The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If a person with type 2 ate a large bowl of chili made with kidney beans etc had cheese & sour cream on top. then a bowl of rice under it. Have test of 85 after.??

This is not me.. it is someone I know who eats most everything & says her tests are never over 100 & are 85/90.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
If she eats most everything, is not on insulin, and maintains non-diabetic numbers, then maybe she's not diabetic. Or has a rare form of diabetes. Or isn't being candid. Or ... er ...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think she is out & out lying about her numbers.

I just wanted to see if it is possable for a type 2 to eat food like she does & then get the low number.

she is on some meds but not insulin.

I know I can't eat food like that. :eek:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
"Diabetic" is a very broad term. People are diagnosed with A1Cs ranging from 5.8 to 16 and beyond and all are called "diabetic". Clearly, the people at one end of that range could eat very differently from those on the other end and get the same results.

Also, where the BG peak occurs can vary widely. Unless you're on CGM, just saying "after meal" was 85 doesn't mean a whole lot. Non-diabetics peak on average at 45 minutes. Diabetics on forums like this report experiencing peaks anywhere from there to 4 or even 6 hours after eating depending on meal contents and their individual conditions. Most of us test at 2 hours. Depending on lots of things, that could be on the way up, at peak or back down from peak. So, that one number alone doesn't tell you very much.

Then, of course, there's the notorious meters. My readings seem really consistent except once in a while I'll get a reading 20 or 30 points too low like 55 for example. An immediate re-test will get the real reading in that case 75 or 80. I never seem to get off-readings in the high direction, only occasional very low ones which I usually spot and re-test.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Salim's point about the timing of the test is a good one. High fat meals for example can delay spikes. Enough cheese and sour cream could qualify. That said it sounds pretty questionable to me based upon my own experience and what others have reported on various boards.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think as noted above diabetes covers a large range from prediabetic to totally insulin insuffiecient. Also if your friend is on certain medications it may allow her to eat more carbs than most of us can. Even on a low carb meal I have never seen an 85.

·
Registered
137 Posts
On the other hand with exercise all bets are off. I ate one of those packages of 6 mini chocolate donuts the other day. My pp was 100 which is a minor miracle. The only reason it wasn't 140+ was a few dozen deep knee bends the night before. If someone is in a job where they're on their feet all day they may be able to eat things I wouldn't dream of without going back to walking 5 to 10 miles a day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts