The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

221 - 240 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
There must be a difference in the ingridients here in Norway and what you use.
I use 2 cups of cold water in this reciepe, and if I wait more than five minuts, the dough is so hard it is impossible to work with. Then I have to add some more water.
My dough is dryer than on your pictures VeeJay.
Which kind of Psyllium hulls are you using?
Powder vs flakes was exactly the issue!!

I found Psyllium hull powder at the Good Food store this time I shopped. I made half a recipe of the crackers yesterday and it took the whole cup of water and was thick in less than 10 minutes. By the time I got it spread on the baking sheet it was almost too thick to work with. I'm thinking next batch I'm going to go 1/2 and 1/2 flakes and powder and see how that works. I also add about a Tbs of chia seeds to my recipe so that may add extra thickening properties. I started adding them when the batter was too wet. Don't need them now, but I like them so will add anyway.

G

·
Hey! I think I'll start adding chia to mine too!
Me too. I saw the jar in the pantry yesterday and thought I should put some in the next batch, then saw Barbara's post! I'm going to make a batch this morning when the kitchen warms up a little.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
My latest is adding Italian seasoning mix and dried minced onion. Then when I eat them I cover them with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. I could see a sprinkling of parmasan cheese, too (if I could eat dairy).

My supply is down. Must make them tomorrow - real early, 'cause it's going to reach 100F tomorow.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
This recipe will fill 2 baking trays and if you cut each baking tray in 10 pieces, each cracker is 1,44 carbs. Both the baking trays is in the oven at the same time.

100 gram almonds
200 gram sesame
50 gram flaxseed
1/2 ts salt
2 topped ss Psyllium hulls
1/2 liter cold water

I put the almonds in my Food Processor and chop them really fine. Then I mix everything in a bowl just using a spoon. Leave it for 5 minutes to make the Psyllium hulls to swell.
I set the oven on 160 degrees celcius hot air.
I put baking paper in 2 baking trays, and lay half of the dough in each baking tray.
I use a spatula to make the dough cover all of the tray. I use a pizzacutter to make 10 pieces in each tray.
I put both of the trays in the oven at the same time using hot air. After about 45 minutes I take them out, seperate the crackers and turns them. Then I put them back in the oven again, but now I have the ovendoor slightly open.
After about 45 minutes the crackers are dry all through and really crispy.
I let them cool on a grate. When they are cooled, I put them in a closed box, and they will stay crispy and tasty for more than a month (mine always been eaten at that time).
Enjoy!
Hi Optimist, only saw this recipe today, so off to our health shops to see if I can get the psylluim. Patdart is very creative with the options, so I will try it later this week. I so look forward to having a cracker myself. Im always searching in our supermarkets for a diabetic-friendly cracker. large variety but none this good I guess.
thank you.

G

·
Hi Optimist, only saw this recipe today, so off to our health shops to see if I can get the psylluim. Patdart is very creative with the options, so I will try it later this week. I so look forward to having a cracker myself. Im always searching in our supermarkets for a diabetic-friendly cracker. large variety but none this good I guess.
thank you.
I eat these crackers, made with the original recipe plus a tablespoon of chia seeds, for lunch most days (I eat 2). I make 12 per tray, and eat them with a tablespoon of butter and then add half an avocado (1/4 on each), or a tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter. I love the smell and taste of them.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Thankyou Patdart and AnnC. I will check Shanny's spreads and copy them.
Its been a major problem not being able to eat anything on breads or crackers, or even rice for that matter. I meant our stores stock large varieties, but nothing for diabetes, unless I missed it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have this cracker in the oven right now. just flipped it. it looks good. I cant wait to eat them. i made it plain as the original. Thank you Optimist. .

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
i've found in the humid summers we have here in Louisiana I have to add more baking time to make them dry enough. Be aware that they need as much time as it takes to be fully dried out in order to be crispy. Good luck!

G

·
i've found in the humid summers we have here in Louisiana I have to add more baking time to make them dry enough. Be aware that they need as much time as it takes to be fully dried out in order to be crispy.
Same problem with humidity here in summer. I've started using less water (1.75 cups instead of 2) and find that I get slightly thinner but crisper crackers. They occasionally crack while I'm spreading butter on them, but the butter and peanut butter/almond butter/avocado hold them together long enough for me to eat them. :D I store mine in a plastic container with a click-on lid and never have any difficulty with them going soft or mouldy.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My first problem. Not dry enough. left them in switched off oven hoping it would dry out but this morning still soft. Yeah it did seem like a lot of water for me too but the first bake is always trial & error.
Just when I thought I have finished cooking & baking for life and will either eat out or do 'heat & eat' from our great Woolworth stores, I have to do this now for my special needs. Not funny.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
just heat that oven back up and keep baking them...they WILL dry out. I've had to rebake some and it does work. I keep mine very thin for this reason and sometimes I bake them for 45 min. on each side or even longer. In my humid climate, it depends so much on what the humidity is. Keep the faith.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Its nice to see how many of you that loves the crackers, and also all the variation you makes.
Mine always get crispy, but sometimes they need a bit more time than usual, but thats okay. I forgive them the minute I can eat them:D:D

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
just heat that oven back up and keep baking them...they WILL dry out. I've had to rebake some and it does work. I keep mine very thin for this reason and sometimes I bake them for 45 min. on each side or even longer. In my humid climate, it depends so much on what the humidity is. Keep the faith.
Thank you Pat. I will do just that. thought I had it wrong. Back in the oven it goes. :)
Its cold here suddenly, but the Sun is out. We have snow in Johannesburg and everyone up there is over the Moon about it. They sending me lots of pics. Not used to it. Our climates have changed. Interesting.

221 - 240 of 290 Posts