The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw a video this morning of Dr. Bernstein talking about him taking the Covid vaccine and it affecting his blood sugar. He said he didn't associate it with the vaccine at the time but for about a day and a half his BG ran low. He said he started getting reports from some of his patients that they had experienced the same thing. Some of the commenters said they also had low BG readings while others said they had the opposite effect, and others said they had no effect on their BG. I didn't read all of the comments, but one said it cleared up her hives for about 3 days.

Curious about the members and readers of this forum, those of you who have taken a Covid vaccine, did you notice any changes of your BG readings? Any other effects/reactions? First and/or second injection?

Would like to keep this thread limited to vaccine reaction responses. For those wanting to opine on reasons to take or not take the vaccine, please start a new thread.

Addendum: Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, MD. I saw it on FB.

Reactions: VeeJay

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw a video this morning of Dr. Bernstein talking about him taking the Covid vaccine and it affecting his blood sugar. He said he didn't associate it with the vaccine at the time but for about a day and a half his BG ran low. He said he started getting reports from some of his patients that they had experienced the same thing. Some of the commenters said they also had low BG readings while others said they had the opposite effect, and others said they had no effect on their BG. I didn't read all of the comments, but one said it cleared up her hives for about 3 days.

Curious about the members and readers of this forum, those of you who have taken a Covid vaccine, did you notice any changes of your BG readings? Any other effects/reactions? First and/or second injection?

Would like to keep this thread limited to vaccine reaction responses. For those wanting to opine on reasons to take or not take the vaccine, please start a new thread.

Addendum: Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, MD. I saw it on FB.
It is quite possible the vaccine will have an effect on Blood sugar. I know for me everything seems to effect blood glucose. I really have to be careful following shots of any kind. One type of shot I would warn all Diabetics to be careful of is Cortisone injections. That type of shot can do a serious number on readings. It makes my reading high all day for several days. I can't take them anymore. I will have my vaccine this Saturday. I will post if I have problems with glucose readings.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My blood sugar started running high and was not sure what to attribute it to since neither diet nor activity had changed. Got my vaccine (Moderna) 3 weeks ago and the high bg didn't start for a week so doubt it's related. Get my 2nd next weekend though and will pay attention so to report of any changes. I did stop chemo after discussing with oncologist to give my body best chance to develop as many antibodies as possible. Some in my community found some cancer markers changing after the vaccine, and read reports of a few long-haulers getting a bit of relief from residual covid symptoms after the vaccine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my first dose of Pfizer Vaccine Saturday. I was fine when I went to have the vaccine, and sick all day Sunday. Throbbing Headache, slight fever, chills, and that sickly tired feeling. I thought these are the same symptoms I had when I had Covid in Dec. It is Monday and I seem to be much better, but I still have a slight headache. The BG was not bad yesterday, but today is about 25% higher than normal and I have had less food, so It obviously is related to this vaccine. This is the same type of BG problem I have when I have had Cortisone shots for my knees. Though those shots give me readings as much as 50% higher for at least a week. I can no longer take those, but thankfully I haven't needed them in the last 2 years. So I don't know how many people have side effects from this vaccine. I think most don't. I'm someone that seems to be impacted by everything, so I'm not really someone to base on what will happen to others. I still have the 2nd dose to get March 20th. I can't say I'm looking forward to it if I'm going to be sick. However I will definitely be getting it. And so should everyone else.

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
Because it hadn't changed in so long, I started just spot-checking my FBG so I didn't even think of testing my BG after either dose of the (Moderna) vaccine. Both times I had arm soreness, fatigue, a disinterest in eating (that's how I knew I was a little ill), and some achiness. Second time was a little worse than the first. And, in both cases, pretty much everything was gone in 48 hours.

Since no one knows for sure how long the immunity conferred by the virus or the vaccine lasts, I'll try to remember for next time. It seems to me from measuring my FBG during other viruses and infections that mine likely went up after the vaccine. So I would expect that; I'll just be the scientist next time and confirm.

Thanks to the people weighing in with their experiences!

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
BH got her coronavirus vaccine (also Moderna) last week and only a little soreness in her arm, but nothing else. She didn't check blood sugar, but she's not diabetic yet.

[edited for accuracy by itissteve]

Reactions: etherea

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
ime the sore arm lasts longer than any of the other side effects.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My blood sugar did go up a bit after the 2nd Moderna, but I also had fever for a few days and enough fatigue that I napped a lot. Was thrilled to have a reaction (had none to the 1st one) - I have an immune system! :)

Reactions: etherea and mbuster

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
My blood sugar did go up a bit after the 2nd Moderna, but I also had fever for a few days and enough fatigue that I napped a lot. Was thrilled to have a reaction (had none to the 1st one) - I have an immune system! :)
I get my second Moderna in about 10 days--can't wait!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I had the first Pfizer my only reaction was the feeling of bruising (not severe, just nagging) in that arm.

I don't measure BG (I'd get too fixated), but I didn't get the sensations that low, nor high sugars give me.
However, specific vaccines are aimed at fitting the maximum number of people. It is impossible to be certain that an individual may not have an issue.
Being aware that some have, then it is worth telling a partner/friend to keep an eye on you when the second jab comes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have had both Pfizer shots and had no effect on my BG. With both shots, all I had was a little arm soreness for a few days. I did have the shots in different arms.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I got my second Moderna shot last Saturday. My BG has gone up some. If it went up after the first I didn't realize it because we ate Asian food to celebrate and it always negatively affects my BG. Too many hidden carbs!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had my first Pfizer shot a week ago and I did feel bad with low energy for about a week. Was more difficult to do things. Arm was not bad other than about 10 minutes after the shot my arm burned for a while at the injection site. FBS did change but mostly due to activity and diet change I think. I have a surgery coming up so my second is delayed a bit until 4-17.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got the J&J shot 2 weeks ago yesterday and did not see any significant change in BG levels.

Of a side note, I felt a little “under the weather” for about 2 days but that was all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts