The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
784 Posts
so I could not find any liquid splenda so I bought the ez sweetner in packets! Do you know how many packets it takes to make 1/2 cup??? I don't either but I think about 40 to 50 lol

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Your muffins look good - pretty much the way mine come out. They aren't going to be stiff like a regular muffin, and do fall apart a bit.

I keep mine in the frig, and eat them with sour cream.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Your muffins look good - pretty much the way mine come out. They aren't going to be stiff like a regular muffin, and do fall apart a bit.

I keep mine in the frig, and eat them with sour cream.
Oh good! I didn't know at all what to expect because I could only find a few mini muffin pictures. They are kind of gooey and may to sweet so next time I will use only half that sugar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Yeah, I don't use much sweetener in mine, and typically use so much less than recipes call for.

Reactions: Patdart

·
Banned
784 Posts
Yeah, I don't use much sweetener in mine, and typically use so much less than recipes call for.
depending on how they taste will determine if I make them again. Can you microwave them later>? I'm just afraid I didn't cook long enough because they were so loose and wet inside.

·
Registered
583 Posts
First batch came out okay, though I note that the recipe as given fills up the muffin tins only halfway. (Though that's not a big deal.) I had no vanilla so I went with just the cream cheese, eggs, and Splenda, and sprinkled a little cinnamon on top of each just before they went into the oven.

Definitely going to check out more recipes on this board. :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Second batch is cooling now... This time using a mixer instead of whisk by hand, so the mixture was a lot smoother. Filling the muffin tins to about 2/3 full made for a batch of 8; the tins are 3" wide across the top, so that may be a factor here...

·
Registered
169 Posts
These were delicious but I miss chocolatey things too.....sigh....but its all good when I see those lower numbers..
Do you know Russell Stover mkes sugar free chocolates? Look for them in the pharmacy area or around diabetic supplies. They come in small green bags. I find1-2 ocassionally satisfies my chocolate craving and does NOT affect my blood sugar.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Do you know Russell Stover mkes sugar free chocolates? Look for them in the pharmacy area or around diabetic supplies. They come in small green bags. I find1-2 ocassionally satisfies my chocolate craving and does NOT affect my blood sugar.
Yeah, I bought Russell Stover all the time because they were, well, Sugar Free . I thought that meant free, like they made no difference. After I started keeping track of my bg I learned what sugar alcohols were and the Russell Stover has , for two pieces, 19g of total carbs of which 14g is sugar alcohols. I understand that as rule you can subtract 1/2 of the sugar alcohol so two pieces would be about 8g total carbs. If that is good for you then great however it isn't for me so I quit them. I now make my own chocolate " fat bombs " for a total of about 1.7g carbs each and one is all I need as they are filling. It lets me spend my carbs on other things that are a lot more nutritious.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Yeah Pat, that's exactly how I have started to think about it. Since I started to really try to keep my bg in line I have found that I have to keep my carbs down to under about 25 a day to be successful so each carb is dear to me. :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have never seen a sugar free ready-made candy that is low carb, plus they don't taste very good to me, so I stick with the low carb fudge and fat bomb recipes.

·
Banned
784 Posts
I now make my own chocolate " fat bombs " for a total of about 1.7g carbs each and one is all I need as they are filling. It lets me spend my carbs on other things that are a lot more nutritious.[/QUOTE said:
can you share how you make your own fat bombs? I'm on here searching for things to eat that don't have a ton of protein and i'm looking specifically for a muffin but forgot what it was and found this along the way.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I use this recipe:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/15594-pb-fat-bombs.html
but if you use the search box to the right where it says "Find the Information You Need" and put in fat bomb you will find several.
I bought the Wilton candy mold on Amazon and I doubled the recipe and it makes 24 pieces. Easy to make in the Microwave and only takes a few minutes. I figured they are 1.7C/12F/2P each. One is usually enough to satisfy me but two wouldn't hurt. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Those Russell Stover s/f chocolates are addictively delicious (they really really are, Gizmo! lol!), but I learned the hard way too . . . absolutely not diabetes-friendly, and loaded with sneaky carbs that the food industry swears won't spike us, but they spike us all the same! :mad:

21 - 40 of 65 Posts