The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Up until late February of this new year, I did a shabby job at carb counting. It was more, or less, guess-a-mating and it wasn't working. Once I started to get serious about my carbs, both at home and when eating out, I could see the results in my recent A1C.

On 2/9/11 it was a respectable 6.5, however, on 4/6/11 it was down to 5.7. That is a number I haven't seen since 2007. Of course, back then I was using diet and oral meds. I was switched to both a basal and bolus insulin in the summer of 2010.

My cholesterol was 147, and non-fasting triglycerides were 167, non-fasting. I have to go to non-fasting, because I have difficulty going longer than eight hours without food, seriously!

I would have to say that for anyone having trouble with their A1C's, get serious about carb counting, IT WORKS!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

G

·
that's a good result Paul :) I had my HbA1c done recently too and got 6.6% which is the best result for me in years... probably ever actually now that I think about it. I was always >7%... the same time in 2009 I was 9.2%... slowly going down from there. I agree watching carb portions is very important.

·
Registered
583 Posts
that's a good result Paul :) I had my HbA1c done recently too and got 6.6% which is the best result for me in years... probably ever actually now that I think about it. I was always >7%... the same time in 2009 I was 9.2%... slowly going down from there. I agree watching carb portions is very important.
Here's something that helps you watch carbs but still have pasta or rice or noodles: Shirataki MiracleNoodle Shop!

Eating Low Carb? Try Shirataki Noodles!​

* made of naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch. * contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories, no gluten-made of a healthy natural fiber called Glucomannan. * wheat & gluten free and kosher. * Easily absorbs the flavors of any soup, dish, or sauce. * are instant and come in a variety of styles. * have shown beneficial effects backed by medical studies for Type II Diabetes, Constipation, Obesity, and Cholesterol

My favorite doctor (Andrew Weil) says: "I'm a great fan of shirataki noodles. They're made from the root of the konjac plant (Amorphophallus konjac) that is widely cultivated in both China and Japan. The popular name for the root in Japan is devil's tongue or konnyaku. It is prepared there into foods that look like squares or strips of stiff gelatin, with a rubbery texture. The main component of the konjac root is glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber consisting of mannose and glucose sugars."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts