The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3# pkg. country-style spareribs
2 cups sauerkraut, drained
1/4 cup brown sugar sweetener (like Ideal brown no-calorie sweetener)
1 can condensed French onion soup

Place raw ribs in baking dish.

Spread sauerkraut evenly over ribs.

Sprinkle with no-calorie brown sweetener.

Pour undiluted soup evenly over all.

Bake at 350° (175C) for 3 or 4 hours until pork is falling-apart done. (extra thick meaty ribs may take longer - but they get nothing but better when the kraut & onions get all caramelized together.)

serving size = 1/6 of recipe
calories per serving: 450 (using Splenda brown sugar blend increases this to 498)
calories from fat: 242
total fat: 27g
saturated fat: 10g
trans fat: 0g
cholesterol: 167mg
sodium: 600mg
total carbs: 6g (using the brown sugar blend increases this to 14g)
dietary fiber: 1g
sugars: 1g
protein: 44g
vitamin C: 3%
calcium: 5%
iron: 11%

·
Registered
461 Posts
That sounds like supper tonight... Where did you find the brown sugar...?

bugg :) sweet boy can't find sugar

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't found a zero-carb brown sugar, but this Ideal brand can be found at Amazon, Netrition, et.al. I've been wondering too, if Walden Farms pancake syrup might work . . .

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
lol! Well you have the ribs & the recipe now, so enjoy! And I think I remember that you like savory more than sweet, so don't be afraid to back off on the sweetener - we use a Bavarian kraut which is already a bit sweetish, so ours turns out noticeably sweet - which is just what OWC likes. But oh the fat! heheh! ;)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I seriously doubt I could find a bavarian
kraut if I wanted to down here, but the ones I've tried are all sourish. I remember wanting the kind of Amish sausage I had in VA that came from WM and they'd never heard of it and said they couldn't get it.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Bugg said:
That sounds like supper tonight... Where did you find the brown sugar...?

bugg :) sweet boy can't find sugar
Albertsons here carries an artificial zero carb zero calorie brown sugar. It's a new product so the brand escapes me, sorry. But I it's at albertsons it should be in supermarkets.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
YUM!! This sounds really good!! I love kraut!! I am more of a savory person too so may just leave out the sweetener and add some grated carrots instead for a little sweetness.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use Ideal too, but it does have some maltodextrin in it. Wish we had Albertsons around here, but the nearest one is 430 miles! :(

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Shanny said:
I use Ideal too, but it does have some maltodextrin in it. Wish we had Albertsons around here, but the nearest one is 430 miles! :(
I'd gladly trade our albertsons for a whole foods at the drop of a hat!

Sent from my iPhone

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
That sounds like a winner Shanny. You got a little bit of old world blood in you I see.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Growing up in my house Mom never cooked pork with out rotted cabbage in the pan. Haven't had it for a long time. It will be like going down memmory lane. I'm second generation Swede on my mothers side.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Shanny said:
Y'think I could trade the Wally World for a Whole Foods?! ;)
Tryy best to avoid that for any food whatsoever since my DX. Too much processed high carby poor quality, just basic crap, there for my taste

Sent from my iPhone

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Made this on Saturday, used some really meatty and fatty country style ribs on a bed of rotten cabbage. That and a bottle of horseradish by my side was like having a drug addiction it was so good. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.