The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

161 - 180 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
FWIW, most drug stores carry the husks/hulls because it's used for constipation...so much easier than finding a health food store.
I had to go to the health food store since I looked at every drug store in my area and none of them carried them. But, I finally bought a bag!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Did anyone list the measurements from Optimists crackers to regular old american system rather than metric? I am terrible at metric conversion. I finally got the psyllium, now I want to bake them!!!!! Please help out! I wanna be part of the optimist cracker groupies too! Thank you. :)
The conversions are there in the thread somewhere - actually in the first coupla/three pages, I think.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The conversions are there in the thread somewhere - actually in the first coupla/three pages, I think.
Thanks Shanny; I found them and just copy and pasted and printed. Gonna be baking tonight!!! I cannot wait!

Reactions: muck and Shanny

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
OOPS, I didn't give full measures, so here it is...maybe Shanny can move it near the top...

3/4 c. almond meal (flour)
1 c. sesame seed
3/4 c. flax seed
2 T. psyllium husks
1/2 t. salt
2 c. water

Measure out and stir in large cup. Let sit for 5 minutes or so. Spread thinly on Silpats on two cookie sheets. Cut with pizza cutter into squares. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes, pull out and flip and bake again for about 45 min. leaving the oven door slightly cracked. Let cool and break into crackers. If very thin, may not need so long. Store in closed containers.

1 carb or less per each. (The size I make them almost no carb)

May be flavored with garlic, basil or other choices. Some add sweet tastes to them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've slowly collected all the ingredients for the famous Optimist Crackers and they're currently in the oven cooking :) I'm super excited!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I Finally Made the Infamous Optimist's Crackers!

Wow, that recipe is so easy to make that I can't believe it took me that long to make them!

But, since I have made them now...WOWWEEEE! These things are great! My first impression was that they taste like a sesame bread stick you get in a restaurant. Yummy! I can't wait to use these when I eat tuna fish, egg salad, meat and cheese, PB and sugar-free J...anything and everything! I can't wait to make more and season with different things. I tried one right out of the oven with some CO and cinnamon...OMG! That was so tasty! I'm in love with these crackers already!

When I first mixed up the ingredients, I thought this can't be right because it seemed too soupy. But I set the timer on the microwave for 5 minutes and let it sit for the psyllium to absorb, and it is like a paste. I spread it out on the baking sheets and into the oven they went. Once I flipped them they only needed about 15 minutes or less with the oven door cracked open at 325 degrees.

Optimist, you should market these babies! I am now dubbing you the Cracker Guru! (I bow to thee)...:high5: They didn't have an emoticon that bows....so a high 5 will have to do!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I finally made them tonight too! They are delish! I can tell I'm going to have to make more soon. :) I leave the oven door closed all the time because I have curious cats.

I found that they stuck to the baking paper though. Can I just spray the cookie sheet with Pam and do them right on there?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I bake them on my Silpats that I used in the old days for baking breads and cookies. Glad you finally tried them. I find that they get stale if I make too many at a time...

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I found my silpat and made another batch of crackers, this time putting the whole recipe on one tray and adding garlic. NOM!

I think the only problem with marketing these is that they are so delightfully crispy they probably wouldn't hold up to shipping too well. Thank goodness they're so easy to make!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Guys I need your help.

I failed with this, i think. The crackers I made dont look good or taste good.

1. I took almond without the skin. I had soaked them in water overnight. Was that a mistake ? I also put in a few walnuts. I guess I should not have experimented....

2. Sesame seeds were both black and white. It was a mix. Was I to use only the white ones ?

3. The just seem bland, blackish brown in color. They are now crispy but taste bland...

Can you suggest some improvements. Can I put in a sweetner or something else for adding a flavor ?

Tony

This recipe will fill 2 baking trays and if you cut each baking tray in 10 pieces, each cracker is 1,44 carbs. Both the baking trays is in the oven at the same time.

100 gram almonds
200 gram sesame
50 gram flaxseed
1/2 ts salt
2 topped ss Psyllium hulls
1/2 liter cold water

I put the almonds in my Food Processor and chop them really fine. Then I mix everything in a bowl just using a spoon. Leave it for 5 minutes to make the Psyllium hulls to swell.
I set the oven on 160 degrees celcius hot air.
I put baking paper in 2 baking trays, and lay half of the dough in each baking tray.
I use a spatula to make the dough cover all of the tray. I use a pizzacutter to make 10 pieces in each tray.
I put both of the trays in the oven at the same time using hot air. After about 45 minutes I take them out, seperate the crackers and turns them. Then I put them back in the oven again, but now I have the ovendoor slightly open.
After about 45 minutes the crackers are dry all through and really crispy.
I let them cool on a grate. When they are cooled, I put them in a closed box, and they will stay crispy and tasty for more than a month (mine always been eaten at that time).
Enjoy!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Prob'ly didn't need to soak at all, but I doubt the lack of skin made a difference. What I had was almond flour made from blanched almonds, and it worked fine. Dunno what difference the walnuts would make either, unless they were bitter like black walnuts.

My guess is that the soaking may be the culprit. Unless they're really evil-tasting, you could spread butter on & sprinkle with sweetener; one of my favorite ways to eat 'em is with butter & sprinkled with a cinnamon/erythritol blend - it's my cinnamon toast.

But I've been wrong before - lessee what everyone else has to say! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My neighbor made some that were gosh-awful, and the only things I could figure on them was that they didn't dry out enough at a low enough temp, and she used white, untoasted sesame. I bought brown ones in California which worked, and assumed they were toasted but maybe they were just brown. Here in NC I got brown ones but also lightly toasted them in the oven beforehand to bring out the sesame flavor. You should be tasting the sesame in the cracker. My neighbor's tasted a little like barnyard food.

Also, I add a bit more salt - dunno if that makes a difference, but ...

Although the crackers are good plain, they are =great= as a vehicle for other things which is how I eat them 90% of the time.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I use untoasted sesame seeds, they kinda get toasted in the baking process. I'm thinking the soaking of the almonds may be the culprit, or maybe you had old, rancid almonds or walnuts? I haven't tasted black sesame seeds so can't say if they would taste different.

I've added garlic powder to them with very nummy results, but their real advantage is as a vehicle for other nummy things like cheese or meat (or smoked oysters or olives)...

I made one batch at twice thickness and I think I prefer the regular thickness. I even bought another silpat and a special smaller roller so I can make 2 pans at a time and roll it out evenly! That's how much I love these crackers. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My neighbor's were also thick, maybe that was a key difference then. Interesting about the sesame seeds, makes sense - then that wasn't the culprit. The sesame I used were brown, not black - has anyone noticed a difference in taste 'mongst various ones?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks Guys

Moon

1. You are right about the salt. I did not put as much as the recipe said. I was a little worried about my BP issue. So I put half as much was mentioned

2. I noticed that the crackers which were thinner taster better. I gotta find a way to make them uniformly thin.

Shanny

1. I am definitely not using the Walnuts next time. I just wanted to reduce the carbs further so I reduced the almonds a bit and replaced them with walnuts. Walnuts had lesser carbs in caloriecount.com. Bad move I guess.

2. I think the walnuts and black sesame seed spoiled the color. I will drop the walnuts and use only white sesame.

3. Can you also suggest to me a way I can sweeten or add a flavor to my crackers ? Is there something I can add to the dough before i bake them....?

I'm still learning ! Better luck to me next time.

I notice my current set of crackers work well with mayo or cheese dips. I'll finish this set dipping and eating !

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
When I make them, I use almonds with skin and I never soak them.
I sometimes use only white, and sometimes both black and white sesame. I sometimes use other types of nuts or seeds and it has always worked fine for me.
You can add some herbs or spices if you want to. I prefer to have them neutral since I then can use them to so many different things.

When you are going to have the dough on the baking tray, it is important the dough is not to hard. I f it is so hard it is difficult to maka a thin and even plate on your tray, I guess yoy have left it for more than five minuts. The tricks to fix it, is to add little more water in the dough.

First time I made those I didnt get them dry and crispy. To get them thin and crispy, they need some time in the oven with the door open in the end.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
During my recent road trip across the US, I was determined never to run out of Optimist Crackers - so I toted along the ingredients and made another batch at a friend's at the half-way point in Dallas. She has a convection oven, and the crackers that came out of it were the best I've ever made. They were consistent in color, crispness, everything - as if factory-made. Now I wish I had a convection oven! (see what you started, Optimist?) It took a couple of hours on an adjusted lower oven temp, but the results were brilliant.

Reactions: optimist and Shanny

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I think the use of a convection oven is the key to making them perfectly dry and crisp. For those with one, it's quite easily done following Optimist's instructions re leaving the oven door open for a while afterwards. A convection oven will circulate hot air throughout the oven and dry the crackers thoroughly. However, this feat is not as easily accomplished using a standard oven, therefore, it is of utmost importance to ensure you have spread out your dough thinly enough as, in this case, the crispiness will come from a non-circulating heat as opposed to a fan-assisted heat circulation. Either way results in fantastic crackers!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
When I make them, I use almonds with skin and I never soak them.
I sometimes use only white, and sometimes both black and white sesame. I sometimes use other types of nuts or seeds and it has always worked fine for me.
You can add some herbs or spices if you want to. I prefer to have them neutral since I then can use them to so many different things.

When you are going to have the dough on the baking tray, it is important the dough is not to hard. I f it is so hard it is difficult to maka a thin and even plate on your tray, I guess yoy have left it for more than five minuts. The tricks to fix it, is to add little more water in the dough.

First time I made those I didnt get them dry and crispy. To get them thin and crispy, they need some time in the oven with the door open in the end.
Thanks Optimist ! These are great suggestions. I also I see that I missed a few things in your procedure. I am going to correct these next time.

By the way I had my old crackers with cheese dips and hummus and they tasted good !

I made about 45 small crackers from the same amount of dough. So I think I was about 0.6 carbs per cracker :)

Reactions: optimist
161 - 180 of 290 Posts