The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on this forum earlier last year, then I got sidetracked. I'm not diabetic yet but I'm so close. Does anyone else have problems with low thyroid and adrenal glands and crash? I also seem to be allergic or intolerant of corn.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Have you been diagnosed with either or are you just asking. Just wondering because I have all of the things you mentioned and type 1 diabetes. Corn is not a problem though.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you say crash do you mean Blood Sugar Crash? Are you testing with a meter or just going by a feeling. Several years before I was officially dx'd with Type 2 I would have low bg feeling. Since I didn't have a meter back then, I can't be 100% sure, though. Many times in people who are not yet dx'd, there is some level of insulin resistance. When you eat meals, especially simple carbs, a great amount of glucose is created. Your pancreas makes enough insulin but for some unknown reason your cells don't recognise it. You need insulin to push the glucose into the cells to be used as energy. The pancreas keeps making insulin which floods the system. All of a sudden all the insulin hits at once, crashing our bg. Sometimes it is the speed of the crash not the lower bg itself that makes us feel bad. Also when our body makes normal stress hormones- adrenaline, cortisol, etc, those hormones signal liver to raise bg to deal with the stress. Then your body has to make more insulin to deal with glucose. It is like a circular firing squad, sometimes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blood sugar crash

Have you been diagnosed with either or are you just asking. Just wondering because I have all of the things you mentioned and type 1 diabetes. Corn is not a problem though.

Thanks so much for responding to my entry. I had blood work 2 summers ago that indicated I was low insulin. I've been on adrenal and thyroid supplements for 11 years. I have a meter,mostly just because I wanted to know what my blood sugar level was. It used to be really low 40-50 before I was on the low insulin diet. Now I run 90-120 OR when I'm stressed or angry sometimes 140 or higher. When I take an additional adrenal supplement meant for a crash (so says the local health food store) I'm usually feeling better within 24 hours.

It's the corn ingestion that I don't understand. According to my diet, corn is one of the many foods which i can't eat but sometimes it's really hard to avoid. I had to give up Mexican food because of it and I really LOVED Mexican food.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks so much for responding to my entry. I had blood work 2 summers ago that indicated I was low insulin. I've been on adrenal and thyroid supplements for 11 years. I have a meter,mostly just because I wanted to know what my blood sugar level was. It used to be really low 40-50 before I was on the low insulin diet. Now I run 90-120 OR when I'm stressed or angry sometimes 140 or higher. When I take an additional adrenal supplement meant for a crash (so says the local health food store) I'm usually feeling better within 24 hours.

It's the corn ingestion that I don't understand. According to my diet, corn is one of the many foods which i can't eat but sometimes it's really hard to avoid. I had to give up Mexican food because of it and I really LOVED Mexican food.
What adrenal suplements are you taking. If they are just herbal then you are much better of. If you are using corticoid steroids like Prednisone or Cortisone AC then the chances are that you your blood glucose levels will become harder to control without more treatment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What adrenal suplements are you taking. If they are just herbal then you are much better of. If you are using corticoid steroids like Prednisone or Cortisone AC then the chances are that you your blood glucose levels will become harder to control without more treatment.
Actually, I'm using supplements because when I noticed i had no energy my doctor at the time never did a referral or any blood work, so I saw a nurse outside my health plan. She went with the Progena company at the time. A local chiro with a store carries the brand. My adrenal supplement is complicated concerning the contents and I don't want you to have to read a bunch of ingredients BUT the thyroid contains: thyroid tissue/adrenal tissue/pituitary tissue/thymus tissue/spleen tissue/kelp. I guess I should count my lucky stars, huh? I am also concerned about my personality ups and downs. Some days I feel that I have a great sense of humor while other days I just don't have the energy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
if i were you I would go and ask my Doctors to run a full cortisol screen including an ACTH tolerence test. If you really have adreanal problems over the counter supplements won't do what you really need to feel better. I take 200 mcg of synthroid for my thyroid and 5.0 mg of prednisone and .05 mg of fludrocortisone and 25 mg of DHEA for my adreanals

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i were you I would go and ask my Doctors to run a full cortisol screen including an ACTH tolerence test. If you really have adreanal problems over the counter supplements won't do what you really need to feel better. I take 200 mcg of synthroid for my thyroid and 5.0 mg of prednisone and .05 mg of fludrocortisone and 25 mg of DHEA for my adreanals

Replying to this has taken a while since I lost my password. The problem in the situation is that my doctor is Eastern and Western medicine and rarely writes a prescription. Any idea if a chiropractor would write a prescription for adrenal and thyroid issues? If not, I'll see the primary care and just simply bring in the supplements and have him see if he can duplicate with a prescription.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts