If you are, indeed, heading down the path to diabetes, a high-carbohydrate way of eating is just the opposite of what you should be doing. Do explore some of the low-carb plans. Any of them would be a great improvement over what you are currently doing.

·
Registered
837 Posts
a little about is I am 18 years old, female, 5'1", and is about 119 pounds. I would say my diet is really awful and mainly consists of junk food, meat, rice, macaroni, and egg. In the summer I suffered from a cough that wouldn't go away and so I ended up taking about 3 types of[/B] antibiotics. After I ended getting stomach problems that might be IBS, I am getting colonoscopy in June. My symptoms of diabetes started around the same time my stomach problems started.

Taking three types of antibiotics in one summer is likely to cause your stomach/gut to have problems, especially if one of them was CIPRO. Did your doctor tell you to take some probiotics with or after the antibiotics? Mine did when I had my bout with bacterial infections. It really helped clear up my problems.
Ask your doctors about that. Heavy amounts of carbs (junk food, rice, macaroni, breads) would contribute to a messed up gut also.

I'm not saying you couldn't have diabetes, too. I'm just sharing my experience with heavy antibiotics. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have been diagnosed as "glucose intolerant" since I was 10 years old (via the dreaded five hour GTT- no longer done). Because of it I was put on a low carb diet and had no problems until I developed a pancreatitis because of gallstones. A few years later I was officially diagnosed diabetic.

The reason I say all that is that EVEN IF lab numbers don't specifically state that you are diabetic to the physicians, if you have symptoms, and especially if your meter shows any dramatic changes, either with meals or in the mornings when you wake up (compared to what it shows just before bedtime), you may be pre-diabetic. I have eaten close to the LCHF diet my whole life (although not closely enough) and it made it easier to switch to it recently when it was so necessary to do so. It probably also limited damage to the rest of my body before I was officially diagnosed.

Diabetics will become thirsty especially when the blood sugar is high, because of the effect the high sugar concentration has upon the characteristics of the blood, and because the kidneys attempt to rid the body of excess sugars through the urine. The sugars pull out more than usual water via osmosis and the dehydration cycle continues. In addition, storage of the blood sugar in the liver and muscles as glycogen requires 4 molecules of water per glycogen molecule, so water weight adds up and the body loses water from the bloodstream, making us thirsty as well. Some other things that many (but not all) diabetics will notice are dramatic weight gain or loss, blood pressure swings, tingling especially in the feet, difficulty healing and yeast infections (at times all over the body and in the mouth as well)

Too much urine output could be from many different things, especially if it is not combined with excessive thirst. Diet is one of those many things that doctors often don't consider. Many things have diuretic qualities, such as coffee, tea, even substances that you may not think of as diuretics (such as many soda pop drinks and "energy sport drinks"). Since the periods of time you mentioned excessive urination are largely prior to tests, perhaps you are drinking too much caffeine?

Limiting your carbohydrates is a good choice for many people, diabetic or not, and cutting back on the junk in the junk foods is good for EVERYONE.

Congratulations on your good sense. I hope you learn a lot about your body here on the forum, and on your own as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello again,

So I cannot get the glucose meter because when I asked the test strips were about $90 ontop of the $35 meter. Thank you for the suggestion about that meter from walmart, but since I am from Canada that price apparently does not exist. For me to ship one would be very stupid since it will take a long time.

Anyways I was wondering if I should just go back to the doctor. I was thinking about doing an A1C test because at least then I don't have to fast. When calling the doctor office do I say I want to do a diabetes test? Or do I just sate my symptoms and then ask my doctor directly?

I also have to say no i don't think I have been drinking excessive caffeine. I don't like coffee, barely drink tea, and my preferred pop which is root beer is caffeine free.

I am also a little but confused on why my symptoms seem to change so much and why they tend to come and go if I can potentially have uncontrolled diabetes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.