The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

201 - 220 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
This recipe will fill 2 baking trays and if you cut each baking tray in 10 pieces, each cracker is 1,44 carbs. Both the baking trays is in the oven at the same time.

100 gram almonds
200 gram sesame
50 gram flaxseed
1/2 ts salt
2 topped ss Psyllium hulls
1/2 liter cold water

I put the almonds in my Food Processor and chop them really fine. Then I mix everything in a bowl just using a spoon. Leave it for 5 minutes to make the Psyllium hulls to swell.
I set the oven on 160 degrees celcius hot air.
I put baking paper in 2 baking trays, and lay half of the dough in each baking tray.
I use a spatula to make the dough cover all of the tray. I use a pizzacutter to make 10 pieces in each tray.
I put both of the trays in the oven at the same time using hot air. After about 45 minutes I take them out, seperate the crackers and turns them. Then I put them back in the oven again, but now I have the ovendoor slightly open.
After about 45 minutes the crackers are dry all through and really crispy.
I let them cool on a grate. When they are cooled, I put them in a closed box, and they will stay crispy and tasty for more than a month (mine always been eaten at that time).
Enjoy!
Hello

sounds good, can you explain "2 topped ss Psyllium hulls" what does the 'ss' stand for, sorry for being a pain!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I made a batch of the basic crackers today to take to a friend's tomorrow. I am really frustrated with the parchment paper sticking to the crackers. It took me 1/2 hour to peel it off the crackers before I could turn them. A lot were broken in the process. Paper is just not working for me! I guess I have to invest in a couple Silpat mats to make this an easier process. I don't mind the broken pieces, they taste the same, but I wanted nice ones to take to dinner. :(

Really wasn't my day for cooking. I also made the Barefoot Boursin to take and when I got it all packed away in 1 cup containers, I realized I had forgotten the garlic!!!:doh: I mixed in some dehydrated garlic into the tub I am taking, hope it works out.....the ones for me well, they are just going to be herb flavored....

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
It will be tasty and the garlic powder will develop and be good. Just wear a big smile and all will be good! Silpats do make the turning easier, but I brought them from an 'earlier life'...ie pre-diabetes. Glad to have them now.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
It will be tasty and the garlic powder will develop and be good. Just wear a big smile and all will be good! Silpats do make the turning easier, but I brought them from an 'earlier life'...ie pre-diabetes. Glad to have them now.
Thanks Pat! :) I'll let you know how they like them. You were right about the garlic, I had some of mine on my asparagus with breakfast and the garlic did blend in well. I'll have to add it to the frozen batches when I thaw them out for use. I also sprinkled some crushed smoked chipotle peppers on top of mine for a little kick. Yum!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Crackers and Boursin were a hit!! :) My friend kept the left over crackers and her sister took home the left over Boursin! Yay, the crackers weren't beautiful, but they tasted good!!

For my first dinner out after dx I did OK, only things I couldn't eat were the potatoes and the dessert. I did eat the white chocolate straw off the cake though and small glass of champagne. Two hours after dinner I was at 95. Exercised when I got home ended up at 86. What a relief I was worried about what my numbers would be.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I made these this past weekend with my mother when we were visiting. They were outstanding. You would have thought they were store bought and not low carb. One thing we did that made the "rolling" out easy was divide the dough onto 2 pans covered in parchment paper, then using our hands, we pressed it out a bit then covered it with wax paper and rolled it out and it was a breeze! They were evenly thin and it was so easy with no mess. At the health food store we found some Hawiian black sea salt that we sprinkled over the top and it was fabulous and looked great. I found that I could eat as much as I wanted with cheese and after 2 hours my bgl was lower than when I had started.

Reactions: optimist and Shanny

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Round crackers

I shape the crackers a bit differently in that I make individual rounds. I found this actually easier than trying to get the dough to spread out evenly over a large area.

I have a different shape for different flavors. The savory crackers are a half moon (half of a 3-4" round). The sweet crackers are a small round (not divided). When I make taco seasoned crackers, I make them triangle shape (pie shapes from a large round).

Here's how I do it. It does take more time, but the finished product is quite nice. (I cut the parchment circles myself from the sheet, and also cut up the waxed paper pieces.)

These crackers were "toasted onion" - added a Tbsp of dried, minced toasted onions.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
hmm, VeeJay, from looking at your photos, I think my dough is still too wet. I held out 25% of the water last batch and it still wouldn't have made a ball like that. That could be why they stick to the parchment paper so much!

I'm waiting until I can get a couple silpats before I make them again. Next batch I'm going to add some chia seeds to see if that reduces the wetness some.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
hmm, VeeJay, from looking at your photos, I think my dough is still too wet. I held out 25% of the water last batch and it still wouldn't have made a ball like that. That could be why they stick to the parchment paper so much!

I'm waiting until I can get a couple silpats before I make them again. Next batch I'm going to add some chia seeds to see if that reduces the wetness some.
Gramma... I use 3/4 cup water to a HALF a recipe. (I always make a half recipe because it's only me eating them and that's two trays.) I find it isn't really necessary to wet the dough more than what takes to soften the psylium and make it stick together. Afterall, one of the purposes of baking is to dry them out. With less water in the dough, it takes less baking time to get crisp.

Also, I let the dough sit at least 15 minutes before scooping it out. Many times it's a half hour or more because I get sidetracked doing something else.

I know others use a silpat, but they stick really bad to mine, so I am staying with the parchment paper.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Gramma... I use 3/4 cup water to a HALF a recipe. (I always make a half recipe because it's only me eating them and that's two trays.) I find it isn't really necessary to wet the dough more than what takes to soften the psylium and make it stick together. Afterall, one of the purposes of baking is to dry them out. With less water in the dough, it takes less baking time to get crisp.

Also, I let the dough sit at least 15 minutes before scooping it out. Many times it's a half hour or more because I get sidetracked doing something else.

I know others use a silpat, but they stick really bad to mine, so I am staying with the parchment paper.
Lol, I make a whole recipe and its only me!! :D I gobble them down pretty fast, not a chance ever of them going stale!!

I used about that same proportion of water in my full batch. 1.5 cups instead of 2. Will go with less next time. May try once more then on parchment. I just so dread all the time spent pulling the paper off the crackers and the broken pieces created by doing that! I just might give your individual cracker method a try too. The time spent forming the crackers in the beginning probably equals all the time I spend peeling paper!

·
Registered
709 Posts
grammaB said:
Lol, I make a whole recipe and its only me!! :D I gobble them down pretty fast, not a chance ever of them going stale!!

I used about that same proportion of water in my full batch. 1.5 cups instead of 2. Will go with less next time. May try once more then on parchment. I just so dread all the time spent pulling the paper off the crackers and the broken pieces created by doing that! I just might give your individual cracker method a try too. The time spent forming the crackers in the beginning probably equals all the time I spend peeling paper!
Barbara I also make a full batch & on the rare occasion they start to lose their crispness I just whack them back in the oven for 5 minutes & they taste just as good.
I use 2 cups of water & haven't had a problem taking top layer of baking paper off

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
There must be a difference in the ingridients here in Norway and what you use.
I use 2 cups of cold water in this reciepe, and if I wait more than five minuts, the dough is so hard it is impossible to work with. Then I have to add some more water.
My dough is dryer than on your pictures VeeJay.
Which kind of Psyllium hulls are you using?

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Barbara I also make a full batch & on the rare occasion they start to lose their crispness I just whack them back in the oven for 5 minutes & they taste just as good.
I use 2 cups of water & haven't had a problem taking top layer of baking paper off

The top paper that I use to flatten them isn't the problem, it is the paper they bake on. It gets all crinkled from the moisture and maybe that is why it sticks. I think VeeJay may be on to something in that you really only need enough water to soften the psyllium to make them stick together. Maybe it is my elevation, about 3700', or my oven that is part of the problem. Maybe I just need more psyllium?

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
My dough is dryer than on your pictures VeeJay.
Which kind of Psyllium hulls are you using?
Whole Foods "365" brand Psyllium Husk whole flakes.

Re: wrinkled parchment paper.
Even with less water, the paper wrinkles. However, since it's a much smaller piece, it's not much of a problem.

I peel the paper off and turn the crackers over after 40 minutes. Even for a full sheet (which I do occasionally) the paper peels off easily with the thicker dough. I experimented today with scraping the crumbs off the parchment circles, and using the other side for the next batch. Worked just fine (I'm frugal by nature and hate to waste expensive supplies).

Here's my baking schedule: 325F for 20 minutes, turn oven down to 250F, bake another 20 minutes, peel off paper and turn over, then turn oven down to 200F for another 20 minutes. I seldom have to bake any longer, but if they aren't crisp, I'll keep them in the oven and open the door for another 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
709 Posts
grammaB said:
The top paper that I use to flatten them isn't the problem, it is the paper they bake on. It gets all crinkled from the moisture and maybe that is why it sticks. I think VeeJay may be on to something in that you really only need enough water to soften the psyllium to make them stick together. Maybe it is my elevation, about 3700', or my oven that is part of the problem. Maybe I just need more psyllium?
I use natural psyllium, after I add the water I leave the mix for about 10 mins before dividing in half for each tray, the mix is a bit sticky but not hard

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I know what you mean. I'm finding new toppings all the time and have to use some restraint or that'd be all I'd eat.

I bake some of these every few days - each batch is a different "flavor". I've used all kinds of seasonings for these. Then there are the sweet coconut "cookie/crackers" with shredded coconut in them and sweetened. They are really good. I've yet to try adding sunflower seeds, but just bought some yesterday so they will be next on the list.

·
Registered
709 Posts
VeeJay said:
I know what you mean. I'm finding new toppings all the time and have to use some restraint or that'd be all I'd eat.

I bake some of these every few days - each batch is a different "flavor". I've used all kinds of seasonings for these. Then there are the sweet coconut "cookie/crackers" with shredded coconut in them and sweetened. They are really good. I've yet to try adding sunflower seeds, but just bought some yesterday so they will be next on the list.
Oooh sunflower seeds hadn't thought of that, adding to my shopping list as we speak
I love adding onion flakes, garlic salt & grated cheddar cheese, they are so yummy with mashed avocado or salami & cheese as a snack with a glass of wine!

201 - 220 of 290 Posts