The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

181 - 200 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yep - I'm pretty sure convection is the trick. I don't have one, but have been around them a lot in food service production kitchens, because they reduce baking time, besides producing good even browning.

So if I ever win the lottery . . .

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Made another lot today. Turned out much better but the ones along the side got burnt.

1. I took only Almonds this time (no walnuts). I did not soak them.
2. I also added melted home made butter (for the flavour)
3. Also added some more low sodium salt
4. Used only white sesame

Tastes much better. Very crisp this time. The color was also a consistent golden brown.

Only problem is that about half of them got burned. (The ones on the side). I did not immediately remove them from the oven after the second round of 45 minutes (even though the oven was switched off). Maybe next time I'll keep the second round limited to 30-35 minutes next time.

Still learning, but getting there

Guys I need your help.

I failed with this, i think. The crackers I made dont look good or taste good.

1. I took almond without the skin. I had soaked them in water overnight. Was that a mistake ? I also put in a few walnuts. I guess I should not have experimented....

2. Sesame seeds were both black and white. It was a mix. Was I to use only the white ones ?

3. The just seem bland, blackish brown in color. They are now crispy but taste bland...

Can you suggest some improvements. Can I put in a sweetner or something else for adding a flavor ?

Tony

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I have some I made around the beginning of Dec. and then left for a couple of weeks and they smell rancid now. Oh, how I hate to toss them, but I may crumble them and feed the birds and make fresh ones for me today. I guess I should have stored them in the 'fridge while I was gone! Love the crackers and gotta have some on hand all the time.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
I guess they were not dry all through if they did smell/taste bad.
Never experienced that with my crackers.
I keep them in a box with lid on the benk in my kitchen, and they are crispy and smells/tastes good even after a month there.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I agree with Optimist. I today had the last of a huge batch I made in Dallas a month ago and they were fine. Kept them in a monster-sized air-tight container - maybe that made the difference?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
She has a convection oven, and the crackers that came out of it were the best I've ever made. They were consistent in color, crispness, everything - as if factory-made. Now I wish I had a convection oven! (see what you started, Optimist?) It took a couple of hours on an adjusted lower oven temp, but the results were brilliant.
After all the batches I've made, I finally realized that a low temp and long bake (drying) time is the ticket. The last batch I did at 225 degrees F in a regular oven - and they were as consistent as the ones from the convection. Took a longer time - 2 hours or more - but oh was it worth it.

Am leaving for another 5-day road trip and today's cooking day in prep. Off to make more crackers! Optimist - dunno what life would be like without you. Adapting to GG crackers was never this much fun!

Reactions: optimist and Shanny

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
These are absolutely THE BEST crackers - oh, I am in heaven! I added dried, toasted onion flakes for a bit of flavor.

After all the batches I've made, I finally realized that a low temp and long bake (drying) time is the ticket. The last batch I did at 225 degrees F in a regular oven - and they were as consistent as the ones from the convection. Took a longer time - 2 hours or more - but oh was it worth it.
My first couple batches nearly burned. I've been experimenting with temps and times and have also found that there's less chance of burning if the temp is low.

My continuing problem is the pan surface. The dough sticks to my silpad - really bad. Same thing with a new pan with a very good non-stick surface that nothing else sticks to. Parchment paper gets soaked from the wetness of the dough and wrinkles up - and causes the crackers to be warped.

The best method I've come up with so far is to make the crackers in round shapes, on parchment paper, and then cut the paper between the shapes so each one is sitting on it's own paper, so to speak.

I place a heaping tablespoon of dough on the surface, place a small piece of waxed paper on top, and flatted with a small flat-bottomed dish, and carefully peel off the waxed paper. I get uniformly thin crackers this way. But they curl up when baking because of the parchment paper.

I haven't set my oven as low as 225F (been starting out at 325F, then turning the heat down to 275-250F after the first 10 minutes). I'll try 225F next time.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Parchment works perfectly for me. Perhaps you need to add a bit more psyllium husk to change the consistency, or try with a bit less water. I know a couple of times I sprinkled in a bit more husk and waited until it was workable.

And spreading is a breeze when using a second piece of parchment on top and just spreading out with my hands. The first couple of times I tried to use a spatula and it was labor intensive to get it thin and consistent enough.

I think I actually baked at 200 last time when it was so perfect. Mine now at 225 are drying out faster so I reduced to 200

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Update on temps. Moon, thanks for your tips.

Here's what seems to be working for me. The crackers aren't getting brown too soon now and come out dry and crisp.

reduced water by one quarter called for in recipe

Oven temps:

bake at 325F for 20 minutes

lower to 300F, bake 20 minutes more

remove crackers from parchment paper, break into pieces, and spread evenly on pan.

lower oven temp to 250F, crack open the oven door, and bake 40 minutes.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I place half my dough between 2 sheets of baking paper which I cut to the size of my baking trays & then use a rolling pin to even it out to the size of the paper, then remove the top layer of paper only & put the bottom layer with the dough in oven, then do the same for the remainder of the dough.
I find cooking them on bottom shelf of oven gives me a better result too.
Lovely with some onion & garlic flakes & some grated vintage cheese in the mix

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Latest variation: add 2 tsp cinnamon, 4 tbsp baking Splenda, and after they're done, spread with cream cheese. (Microwave cheese 10 sec at a time and stir until it's easy to spread.) So good!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I am wondering if you could put them in a jerky gun or a pastry bag with tip and make "cracker sticks"? I would think you could, the baking time may have to be adjusted.

Reactions: grammaB and Patdart

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I finally made my first batch today. My batter seemed watery even after sitting 10-15 minutes, but it did make it easier to spread into the pans. The cuts sort of disappeared due to the wetness so I pulled each pan out with about 10 minutes to go and recut them. I had a heck of a time getting the parchment paper off when I went to flip them. May have to get some slipat mats. (However, I've seen those fail too on many a Chopped episode on Food Channel!) The crackers were already very crispy and just a nice golden brown when I turned them. I did lower the temp for the next 45 min as I was afraid they would burn other wise. I munched while turning them over and they are just as awesome as all of you have said!!!! I have lots of broken pieces, but am looking forward to "cereal" for breakfast tomorrow......maybe tonight's snack!! :D

I might try making them a bit thicker next time, maybe they won't be as fragile when I flip them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
in Norway it is called Husk and there is two types of them.
Could you please send med the link again, in a PM? (I was told it was deleted cause it was in Norwegian...) I have found something called Psyllium FRØ, in bags.. The thing called husk seems to be sold in small medicine-like boxes?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
LoveBugMama
I sent you the link in a pm. In my box there is 300 gram. The link shows a picture of the box.

181 - 200 of 290 Posts