The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a recipe for homemade "Cream of Tomato Soup"? I've liked the Campbell soup variety for years but it has so much sodium. I would like to try to make my own....not that it would always turn out great...but I would still like to try :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Strawberry . . . my homemade tomato soup doesn't taste at all like the canned condensed kind, but here goes.

I prob'ly use about equal amounts of tomato juice & heavy cream. Just heat the tomato juice & add a pinch of baking soda along with your seasonings of choice (salt & pepper - perhaps red or white pepper instead of black - maybe a splash of tabasco or worcestershire sauce). Be sure the pan is big enough to allow a little frothing up when you add the soda.

When the tomato mixture is simmering, add the cream & reheat to serving temperature - do not allow to boil.

Again, this isn't meant to taste like Campbell's - it's just the way my mom made tomato soup & I've adjusted it for lower carb by using cream instead of milk. Bon Appétit!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shanny. My Mom used to make tomato soup this way too, but unfortunately she never passed on that knowledge to me :) I'm sooo happy to be able to try it for myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts