The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend was kind of hard. Figured there is no other place I would want to share about it than right here.

On Saturday morning we got up early, around 5:30 (hey, it's early for me) to drive my BABY sister to college. I guess she isn't a baby anymore. She is going to school about 3.5 hours away in Oklahoma. I am so proud of her but it was a really hard day. Katlyn and I have always been exceptionally close. We went to a private school that offered grades Kindergarten through 12th so we rode together to school every day. We went on special dates, watched movies together and, most importantly, wished each other a good day when one of us was leaving in the morning. :Cry: I really enjoy her and will miss her so much. It was hard for my parents and me to say good bye to her on Saturday. Especially with all the decent looking young men on that campus. They had better watch out! :fencing:

Anyway, for the last couple months my GF has been experiencing some pretty weird symptoms. Her doctor thought it was either diabetes or a thyroid problem. Luckily the test results came back today and it is hypothyroidism. She's on medicine now and hopefully it will correct her symptoms before too long.

Sorry to ramble on but I can't think of another large group who would care as much as you guys. I love this place!

Thanks and have a great week!

Reactions: moon and Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
(((Josh)))

Sounds like your baby sis is a lot like mine - the apple of my eye! :D

Good to hear diagnosis/treatment for you GF - hoping she'll feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is such a great girl. She is motivated and studious. A 4.0 in high school. My parent's favorite child. ;) We got along so well growing up. We are about as close to best friends as siblings of the opposite sex can be.

Thanks for your kind words. I will keep you updated. I know how much you like her.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It is hard to see someone we love move to another step in their life. I remember dropping my youngest off at college 4 years ago. I think it was even worse seeing her graduate in May. Next month she will be leaving for Spain to work there for a year or two. Now, that is going to be tough. We get so used to having our loved ones around all the time and not seeing them for a year will be tough.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Josh,

Your sister is one lucky young woman to have a brother like yourself. I felt much the same as you do when my youngest son went off to college. It left a hole in my heart, but life goes on.

Your sister could tell any of those "good looking young men" that might want to date her that they have to pass a test given by her brother before she will go out with them :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does leave a hole. It is great to see her maturing and branching out. She was kind of an introvert early in life but she blossomed into a nice, outgoing young lady. I couldn't be more proud. I think my family all thought she would stay in town for college and I would move away and it actually happened in the opposite way.

Those boys will never see a test like the one they will have to go through to get her on a date. I'll drive 3.5 hours to administer it, if necessary. ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Is she at OU in Norman. My niece is starting her sophomore year and loves it. Her whole family went there and they still live in Norman. I guess once a Sooner, always a Sooner. We usually go down there for a football weekend in the Fall. It is a great school. I have put 5 kids through college and there all now off on their own. It does leave a hole in your heart. But I figure as a mom, letting them fly away is part of the job.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Jeanne! Our middle grandson is starting his sophomore year at Norman too!

And then keeping our mouths shut, right?! That may be the hardest part - refraining from giving advice unless/until asked! :D
Actually she is going to Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee. That's about 30 minutes east of Oklahoma City. I thought about going to OU. My family raised us all as Sooner fans. She loves OBU and is already getting really connected.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My mom grew up in Oklahoma way back in the 20's. My grandad was a farmer and put 5 daughters through college during the Depression. My mom went to Oklahoma College for Women. I think now it is a State College. In 1990 she went back for her 60th college reunion. It was amazing how many were able to come. I can't believe I will celebrate my 40th reunion next year. Yikes, I can't be that old.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will be celebrating my 1 year anniversary next May. That simply means I've been done for about 3 months. It didn't hit until all of these people started going back to school. It's like, wait, what? I'm supposed to be in school right now? What's going on?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts