The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

81 - 100 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Another name is: "Vidunderlig" cracker :)
I just put my crackers back in the oven for the 45 min suggested.........uh...did I mention that I need to work on patting the dough a little more evenly next time? As a result some of my crackers were a smidgen thin around the edges (what a shame cuz' now I can taste them early) I'm sort of glad the "Mr." is at work tonight because when they cool - I can have them all to myself :) :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
"Vidunderlige knekkebrød" (wonderful crackers) it would be in norwegian. :):):)
But you can call them whatever you like, I`m just glad you like them.
I love them for several reasons;
1) I can really enjoy them allthough I have D
2) When friends comes, it is nice to be able to give them something they think is really yummi, allthough I also can eat it.
3) It is easy to take some with me on trips

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
These Vidunderlige knekkebrød will be perfect for me to take with me when my husband and I go to the food market. There is a HUGE market about 25 minutes from our home and it takes much walking just to go through the entire store. Almost every time we shop for food I end up with very low blood sugar numbers.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
These crackers make good "cereal" too

I got around to crumbling these up with nuts for my occasional bowl of "cereal", and it's as good or better than Dr. Bernstein's GG crackers. Maybe we should alert him to these, y'think?! :D

Anyhow, I amended the GG granola recipe to include this option.

·
Registered
741 Posts
ok I'm now a total convert! oh so good...optomist you deserve medal....these rock!

·
Registered
741 Posts
we sure do....Ive been searching for a platform for yummy treats...this is perfection

·
Registered
741 Posts
ok I know I'm weeks behind everyone on the crackerfest but...my first batch were good but a tiny bit too thick...I rolled the second batch between 2 pieces of baking paper and got it very thin...worked much better...so I had to make some hummus :) I am soooooooooooooo delighted...*hugz optomist to smithereeeeens* thank you!

Reactions: Bugg

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
ok I know I'm weeks behind everyone on the crackerfest but...my first batch were good but a tiny bit too thick...I rolled the second batch between 2 pieces of baking paper and got it very thin...worked much better...so I had to make some hummus :) I am soooooooooooooo delighted...*hugz optomist to smithereeeeens* thank you!
lol . . . now you've got me saying "why didn't I think of that?!" Mine have definitely been uneven & I didn't particularly mind, but rolling between parchment pages is ideal.

I just gotta stop sprinkling them with cinnamon & xylitol . . . I can eat the whole batch in one afternoon & then there's none left for the cheese spreads. :( :rolleyes:

·
Registered
741 Posts
oh my first lot stuck to everything...lol...

um I was thinking flavouring them with sugarfree maple syrup and vanilla....

I also read you can grind sesame seeds and use it as a flour...

I LOVE food lol

·
Registered
741 Posts
ok ok I've been playing with this recipe and I managed to get it crazy thin...cooks way faster but........lol also I added sweetener and vanilla and ditched the salt and its yummo!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Wow ya'll have got me in a pure sweat. I just ordered everything except sesame seed. Hopefully you can get them at Walmart.

bugg;)a Georgia cracker

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Optimist...do you think the psyllium husks could be substituted with chia seeds? I'm a little afraid to use the psyllium husks because I have enough things that set me off to the bathroom, so I really don't want to have something that I KNOW will send me there. What do you think? I don't know if you have any knowledge of the chia seeds. Just curious.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I wish you lived nearby as I'd give you a few of mine to taste. The psyllium is a very small part of it, I'd go ahead and try it the way she tells. I've bought some chia seeds, but have yet to use them.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Unless you ate the entire batch of crackers at one sitting, I doubt you could notice any effect. Are you familiar with how Metamucil works? Same stuff.

The dosage for psyllium husks as a colon cleanse is one tablespoon, administered 1 to 3 times a day. The measure for the entire batch of crackers is two tablespoons. I'd say at least try it without tweaking it. I think you'll be surprised.

Optimist...do you think the psyllium husks could be substituted with chia seeds? I'm a little afraid to use the psyllium husks because I have enough things that set me off to the bathroom, so I really don't want to have something that I KNOW will send me there. What do you think? I don't know if you have any knowledge of the chia seeds. Just curious.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Wow ya'll have got me in a pure sweat. I just ordered everything except sesame seed. Hopefully you can get them at Walmart.

bugg;)a Georgia cracker
You can, Bugg . . . in the spice aisle. But you'll need several small bottles. Walmart doesn't sell it in bulk that I know of.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I`ve never used or eaten chia seeds, so I can really not tell how it will taste in the crackers, but ypu can try it. maybe split the recipe in half and test how it is?
I use psyllium in different stuff, but have never had trouble with it, although I have a stomach which give me lots of trouble with many kind of food.

·
Registered
741 Posts
i omitted the flax and used protein powder and psyllium to make up a cup and it worked fine...it seems to be a very forgiving recipe lol thank goodness

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I have a dumb question...but, save me some time and effort, please. I have the recipe in a couple of places, but on one I wrote "3/4 cup" almond flour and in the other I wrote '1 cup'. What are y'all using?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've still been weighing mine for 3½ oz., but I think it's about 2/3 to 3/4 cup. I'll try to remember to measure next time I make 'em, Pat.

81 - 100 of 290 Posts