The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Been looking for a support fourm for 2 weeks now... Just got diagnosed with diabetes. Probably had it two years before I finally got blood work done.
ME:
I'm 41, married to a great woman, we have one child. I live in Kansas. in those 41 years I ate and drank whatever I wanted without a care. Now it's been two weeks and I'm pretty much scared to eat anything but oatmeal and salad.... LOL

I hope to contribute to this site once I learn the ropes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello all, Been looking for a support fourm for 2 weeks now... Just got diagnosed with diabetes. Probably had it two years before I finally got blood work done.
ME:
I'm 41, married to a great woman, we have one child. I live in Kansas. in those 41 years I ate and drank whatever I wanted without a care. Now it's been two weeks and I'm pretty much scared to eat anything but oatmeal and salad.... LOL

You're welcome to contribute any time you like . . . we all just help each other with whatever support we have to offer. We're glad to have you join us & hope we can help you relax about this.

Tell us what your numbers were (A1c, fasting BG, etc), if you remember them . . . and what kind of management has your doc suggested?

The discovery that most of us make is that our blood sugar behaves itself a lot better when we don't eat things that elevate it. The things that elevate it are carbohydrates (including oatmeal, it turns out. :()

But you can feast on protein & fats to your heart's content, and I really mean that. Whatever hogwash you see in the media, fats/protein do NOT raise the risks of heart/arterial disease.

The other discovery many of us make is that when we keep our blood glucose low, all the other medical maladies like high cholesterol for instance, have a way of falling in line & behaving too.

So just stock up on beefsteak, bacon, pork chops, chicken, etc., and get rid of all the bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, cereal grains, etc. Start using real cream in your coffee instead of coffeemate stuff, & get rid of the margarine in favor of real dairy butter. Low carb eating is terrific! :D

And if you're looking for even better research to back up our personal experiences, have a look at Blood Sugar 101 . . . this is one of the best & easiest to understand sources ever.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. The good thing is this disease is very manageable. I have to admit after 4 years of D I am so much healthier. I am back to my weight I was at in 1968, in college. I have tons of enery and routinely hike 8-10 miles with no problem with getting tired. I have had to make adjustments to my diet but I eat great, I just don't eat carbs. I eat steak, chicken, bacon, eggs, cheese, whipped cream, some berries and make lots of desserts with almond flour and coconut oil. I even make my own dark chocolate that actualy keeps my bgs low. I try to do some type of exercise most days and actually miss it if I skip a day because of the heat. Glad you found us.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. The good thing is this disease is very manageable. I have to admit after 4 years of D I am so much healthier. I am back to my weight I was at in 1968, in college. I have tons of enery and routinely hike 8-10 miles with no problem with getting tired. I have had to make adjustments to my diet but I eat great, I just don't eat carbs. I eat steak, chicken, bacon, eggs, cheese, whipped cream, some berries and make lots of desserts with almond flour and coconut oil. I even make my own dark chocolate that actualy keeps my bgs low. I try to do some type of exercise most days and actually miss it if I skip a day because of the heat. Glad you found us.
J - Do you have a recipe for your dark chocolate? :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, cortlinsdaddy.

Like most people, I was brainwashed for many years to believe that everyone should eat lots of whole grains (which are loaded with carbohydrates), cut way down on fats, don't eat much pork or beef, and only the lean cuts, etc. But when I found this forum and saw most people were advising just the opposite, it almost drove me to look for a different forum. Especially when my doctor and dietician were also telling me the opposite was true. But instead of bolting and running, I went to the bloodsugar101 website and did some reading. It was the best move I've ever made when it comes to diabetes because I learned the folks at this forum are right, and what we have been taught about nutrition all these years is wrong, and even moreso for a diabetic. So I hope you will take Shanny's advice and visit the bloodsugar101 site. It should be required reading for all diabetics.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

ME:

Hi Cortlinsdaddy and welcome. I think you will be able to get lots of good information here and make some pretty good friends at the same time.

I lived by Grand Island Nebraska before moving to the Philippines eight years ago. Guess that makes us almost neighbors:D.

Gene

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi, cortlinsdaddy.

Like most people, I was brainwashed for many years to believe that everyone should eat lots of whole grains (which are loaded with carbohydrates), cut way down on fats, don't eat much pork or beef, and only the lean cuts, etc. But when I found this forum and saw most people were advising just the opposite, it almost drove me to look for a different forum. Especially when my doctor and dietician were also telling me the opposite was true. But instead of bolting and running, I went to the bloodsugar101 website and did some reading. It was the best move I've ever made when it comes to diabetes because I learned the folks at this forum are right, and what we have been taught about nutrition all these years is wrong, and even moreso for a diabetic. So I hope you will take Shanny's advice and visit the bloodsugar101 site. It should be required reading for all diabetics.

Welcome to the forum.
I spent pretty much the whole night reading BS101! :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
ME:

Welcome to the forum. We're glad you're here. Where about in Kansas are you located? Coming from Wichita myself. I hope you find the support, information and encouragement you seek and that you'll visit us often.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'm in Topeka, Josh. Not far at all.
My a1c was like 12.6?? My fasting blood sugar was 378. I'm almost embarrassed to let that out, but it will get better. For breakfast I had been eating wal-mart instant oatmeal and my numbers were high. Today I had two eggs. I just installed ontrack on my andoid phone and I'll be tracking with that app instead of my little book the doc gave me. I go to the doc tomorrow for a 2 week follow-up. She will be impressed with my numbers I think. mainly because I have been eating healthy as opposed to how i used to eat. i'm hoping to have lost a few pounds as well.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
CD, welcome aboard

Think of it this way.....you spent 41 years eating crap and the like. Now it's time to grow up and eat to live, not live to eat.

·
Registered
741 Posts
hi and welcome CD...hope the doctor's visit goes well

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm still on the journey...keep testing and tweaking...you'll get there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts